Combiner Wars Ultra Magnus verses Titans Return PM Optimus Prime

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Rodimus Mike, Jul 7, 2016.

1. TFXProtector

TFXProtector TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I sadly have no use for the base modes. I think it's great that they included them, but they're useless to me. I put the cab back on and secured it again. The back plate's snug enough to stay on in all modes, even if it isn't flush.

2. megatroptimus

megatroptimus Untitled

News Credits:
    This base mode saves the day for Prime.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

With a new chestplate that could turn into a proper ramp, it would be perfect.

• Like Like x 3
  3. mrprime222000

mrprime222000 Well-Known Member

Ultra Magnus for me, but that's because I'm too young to have an attachment to the Powermaster Optimus Prime. That since I've never seen the Headmasters cartoon (Which I believe is where he appeared but i may be wrong so feel free to correct me) I have no attachment to that design of Prime so for me It has more to do with my love of Ultra Magnus and my lack of emotion for Powermaster Optimus Prime.

4. TFXProtector

TFXProtector TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    We didn't see him in cartoon form here in the States and we still loved him. A new Optimus, the first in years, plus he's bigger and badasseder? Yes please!

This one takes what worked on the original and betters it. This one just blows it away. It's a lot of fun.

5. mrprime222000

I gotta say the reviews have surprised me. I'm looking forward to Blaster, but I was gonna pass on PMOP. I don't have the original toy and he doesn't look G1 enough for me. But hell, knowing me and having seen such positive reviews I'll buy him anyway if he shows up in a store near me. :) 

6. 86mcss

86mcss Well-Known Member

I prefer UM. So much so I don't even want PM OPTIMUS. I put him up for sale.

7. Collectibot

Collectibot SWITCHed.

News Credits:
    CW Ultra Magnus works MUCH better, except for the non-transforming cab, but Prime doesn't have that either.

8. KFGatri

KFGatri Madman with a Blue Box

Ebay:
    PMOP never appeared in animated form at all apart from commercials, but the Japanese character who used the mold, Super Ginrai, was a major player in Super God Masterforce.

But for anyone who read the Marvel comics as a kid, this IS Optimus Prime. He wore this body far longer than any of the others.

9. Rodimus Mike

Rodimus Mike MP & TF Collector

Ebay:

I gotta say megatroptimus,your fan mode base of PM Optimus Prime is 10x better than Hasbro's official one,I will have to put mine that way.Like you said about the ramp is right on the money,maybe some 3rd Party will see this and make a proper one to do that.You have my vote for Fan Mode Of The Day.Thanks for posting pics.

10. Mirimus

Mirimus Member Known Well

Damn...never thought of it that way. But then, prior to the G2 comic, I think the last original TF Marvel comic I'd read was when Grimlock was made leader...

Back on topic, I prefer UM for this mold...mostly because I have no affinity for PM Prime, but also because I finally have a go-to Prime in the form of MP-10, so I don't need any others.

11. WishfulThinking

WishfulThinking The world has moved on...we've always said.

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Powermaster Prime.

Apex > Minimus.
    Prime has a base mode.
    Prime's able to hold weapons.

For those who were bothered by the cab ladders on Prime...did you cut out the ladders on the sides of the trailer as well? And the tiny doors that lead to what looks like break rooms on both sides?

12. DanC

DanC Delightful person

News Credits:
    This feels like a "how much of an MTMTE fan are you?" litmus test. For me, Minimus Ambus was half the draw for CW Ultra Magnus. A year later, it's still the most nuts/awesome thing about the toy in my book.

13. seali_me

seali_me RIP January 2018

• Like Like x 1
  14. mrprime222000

Yeah. If you aren't an MTMTE fan he's probably kind of lame. For me being a MTMTE fan I agree with you he's absolutely awesome.

15. Soundwinder

Soundwinder I wind sounds!

I'm not an MTMTE fan and I just see him for what he is: a fun little extra that can either add to the figure or be completely ignored.

Prime, objectively, seems like the better figure. Apex integrates with the figure better, and he can HOLD HIS GODDAMN GUNS.

But I am sooooooooooo bored of Optimuses (Optimi?). And the lack of a cab robot defeats the purpose of a PM Prime homage to me. I had PM Prime as a kid and the entire point was that cab.

On the other hand, Magnus is a good version of Magnus. Which is something we desperately needed.

So in a perfect vacuum, I'd say PM Prime is objectively the better toy. However, given the context (we have a million Primes and not as many Magnuses [Magni?], and a PM Prime without a cab robot defeats the purpose for me), I prefer Magnus.

16. KFGatri

KFGatri Madman with a Blue Box

Ebay:
    You threw out the better version! (IMO) ;)  I really like how the armor integrates onto Albino Prime, and Fansproject's take on the Ultra Magnus design, so I still like City Commander even with the flaws. Which are really just a sign of the design's age, rather than deficiency of the design. The fact that FP made the armor solidly attach to a figure that was never meant to have armor is still impressive in my mind.

Not to mention how solid and substantial the combo is!

I own both, and have them displayed side by side. While I do like CW Magnus, Classics Magnus w/the armor is still my go-to version. Unless some 3rd party makes some Geewun-style addons for CW Magnus ... If his IDW-ness were reduced/eliminated he might stand a shot at the top spot. :D 

I find myself liking CW Magnus a lot more than I thought I would, despite the IDW influence. But nothing will make me stop wishing we'd gotten the G1 City Commander/Marvel UK badass rather than IDW's Duly Appointed Enforcer.

So overall, I'm guessing I'll prefer PMOP, since it's an update of my favorite G1 figure (to actually answer the question!)

• Like Like x 1
  17. artiepants

artiepants Transformers '84!!!

News Credits:
    whereas i think the inclusion of that seriously compromised his design (necessitating the ugly gaps on each side of his head and the "cockpit space" aside his body.) plus, just the concept of Magnus being a 'mech suit" irritates me to the point that it played a significant role in deciding to get TTs version with mini Alpha Trion instead just to avoid supporting that decision.

• Like Like x 3
  18. Cal

Cal Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Many fans have received their Legends Super Ginrai by now, so I'm wondering if opinions have changed since this thread was made and consider Ginrai to be the superior figure, especially with the addition of Godbomber on the horizon. Thoughts, anyone?

19. flux convoy

flux convoy RIP Botcon.

Ebay:
    Ginrai is not the superior figure. As a matter of fact, Id go so far as to say it's the worst version of the mold. Hasbro made a more solid PMOP. Ginrai only looks nicer. Then you get to his train wreck feet. Mine are garbage. Out of all four, Takara's Magnus with Hasbro's Minimus Ambus is my favorite. Easily.

20. WishfulThinking

WishfulThinking The world has moved on...we've always said.

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Super Ginrai really doesn't change the figure that drastically, though.