Combiner Wars Ultra Magnus verses Titans Return PM Optimus Prime

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Rodimus Mike, Jul 7, 2016.

1. tikgnat

tikgnat Baweepgranaweepninnybong.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    CW UM>TR PMOP for me I'm afraid. PMOP feels like there's just one too many compromises on him to oust Magnus. Guess he could deal with it eh?

When I saw LG Ginrai in hand the other week, I was not blown away. In fact I hated the feet, the arm flaps and his chest seemed overly fiddly. His plastic feel also didn't help... even though it's probably the same as PMOP. He's probably worst of the three I've handled.

Having said that I think I agree that Takara Magnus with Minimus is probably best.

2. shadowfall1976

shadowfall1976 The Alpha and the Optimus

I never saw the Japanese cartoons, but i did have (still do) PMOP as a kid, it was the last G1 figure my Mom got me. And i did see him in the "Season 5" Bumpers back in the day. so, whike not as big as the one I have for the original G1 Prime, I do have a nostalgia for PMOP, if for nothing else, its because its the last one I was bought as a kid.

3. shadowfall1976

The only thing I do not like about PMOP or even by default Ginrai is how the panels fold around his legs, hindering any kind of hope for a good looking straight forward pose. Sometimes I long for partsforming days.

4. shadowfall1976

The main thing Ginrai improves is deco and vibrance. The G1 esque cab is a nice touch though. Hasbro has a rumoured "God Bomber" coming, not sure how it will attach if it does.

5. Starfire22

Starfire22 :D

News Credits:
    #DoorGate

(I know i already posted here, but i thought this was funny)

6. GohanX

GohanX Well-Known Member

I love both, but if I had to choose I'd go with Magnus over Ginrai. The mold makes a decent Ginrai but an absolutely awesome Magnus.

7. TFXProtector

TFXProtector Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Interesting, this is not the first time I've heard less than stellar reviews for Ginrai. Ragin Nation of the A3U video reviews stated he preferred the Hasbro version due to the extensive paint apps, whereas Takara's is just molded plastic with a few paint apps here and there.

One thing I've noticed people saying is they're disappointed in how hollow and light Ginrai is. He weighs no more than PMOP, possibly less, and he has more movable parts, especially in the feet. I was surprised to see more than one person bring that up.

The arm plates are ridiculous, they just float there. If that hinge ever wears down, it'll just be a floppy mess and look horrible.

I wanted it because of Godbomber, but even he's not enough to sell me on this version of the mold. PMOP might not be the best figure out there and his A stance is made worse because of how his feet are shaped, but he's pretty solid and it doesn't feel like there were any compromises made to make him happen.

Plus, he was only $45.00 compared to the $90.xx that Ginrai's commanding. I'd be pretty upset if I had paid that much for what's basically PMOP.

8. WishfulThinking

WishfulThinking "Don't touch it! It's Zvil!"

News Credits:
    Don't get me wrong. Super Ginrai is an excellent figure. But, to me, his strengths are weighted against his weaknesses and, in the end, really doesn't present a figure of staggering better proportions than PMOP. All the foibles of PMOP are pretty much in Ginrai...unless you plan to buy Godbomber (I am), there's not much of an advantage to owning Ginrai.