Community TF cartoon rewatch thread v1.0: The Transformers (G1)

Discussion in 'Transformers Cyberverse and Cartoon Discussion' started by Liege Nemesis, May 31, 2019.

1. Liege Nemesis

Liege Nemesis Well-Known Member

Well, then you'll be happy if we get through the Japanese G1 shows.

Alternatively, if we're going by just the western continuity then I'm sorry, you're wrong. We both know the only one who actually survived the movie was Brawn. We have visual evidence. Here he is fighting alongside Hauler and Huffer (who got called to action while he was getting ready for a halloween party and had to go to the battle in his Gears costume):
    [​IMG]

This place needs a sarcasm smiley. It's hard to be cheekily sarcastic with just laughing ones. And I'm never sure if my snarky jabs like above with the "you're wrong" part properly come across as me being a flippant smartass instead of legitimately looking like a contrarian jerk.

Yeah, I probably shouldn't be so hung up on it. I don't know why it bugs me the way it does.

True. I forgot about that. But what about the fish? Giant, organic fish? How would they survive on a planet that would offer them no nutrition? Or do the Autobots secretly feed the fish and maintain it like one of those fishing ponds that you can take kids to so they can catch a trout in a 5-foot deep pool for a few bucks?

Last edited: Nov 18, 2019
  2. RKStrikerJK5

RKStrikerJK5 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Possibly. Maybe after millions of years of death and destruction, some of the Autobots want to nurture life and construction?

3. Distant1

Distant1 Well-Known Member

I think with known Transformers there is a sweet spot and as a kid, I was mentally heading out of the show with all the introduction of new transformers and this episode is almost a bridge too far. That being said I think Grimlock's New Brain is reasonable episode, at least Cosmos is in it and Omega gets a mention, no such luck for Skyfire.

My main gripe is they bring back Slizardo but why could they not bring back Devcon. On Slizardo and his accomplice, could they not have got Frenzy and Rumble to the same job or Runamuck and Runaround (I think they are the battlechargers names).

4. Liege Nemesis

I think bringing Devcon back would've complicated things because it would've meant a subplot about Devcon hunting Slizardo for turning on him or something like that (since Devcon obviously wouldn't be party to working for Galvatron). You're right that it probably would've worked better if they just had the Skuxxoid sell the stuff to Rumble and Frenzy or the battlechargers and let them do the episode's heavy lifting, though I guess perhaps that was considered impossible since the anti-electrons were supposed to futz up Cybernetic circuits and would've mean that the sabotaging Decepticons would've been exposed to it just the same as the Autobots.

Also, the other battlecharger (the black one. Runamuck is the white one) is Runabout, not Runaround.

I had planned on having Money is Everything up tonight, but like with Only Human it's taken me like 3-4x the runtime of what I've watched to write stuff down and I'm only just past the halfway point of the episode. I promised myself I wasn't going to stay up til 2am and yet here I am nearly at that point.

So I'll finish it off tomorrow before switching the active episodes over to the second to last batch. Our last 2 weeks are going to have to be a 5-episode batch and a 3-episode one because of The Return of Optimus Prime and not wanting to separate its parts, but I haven't decided for sure yet if we should do the entire rest of season 3 next and then the Rebirth stand alone as the final week, or do the last 3 stand-alone episodes and end our last week of G1 with a 5-episode, 2-story blowout.

Also I think after consideration I'm leaning towards doing Headmasters next. Access for everyone to watch it is an issue since it's not streamed anywhere like G1 is and the best option I can find online is a dailymotion account that has the Japanese language track with no subtitles. Youtube only has accounts with a couple of Omni dub episodes or a fandub that was done up to about episode 4 before it stopped. I might be able to provide a workaround, but I don't want to promise anything publicly until I know if it'll work or not.

5. Distant1

Good points, my main thing is not so much to bring back Devcon for this episode, but a episode in season 3.

On Rumble, Frenzy, the Battlechargers, for good plot reasons they were not used here but you think that they could have been used to hunt Octane (rather than a Skuxxoid in Starscream's Ghost).

6. Scoff

Scoff Well-Known Member

Shockwave.

When he went to Earth briefly back during The Autobot Run, he stopped by a local carnival and used his impressive skills at ring toss to win several bags of goldfish which he then brought back to Cybertron to use as test subjects in his size-changing ray project. Since energon was sparse, he couldn't very well use the space bridge to acquire fish food from Megatron every other week so he modified them to be able to survive off of metal while retaining a mostly organic body.

After his death, the Autobots liberated the fish from his laboratory but since they couldn't be returned to Earth due to the irreversible changes made to their biology, they were instead released into an artificial river made by the Autobots. Unfortunately, without a natural predator (or Shockwave), the fish began to rapidly breed and ultimately, started to eat Cybertron itself.

After trying and failing to solve the problem with robot gorillas, the Autobots finally managed to successfully introduce a predator species that could curb the rogue fish population - the Dinobots.

7. RKStrikerJK5

News Credits:
    Considering this is the Sunbow cartoon, that's almost crazy enough to work.

8. Scoff

Scoff Well-Known Member

Here's a fun little tidbit from the trivia section of Starscream's Brigade. When Megatron arrived at the train station and asked where Starscream is, Soundwave originally had a line that revealed Megatron had forgotten that he'd ousted Starscream.

That's right. You heard me. Megatron seriously forgot that he'd exiled his second-in-command for treason. Suddenly, it doesn't seem so odd that Shockwave would completely unaware of this little change in leadership in the follow-up episode.

In my review of the episode, I was actually planning on bringing this up and deciding that my new favorite headcanon for G1 Megatron's origin is that he's a semi-senile old man that escaped from a retirement home on Cybertron to become an intergalactic overlord. Oh, and that Soundwave was his nurse.

What I'm getting at is that this show is so silly in its absurdity that it actually surprises me and I went into this show well-remembering the giant purple gryphon plan.

9. RKStrikerJK5

News Credits:
    I really wish I was around for seasons one and two. I so wanna speculate on how many people died during Megatron's Master Plan without simply going, "Zero", which admittedly sounds more than a little morbid. ;) 

10. Scoff

Scoff Well-Known Member

Heck, Megatron lowering the temperature of the Earth in Fire in the Sky should have had some severe ecological consequences.

Speaking of ecological disaster and death, I'm reminded me of Bruticus' Revenge. In that, we see a village on fire because of the episode's shenanigans. Blades, a Protectobot, is doing a rescue operation and lowers a basket to fly people to safety. We see adults and kids running towards him but when he flies away, we only see adults in the basket.

The tfwiki lovingly points out that this implies that the adults ditched the kids and left them for dead to save themselves.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2019
  11. RKStrikerJK5

News Credits:
    Or the Ultimate Doom, which managed to treat Cybertron being moved into Earth's orbit with far more seriousness and consequences than Dark of the Moon. We see a town get wiped out and have a follow-up episode to it!

12. Liege Nemesis

This makes too much sense not to be true.

and now I'm picturing Cybertron like Australia at the end of that Simpsons episode where Bart took a bullfrog with him.

13. Liege Nemesis

Blades only helps those who help themselves. After all, we know that Blades is the crazy one out of the Protectobots.

Now you know what I want in retrospect? An episode all about the loudmouths/jerks/lunatics in the Autobot ranks banding together like some sort of crazy last-resort special ops unit. Blades, Strafe, Slingshot, Slag, G1 Whirl (who it seems never got a cartoon appearance because of his licensing issues like the deluxe Insecticons and others)... Think about how fun that would've been.

14. Liege Nemesis

MONEY IS EVERYTHING

THE SHORT VERSION
    Considering Dirk Manus is basically Han Solo played by 1970s Burt Reynolds, I'm a little sad they didn't work Arcee into the story somehow. Or maybe I'm not.

REVIEW
    I was pleasantly surprised at how well this episode worked. It's an economy cast and a spotlight on a pair of recently introduced teams with zero input or importance out of any of the rest of the series' heavy hitters. It's also a human-heavy story that spends a lot of time focusing on bit-supporting player Marissa Faireborn and a totally-not-Han-Solo lovable rogue of a trader and their slap-slap-kiss sorta romance and series of double-crosses. It seems like a prime episode to simply not work because of its wonky concept. But ultimately It ends up being really good.

The focus on just the Technobots gives us time to really get to know them better and get characterization out of them instead of just a single one-liner. And it works to make them more interesting and give them some good interplay. The Terrorcons don't make out nearly as well, but given that they are mostly defined as being angry, loud, violent, dumb muscle I guess there's a good reason not to spend too much time lamenting their apparent slavery to the Quintessons (though it would've been good to know how and why they were in that position to begin with)

But what ends up shockingly carrying the day is the Marissa/Dirk Manus story. In a franchise where most peoples' reaction to human characters is "get them the hell out of the way so we can watch more giant robots", I'm surprised at how engaging their banter and simplistic romantic comedy plot ends up being. It makes me wish they had been able to follow through on their promise to have Dirk back at the episode's end. But I guess that wasn't meant to be given that we're coming to the conclusion of the series. Still, as one of the last episodes to feature her prominently, it was a reminder that G1 did a decent job of making likeable human characters who weren't Witwickys (or at least who didn't start as Witwickys as the case may be for Carly).

The end result is an episode that's not perfect by any means, but is very solidly enjoyable and another high point for season 3's tendency to be a bit experimental in their story type, which balances out somewhat with the other tendency to short-change interesting plots by making them worse than they could've been or cramming them into 22 minutes when they could've used more time.

THOUGHTS AND MUSINGS
    -This is the second and last episode from the then-husband-and-wife team of Carla and Gerry Conway. I've already gone over his history in "Forever is a Long Time Coming", particularly that he was Marvel's editor-in-chief for a while and wrote the famous Spider-Man story line that culminated in the death of Gwen Stacy. But I guess I just mentioned it again. So... moving on. :lol 

-After several AKOM episodes, it's nice to have Toei back at the helm. Look at that gorgeous starfield in the opening sequence.

-Man, I wasn't kidding when I said that Strafe sounds like he's coked up. He's displaying far beyond a usual level of enthusiasm.

-Strafe shoos down the guy they're supposed to save and then gets tackled mid-air by Hunn-Grr. Geez, Strafe, lay off the drugs and maybe you wouldn't be so bad at your job.

-Speaking of the tackle, it seems like the animation didn't line up properly, as he turns over and floats down off screen well before he's even touched by the Decepticon.

-Is it just me or does it seem like the animators went to more effort in this episode to make Marissa look a bit prettier than usual? Her eyes seem a bit larger and her face is more delicately drawn. Maybe so they can pay off her interactions with Manus?

-In a series that so heavily leaned on using Star Wars sound effects (seemingly cribbed right out of prints of the movie so that they included layered other effects and even remnants of surrounding voiced lines) the sound of the master viewscreen in Autobot City when the Technobots are watching is very blaantly a Star Trek scanning/bridge noise.

-Interestingly, as an episode that prominently features the last two combiner teams to be introduced in the series, the Terrorcons and Technobots share several voice actors. In fact 3 actors each cover a member of both factions:

Stephen Keener: Scattershot and Hun-Grr (of note he was also multiple characters in The Rebirth, including Fort Max)
    Jim Cummings (yes, that Jim Cummings): Afterburner and Rippersnapper
    David Workman: Nosecone and Sinnertwin

Additionally, Tony St. James plays a pair of Terrorcons (Blot and Cutthroat).

Danny Mann
    (Lightspeed) and Steve Bulen (Strafe) are the only actors voicing a single member of the groups. In another quirky fact, the voices of Computron (Bert Kramer) and Abominus (Jim Gosa) share the fact that each character is their actor's only role in the franchise.

Just to round out the important members of the cast, Dirk Manus is voiced by recurring series contributor Charlie Adler.

-Lightspeed does a really fine job figuring out Hun-Grr's weakness and coordinating an attack to exploit it. Meanwhile Scattershot gets up from being downed in the attack and brushes off Lightspeed's help by assuring that he and Strafe could've handled things themselves with no assistance. Remmind me again why Scattershot is the leader of this team instead of Lightspeed? I mean aside from the fact that Scattershot is the torso-bot in their combiner configuration.

-Actually the one interesting thing already is that we're about 3 minutes into the episode and they've had a little moment to help establish each of the Technobot's basic personality types and give them something of a team dynamic. not only is that more than they got in Grimlock's New Brain during their debut, it's more than most combiner teams have gotten since the days of the Constructicons, Stunticons, and Aerialbots. Why no, I'm not still bitter about how badly the Protectobots got shafted by the writing staff. Why do you ask? :lol 

-Speaking of quick introductions, besides the gruff, snarky bit of complaining he did about the lack of rescue, Dirk Manus gets a quick overview of his characterization as a slick ladies' man via his introduction of himself to Marissa.

-Fake science note (with real science addendum): There is no such star as Epsilon Ariadne. Thanks to TFWiki and actual Wikipedia, the name seems to be based on an outdated star naming system from the 1600s in which a German astronomer gave names to stars based on the constellation they were part of and greek letters (alpha, beta, gamma, etc) in descending order of brightness. Epislon Ariadne would theoretically be the 4th brighest star in its constellation, except that a) There is no Ariadne constellation (though the name is from a character of classical Greek mythology) and b) even if their was, the star name would be a modified version, not the name verbatim (for example, the stars in Orion were named with the modification "Orionis". It's worth noting that some elements of this system live on in sci-fi where the greek lettered system makes for cool names, and in a handful of pop-culturally relevant stars like Alpha Centauri, the closest star system to our own. That said, there is a real star called Epsilon Eridani, so maybe there's a small chance this was a typo or a misinterpretation of the name on the part of the authors.

Right about now you can play the "the more you know" jingle. I promise I'll go back to talking about cartoon robots from now on. And maybe cartoon humans

-The Technobots' merger into Computron is done with a weird glowing effect that no other combiner team has and seems solely designed to let them just straight-up cheat the combination by removing the need to show intricate transformations into their respective limb and torso modes. How very AKOM of them. Except AKOM probably wouldn't even use the glow effect.

-Marissa states that Computron has the computational ability of 200 super-computers. I will grant that we're talking about then-futuristic 2006 supercomputers and not the real world, but if we're using the real world as a baseline, that's not an impressive number. Using some lazy googling, it's suggested that the most capable supercomputer in the world can do about a thousand-trillion calculations per second. Meanwhile the best guess at the human brain's processing ability is somewhere in the neighborhood of a billion-billion calculations per second. So having 200 supercomputers worth of compuational power would still make Computron less capable than a regular human brain. Again, I'll grant that we're also talking about soem pretty vague and unequal concepts in comparing a computer to a biological brain and the comparisons aren't 1:1 valid, but it would stand to reason that a Cybertronian brain has to at least be relatively equiavlent to a humanoid organic one in terms of ability and intelligence based on what we see across the franchise. So I guess what I'm getting at is that writers shouldn't make a point of using impressive-sounding numbers unless they actually understand whether or not the number they made up is really impressive to begin with.

-You want a more TF-relevant diversionary tangent (as I once again sit 5 minutes into an episode vs 45 minutes of writing and researching time for this review)? Ok, how's this: Computron's name invovles a bit of recursive cross-pacific quirkiness. Specifically the issue that the -tron suffix of his name would be an issue in Japan where it is associated with Decepticon groups (on account of the Japanese faction name being "Destron"). So over there the Stunticons are called the Stuntrons and the Combaticons are the Combatrons. to solve this quirk of nomenclature, Japan renamed Computron to "Computicon" to avoid the suffix issue. Except now this creates the same issue going back to English, where "-icon" suffixes are a uniquely Decepticon trait. So in each region Computron/Computicon is given a name that is fundamentally incompatible with his faction's naming conventions on the other side of the Pacific. Trippy, no? and yes, I did basically steal this trivia wholesale from TFWiki.

-Nerdy thing I do like about computron: the fact that he correctly recognizes that the singular of "data" is "datum". Each piece of information he considers is "datum" and only collectively are they "data"

-:lol  check out the bad establishing shot of the restaurant/club Marissa and Dirk go to, where Marissa is given very blonde hair until a camera cut puts us close enough to their table to recognize them.

-Yeah.... that's not dancing. That's just spinning in a circle.

-I actually want to admit that I like the silly distracting side-plot of Dirk and Marissa's night out. It's fun to actually humanize the human characters by giving them lives and interactions away from the Cybertronian conflict, not entirely unlike the smaller interactions between Carly and Spike (even though those rarely happened without some sort of Decepticon plot in the background). I'm also a sucker in general for Marissa's character just becuase she's not a Witwicky and it's nice to have someone that's essentially military for hte Transformers to interact with. I'm even enough of a softy to admit that I don't mind the mild romance elements in my fighting robot cartoon. That doesn't mean I'm willing to turn around and watch a Cybertronian soap opera, but in small doses it's a nice change of pace.

-Why does Dirk respond to the Quintesson query about the Technobots after he terminates the communication?

-Once again, Lightspeed shows himself to be the responsible Technobot by asking whether it's wise to head off with no word from Mraissa. Scattershot's response: "Who cares, it's not our problem." Leadership, everyone!

-A scene transition back to earth shows Marissa freeing herself from being tied up under the cactus. When did she get tied up in the first place? Dirk knocked her over to that cactus with some sort of blow from off-screen and seemingly left at that point. He didn't have time nor was he close enough to bind her wrists.

-The one odd thing I'm just noticing now is that the uniform Marissa spends all episode in (aside from her brief bit with a dress at dinner) looks far too formal for regular duty. It kind of becomes the equivalent of how way too much TV and other fiction like to portray Canadian Mounties as always wearing that stereotypical red jacketed uniform with the high leather boots and the brimmed hat (for the record, that's strictly a dress uniform. Normal on-duty RCMP look pretty much like what you'd expect cops to look like. Navy blue pants and button-up collared shirt, police cap, sensible work boots, etc)

-There's a lot of grime on the film as Strafe and Lightspeed talk and fly through space.

-Oh jesus, Cutthroat's squawky bird voice is grating.

-Mild personal note: I always liked Blot because I had his toy as a kid. I only ever had 3 scramble city combiner bots, none of which belonged to the same team (Blot, Swindle, and Hot Spot). I also really love Blot's Power of the Primes update. In fact, all the PotP Terrorcons are pretty cool, as is the combined Abominus mode (far better than the, if you'll excuse the wordplay abomination that is that line's Dinobot combiner given that they're born from the same basica design principles.

-The Quintesson triple cross is great, right down to the Quint casually flicking Manus' device off the nullifier.

-Seriously, Lightspeed is basically the Technobot leader by default. He does far more to actually lead than Scattershot does.

-Oh man. All the tension of the 3 Technobots and Manus escaping the Sharkticons is undercut by the very stiff animation of the Sharkticons, which appears to be missing some obvious in-between frames.

-Nosecone's voice is actually starting to get on my nerves. There aren't many characters in the series where I can say their voice ruins it for me, but something about Nosecone's just doesn't work. It sounds like Tracks trying to do a badly deepened vocal disguise. The odd thing is that it's not even consistently like that.

-Not only does Marissa get to save the day, but she gets to sluck Manus too. This is about the most proactive and intentionally useful a human has been on this show in quite a while.

-Suddenly Marissa seems to be drawn slightly differently. Like the act of taking her out of her uniform or party dress and having her be in the action-sequenc spacesuit means they have to draw her a bit tougher-looking.

-The vine grabs Marissa's wrist and restrains her with no explanation. Was it actually a snake? Does this moon have sentient plant life? Was it a Quintesson trap?

-The confused look that Strafe and Scattershot exchange as Marissa and Dirk make out on the jungle floor is spectacular. I'd put up a picture of it, but since their faces can't emote entirely thanks to the visors, it would need the head turn as well to be effective visually. :lol 

-Title drop!

-The animators making Hun-Grr and Sinnertwin bipedal is strange. They obviously have forelegs, not arms. Why aren't they walking on all their legs?

-What a stupid Quintesson. He has a weapon that could still defeat Computron and anyone else, but instead of using it he just chucks it at Marissa.

-Abominus has a gun in his belly. That's cool in terms of how different is is. And I'm relieved it's there and not a few inches lower. :lol 

-Computron shooting Abominus is surprisingly well animated and detailed, with lots of attention on his blinky, glowy lights and the lighting effects of the laser blast. This episode hasn't had consistently great animation and art design, but it's had its moments. And at least it hasn't had terrible parts to balance out.

-Marissa's smile after the Quintessons flee is kind of creepy. It's not a joyful grin or even a sly smirk. It's just like the sort of forced smile you give to cover up the fact that you're dead inside.

-"I've got a feeling he'll be back." Spoilers: he wasn't.

-I get the double-cross end being Marissa's way of paying back Dirk for his earlier actions, but why does she still act angry and put out when it's just Lightspeed there? Surely by that point she could let him in on the joke and drop character.

-Fun fact: Did you know that there's a Japanese splinter story continuity in which Marissa and Dirk have a kid? Sue Faireborn (I guess named after his ship, because that's not weird) was present in a companion set of manga stories published for the Japanese version of the Combiner Wars toyline where she engaged in such hilarity as giving Dirk a box of chocolate money for Father's Day only to disappoint him when he found out it wasn't actual cash and running away with home to live with Kup somewhere else until she had to single-handedly save him from being too scared to fight by becoming a Targetmaster gun for him to wield or something. I don't know. I feel like sometimes the TFWiki recaps of these little Japanese insert stories don't make a ton of sense. Or maybe the stories themselves just don't make a ton of sense.

-I just realized how small the cast of this episode was. The entire cast was Marissa, Dirk, the 2-4 Quintessons who are all more or less interchangeable, their Sharkticons, the 5 Technobots, and the 5 Terrorcons. There's no appearance from any other Autobots or Decepticons at all. I know there have been episodes in the past that don't feature Optimus Prime or Megatron/Galvatron, or even that don't feature one faction much if at all. But how rare is it, even for a spotlight episode on a couple of combiner teams (I'm not bitter. I'm not.), to have no Autobots/Decepticons except those combiner teams. The level of character we actually get out of them as well makes me wish that this was the more frequent way to handle character spotlights as well, instead of cramming them into larger casts and trying to give them just a memorable line or two.

FAVORITE LINES
    "slimy, worm-fingered creep."
    "Unlikeable dry-skinned biped."

-Dirk Manus and a Quintesson demonstrate their love for one another.

Bonus line
    "Estimated probability of Terrorcon victory over Computron: 4.1%...."
    -Only Computron could make statistics into a badass threat.

Final Grade: A

• Like Like x 1
  15. Liege Nemesis

I'll make the proper first-post edit and headered post here in a bit, but I've decided that we're going to do 3 episodes this week (Call of the Primitives, The Face of the Nijika, and The Burden Hardest to Bear) and save the two-part Return of Optimus Prime (dude, spoilers! :lol ) and 3-part Rebirth for next week as a grand finale. That way if I decide to do all parts of the multi-parters together it'll be 2 big reviews for the whole week instead of just one. From there I'll probably then take a week or two for G1 wrap-up and final discussion and we can potentially start Headmasters either just before or just after Christmas. Wow, it's almost Christmas. It's just hitting me now. I really have to finish shopping.

16. Distant1

Interesting, I am fascinated by the era when Megatron was created. From the flashback in Five Faces of Darkness part 4, I would be interested to see how many transforming Decepticons were created/rebuilt before Megatron was created. On Soundwave and Shockwave, I wonder if they were created to maybe keep Megatron in check (or least on track).

After Rebirth, I would like to think that maybe some Decepticons could not follow Galvatron anymore and sought to return to Cybertron (despite the threat of imprisonment or worse) and one of those was Soundwave. As such Soundwave goes on trial for war crimes, and we get to hear his life story.

17. TheUltimateBum

TheUltimateBum COWABUNGA DUDE!!!!

This episode is actually the only time Stephen Keener plays Hun-Grrrr. In all the others, he's played by the recently late Marshall Efron (hence why Hun-Grrrr sounds deeper in this episode).

Bert Kramer... it's sad that his only roles here were Computron and the EDC officer contacting Marissa at the beginning. Bert's Computron is really awesome and shows that even nerds can be total badasses. :D 

Anyway, I think Bert was pretty much a familiar face on TV at the time, appearing as a guest actor in many TV shows (the one I remember most being his guest spot as a villain in an episode of the Hardy Boys).

And Jim Gosa... he wasn't as familiar as Bert, but he did get some guest appearances (the one I remember most being a minor role in a MacGyver episode). He was a disc jockey and unfortunately, he passed away in 1989.

18. RKStrikerJK5

News Credits:
    I almost never have that reaction unless said human is Kicker, Raf, or Miko.

I'm down with that. Lightspeed was the only G1 Technobot toy I owned back in the day. I still have him, actually.

You? Bitter? You're probably as bitter as I am, which is to say not at all! And if you believe that I've got a bridge in Iacon to sell you. :D 

You know, Dirk and the Lazy Sue bring up something very interesting. In 2006, Sunbow-humanity has interstellar travel common enough to have a Han Solo-esque guy plying the spacelanes. Thanks for sharing your toys, G1 Autobots! :D 

:D 

I had him, too. Freaky as all hell, but cool. :D 

I love Marissa. Even though it was only a TFSS exclusive, I'm glad she got a GI Joe-scale toy. It's so cool. :D 

It could be both!

I've never taken that scene literally. It was seen during a vision with some already-trippy visuals.

19. Liege Nemesis

True. I tend to usually be more tolerant of/forgiving of the human characters, but it certainly seems like there is a healthy segment of the fanbase that would think that the best TF series would be one on Cybertron with no humans because there'd be no humans.

Also it's only now that I see the stuff that you quoted that I realize the dangers of me doing my writeups at 1-2am. So many spelling errors...

20. Distant1

Such a shame about the visuals, would love to hear Flint Dille's commentary on FFOD not only regarding that flashback, with robots who look alot like Constructicons, and we could get some clarity of on some Decepticons in the background, especially are the Insecticons, are they all clones or did the real Sharpnell survive given that he got a line (or at least was named in the script) towards the end of the 1986 movie.

My own headcanon, around the time of Megatron is the Decepticons are only just learning how to create transformers, to not arouse too much suspicion they could have built Soundwave and robots whose main alt-mode function is not for warfare. Once they are confident creating new transformers they build Megatron to retake control of Cybertron.