Heavy/Scratch: Comic Expo approaching – 8” energon cube or energon axe for G1 9.1 scale Optimus Prime costume?

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by Marthony, Jan 25, 2017.

1. Marthony

Marthony Well-Known Member

Hello polite Transformers fanatics!

The Calgary Alberta Canada Comic Expo is approaching (late April, but that’s not much time when dealing with life and new prop designs), and if I don’t upgrade a repeat costume I’ll feel like a lazy bastard. I’m here seeking your opinion on which upgrade to invest time & effort in. I've attached how the costume looks presently. I wore this costume as shown here 3 years ago and competed as a walk-on. I don't intend to compete in it this year. Main Pose.JPG

(While I did make an effective 10” energon cube drink holder for Halloween, it is not only too heavy to comfortably carry around all day at about 7lbs, but in full daylight the LED’s will not show well – it will look white as the prism plastic will catch the light. http://vid1276.photobucket.com/albums/y470/Martaxus/Mobile Uploads/C387C6AE-3AC8-4414-8428-DE073A05830E_zpsujwztg5k.mp4)

I won’t be carrying the toy rifle this year. It needs to be resurfaced to look good, and it is mis-balanced and hard on my thumbs requiring me to shift between hands every 10 minutes.

FYI, I do plan on buying silver pants & top to wear under the suit vs. what I’m wearing in the picture. I don’t plan on replacing the head at this time.

My leading ideas for new props are:

- 8” glowing energon cube, G1 S2 version (attached) standard.jpg (vs. the G1 S1 version above). Built from 1/8” plexi or similar material, likely pre-colored. It would run a set of slowly-pulsing LED’s not yet sourced. Can anyone provide a hyperlink of gradually cycling white LED’s vs. the common strobe type?

There are challenges with lighting for daylight usage here; for the cube to look right, the walls need to have an inner surface that catches the light – without, you’d see the lights in the middle and the effect would be lost. I can’t repeat having the prism plastic on clear plexi walls, as the plastic is white. Thus the plexi must be colored or I’d have colored plastic sheets on the inside of each side, and then 2 layers of prism plastic on the colored sheets. This design means using slow-changing multi-color LED’s may not look right as they’d be changed by the red/purple color I’d set for the outside walls. At the same time, I don’t want a strobe effect within the unit either…

- Glowing energon axe, based on G1 S1 cartoon but will be edited as needed: IMG_4418.JPG

Built from plexi or similar plastic, in yellow or hopefully amber. The base of the prop would cover my hand, and conceal a grip. The shaft would be lit via a 24 LED puck just above my hand in the mounting cover. The edges of both front & back parts of the blade would be lit via multiple LED’s mounted within spaces between the blade parts & the shaft. The plastic would ‘catch’ the light by light sanding of the surface. The blade would be 3 sheets of the plastic, cut/carved & sanded to shape. I’d hope to source a hollow cylinder of plexi for the shaft; otherwise I’d have to adhere 3 layers of it to create a hollow space within to run the power wire to the upper set of LED’s.

I haven’t checked the convention rules regarding this type of prop yet.

What are your thoughts please?

Note: I’ve yet to test how well plexi carries light with sanded surfaces. It is possible I could sand both sides of an energon cube’s walls to do away with the prism plastic.

Thanks!

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  2. Stormvapor

Stormvapor Well-Known Member

Very cool!

3. JLvatron

JLvatron Transformer

News Credits:
    How would you carry the cubes around? If it's awkward to just hold them all the time, that would point towards doing the Energon Axe.

Cool ideas, and awesome Costume!! :) 

4. Marthony

Thanks!

I would likely attach some form of handle to the new version as I did with the old. I wouldn't want it on a chain/tether/rope and let it move loosely as the hard surface & corners would damage my costume.

I expect the new cube would be <4lbs and lighter than the axe. Both would be gripped in the same sense as far as my hand is concerned - when held to the side they'd be like carrying a suitcase. IMG_4124.JPG

5. Marthony

To be clear, at the moment I only intend to build/carry a single 8" energon cube.

6. Dachande

Dachande MULTI-QUOTE- USE IT. Super Mod TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    That costume is amazing! I absolutely love the arms and seam on the cab to look like the toy.
    Brilliant work!

Oh, and I vote for the axe. It makes more practical sense.

7. Marthony

Thanks Yaujta!

Thanks for your vote. Only downside of the axe is it is limited to use with Optimus; I couldn't use it with Megatron or Devastator.

8. Dachande

Dachande MULTI-QUOTE- USE IT. Super Mod TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    You could always make a base piece that has the ability to flip out LEDs from orange to purple, and use the base to attach a morning star to. Swappable weapons using the same mount.

9. King Glurch

King Glurch I’m gonna miss you when I’m gone

YouTube (Legacy):
    Go with the Ax! Definitely the ax.

10. Marthony

Indeed, a base that could be repurposed for Megatron's mace could be handy. =)

Thanks guys, I think I will work towards the axe. I don't need more cubes in the house. =)