Heavy/Scratch: Combiner Wars Optimus Prime Modifiers

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by ultraman zoffy, Feb 8, 2020.

1. ultraman zoffy

ultraman zoffy Don't Whine, Design!

I'm revamping my display room and essentially getting out of CHUG collecting. While going through everything and deciding what to keep out and what's going into storage/getting sold off, I started getting distracted by the things that always bugged me about certain toys. CW Optimus was one of the first bots that got me back into collecting TFs, so I decided that he'll stay on the shelves somewhere in the room. But not without addressing my issues with him first.
    • Dude essentially has no hip/pelvis/waist section
    • Hip ratchet spacing, and I stopped spending money on Nonnef stuff years ago when I started making my own stuff
    • His feet were always kind of dumb with the cut angle that was supposed to make A-stances doable
    • Never liked his head design, and it is tiny to make alt mode work
    So, made my own fine tooth hip ratchets, gave him swappable G1 style heads, designed an actual pelvic/hip section for him, and gave him ankle pivot feet. His truck mode is improved somewhat with the longer rear section. Done and done, and I like him way more now and haven't stopped playing around with him for a week. Bummer he couldn't have been designed like this from the factory.
    IMG_20200208_085242_541.jpg 20200208_081309.jpg 20200208_081351.jpg 20200204_062645.jpg 20200202_184254.jpg 20200211_071314.jpg 20200211_071331.jpg 20200211_071353.jpg

Last edited: Feb 11, 2020
    • Like Like x 24
  2. Pessimus Terminal

Pessimus Terminal Herald of Kremzeek

This is awesome. Keeps the aesthetic better than the SND Primo Vitalis kit (which is pretty great in it's own way). Aside from the wonky proportions, CW Prime is a cool take on Prime. This highlights it instead of modifying it.
    CW Prime was also my first step into collecting again. One random trip through Toys R Us. I didn't even know the CW line existed. I thought it was all RiD and Rescue Bots after Prime.
    I was toying with the idea of turning mine into my first minor custom. This may have inspired me to leave him as is for the sake of nostalgia. Your customs are always great.

• Like Like x 3
  3. ultraman zoffy

Thanks for the feedback! Same story for myself more or less, after years of not buying anything TF related, a few random RTS Chugs and seeing a combiner capable Optimus was the start of TFs becoming my main collecting line. I love the SND kits as well and have 2 CW Optimus figures equipped with them. This was a fun project, making improvement pieces that were minimal but still kept the figure at home with the rest of the CW line. Have fun on your custom as well, and post pics when it gets going! =)

• Like Like x 1
  4. SamMeasa

SamMeasa Well-Known Member

Looks interesting but is not for me.

5. ultraman zoffy

Then why bother with this comment? Lol

• Like Like x 2
  6. Saito Satoru

Saito Satoru smile

News Credits:
    Can he still combine after this, or is it heavily compromised for the improved silhouette?

7. ultraman zoffy

Nothing is compromised at all except trick mode being longer. None of these add ons are covering the combiner ports at all.

• Like Like x 2
  8. primalxconvoy

primalxconvoy Banned

News Credits:
    Then why bother criticising their comment?

Lol.

9. SamMeasa

Sorry, as my GF would say I Trump Tweeted before and posted stupid.

While the head and waist upgrades are interesting giving him more of a G1 look. I'm actually interested in the upgraded feet adding some stability to the figure.
    Like Pessimus, CW Prime was my first the one that got me into collecting. I have three currently and two of them would benefit from the foot upgrade. Their all headily modified each using a different kit and sporting toyhax stickers.

• Like Like x 1
  10. ultraman zoffy

Thanks for coming back and offering some additional context to your post, I appreciate it a lot. =) I didn't really make any of these pieces with the intention of selling them, but I'd consider putting them on my Shapeways store if there's some interest.

• Like Like x 3
  11. ultraman zoffy

Going into a custom thread and saying you don't like something with nothing constructive added to it is the same as walking by a crowded restaurant that serves food you're not into, sticking your head into the door and yelling "I don't like this stuff", and leaving. Zero point to it, and I don't like seeing it in my threads (or anyone else's Radicons thread either). Hope that's a good enough explanation.

• Like Like x 1
  12. POSSESSED_DIGIT

POSSESSED_DIGIT WE ARE NUBBY THUMB!!

News Credits:
    Looks good!
    But now there’s a gap in the truck mode at the thigh section. maybe you can design something to hide it. That’s right where the fuel tanks usually are on all Prime toys and would really pull it together. Either find a way to incorporate it into the transformation, or have them pop off and turn into weapons.

13. ultraman zoffy

I mentioned that in the original post, need to make some gap filler panels still. I'll get some pics up once they're printed.

• Like Like x 2
  14. POSSESSED_DIGIT

POSSESSED_DIGIT WE ARE NUBBY THUMB!!

News Credits:
    Huh. Missed that. Good thing you already had that in mind. I actually like the longer truck hitch and wheel section. His giant cab section made it look stubby. Your mods helped fix that.

• Like Like x 1
  15. SamMeasa

This actually got me thinking and I transformed my CW Prime, He's fitted with the Beelzeboss kit and Leg extensions for CW Voyager Prime by Darkcave Customs for Shapeways (link below). I didn't like the leg extensions that came with Beelzeboss's kit (the little red flaps kept falling off) and those side tanks did make it look so much better. They sit at an angle when transformed as you can see.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Currently I'm holding off on painting Primes crotch and legs a chrome or gun metal to make it all match. There are still a few parts I'm ordering for Thunder Clash and I want to also get a table top paint booth for D&D hobbyist. So I can use my airbrush in doors.

Combiner Wars Voyager Optimus Prime Extensions And by DarkcaveCustoms on Shapeways

• Like Like x 4
  16. primalxconvoy

primalxconvoy Banned

News Credits:
    Not really. This is a discussion thread, so it's a public forum. Moreso, it's like a public art exhibition, with people able to tell the artist what they think, regardless of whether or not the artist, or others, agrees with them.

Personally, I like what you've done, and don't agree with the other person's views, but it's their right, and perfectly relevant, to state them here.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Skyfire98

Skyfire98 You can’t beat the original!

This is pretty cool

18. Skyfire98

Skyfire98 You can’t beat the original!

Who is that? On the right

19. DrakenDaWolfy

DrakenDaWolfy Well-Known Member

looks like a Thunderclash

20. DrakenDaWolfy

DrakenDaWolfy Well-Known Member

how did you do the waist? did you have to cut/dremel (im not sure what the right term is im sorry!) the torso?