Community TF Cartoon Rewatch Thread - Phase 3: Super-God Masterforce

Discussion in 'Transformers Earthspark and Cartoon Discussion' started by Liege Nemesis, Mar 20, 2020.

1. ChickenQuicken

ChickenQuicken Well-Known Member

Also, one last note: instead of showing up late to the final fight, Cancer discovers Giga and Mega's corpses, and cries for them.

2. Liege Nemesis

Liege Nemesis Snarks about old cartoons

That part felt a little unclear. I wasn't sure if he found their corpses or if it was just an overlay showing them dead as Overlord explained what had happened and Cancer was crying about the revelation of that news.

But I guess you can't expect everything to make perfect sense in the limited space they had to tell the story.

3. ChickenQuicken

ChickenQuicken Well-Known Member

Fair enough.

4. Kike Prime

Kike Prime God Prime

Does somebody have a subtitle for the 17. episode (Ranger 1st apperance)?
    I've downloaded the entire series via torrent with Metrodome subs but somewhy this is the same as the 16.'s.
    I've got plain text from wikia2.org but I cannot timing. I have program but I'm not good with sensing time normal cases neither.
    Shout sub is good too. If you have for the 3 JP G1 series the Shout subs I would appreciate you, If you send them.
    It's all for fansubbing to Hungarian.
    Thank you!

5. Leolim

Leolim Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    Cybertron was already fix up during Masterforce.

Last edited: May 20, 2021
  6. Crossbonesss

Crossbonesss targetmaster enjoyer

News Credits:
    where exactly was the matrix in super god masterforce

7. Leolim

Leolim Well-Known Member

Rodimus Prime

8. Crossbonesss

Crossbonesss targetmaster enjoyer

News Credits:
    so he just had it the entire time? lol

9. crdavismusic

crdavismusic Vectron Labs-Only Collector

News Credits:
    I also love how this post was 364 days since the last post in 2021

10. Liege Nemesis

Liege Nemesis Snarks about old cartoons

Wow, this thread lives! :lol 

As for the Matrix: We don't know where it is during SGMF because it wasn't important. Maybe it's because Japan didn't get The Movie until years later and plugged on without really knowing its context/importance in any significant way, but I always got the impression that the Japanese stories never felt it was that big of a deal. Rodimus left with it in Headmasters with nary a word about Fortress not inheriting it even though he was named commander of the Autobots. It never shows up in Masterforce or Victory (and I don't believe it shows up in Zone when Star Saber hands the leadership position over to Dai Atlas) and by the time we get to the Beast Era JP shows or Armada it's generally treated as more of a magic energon mcguffin than anything that symbolically relates to Autobot leadership. Even in Armada where they try to give the matrix to Hot Rod/Shot when Optimus dies, it's treated like it's important and noteworthy that he turns it down, but it doesn't invalidate his leadership or anything like that. It's like

We can assume it's still with Rodimus in the absence of any evidence to the contrary, but that's just an assumption and not a provable fact.

• Like Like x 2
  11. Kike Prime

Kike Prime God Prime

It is a consistent mistranslation in the Metrodome/Madman/Shout! Factory subs of Headmasters that Fortress is addressed as Commander instead of Supreme Commander even when sōshireikan can be clearly heard not just shireikan. Fortress became the Supreme Commander of the Autobots. There was a similar scene between Fortress and Ginrai as in the Headmasters episode 10 in the SGMF manga.
    In the Hungarian translation of the Marvel Comics and because of this in Bayformers and the 2nd dub of Cybertron, the Prime was translated as Supreme Commander so for me Fortress is a Prime as well, alongside with Ginrai, Star Saber and Dai Atlas. Sorry, somewhy I always bring up this coincidental translation, this is a mania of mine. Sorry again.

Yes, the Matrix doesn't show up in Zone nor Victory.
    I hope the first part wasn't that off topic.

12. Swerve

Swerve Well-Known Member

This discussion on the difference between the titles highlights one thing that really is a very notable stylistic shift between the Western and Japanese cartoons, and one that almost certainly is entirely down to real-world cultural differences- how formal and official the Autobot military is, in particular, in the Japanese 'verse, compared to the very loose knit camaraderie of the Western written episodes. I don't know whether the Japanese dubs of the Sunbow series adjusted this to the same extent or not, but, for instance, differences between 'Commander' and 'Supreme Commander' being highlighted- the sort of thing that just doesn't come up in the Sunbow series, where there's only really a hazy conviction which gets sort of canonised retroactively by the movie giving it to Rodimus, that "Prime" is even an honorific, or formal usage, as opposed to just another part of Optimus Prime's name, a short form.

Even in the Decepticons the same holds true, where you'd expect their militaristic nature to make them more formal- Japan gives us "Emperors of Destruction" and so forth, but in the west, even fairly lowly Decepticons quite frequently just address their leader as "Hey, Megatron", and old bucket head doesn't appear to take it amiss or see it as anything disrespectful. "Leader" is the most frequent title, and it's more often applied to him by Starscream than anyone else, so that he can be sarcastic about it.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Blitzwing2008

Blitzwing2008 Triple changing menace

News Credits:
    Recently rewatched the series and yes it has a ton a flaws but I really do love a lot of the designs also I may be in the minority but I really enjoy both theme songs not the most transformerish but it helps put me in a relaxed motivated mind set.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Leolim

Leolim Well-Known Member

Atleast humans are useful in this series.

15. Kike Prime

Kike Prime God Prime

For me, one of the most weird thing was that Jan a lot of times called Star Saber sōshireikan/Supreme Commander instead of his name despite the fact Star Saber is his adoptive father. This is about the cultural differences.
    Actually, in most of the Western cartoons both side is very informal comparing to for example Energon. (The 1st Hungarian dub felt like Japanese style. Formality, Ironhide says Commander or "Yes, sir!", there was damn/darn from all sides' mouths. Minor things I recognised from the Takara Trilogy.)

• Like Like x 1