Combiner Wars Megatron Leader

Discussion in 'Transformers Feedback & Reviews' started by ChErikS, Feb 7, 2015.

1. tfpro

tfpro Well-Known Member

Got him this week. Was in a Walmart trying to hunt down the stunticons and stumbled upon Leader Megatron. He looked so good in box I passed on the stunticons and bought him.

I have no regrets buying this guy at retail price. If the 3rd party add on items somehow fit into tank mode I'll buy those too.

And to any folks debating Apollyon or this toy, I don't see a clear winner. Both are awesome for different reasons. Just remeber this, the leader figure is a joy to transform. You and I both know Apollyon stuffers a "transform only once just to say I did it" fate.

2. PlanckEpoch

PlanckEpoch Crossdresser Toy Collector

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    I'm still gonna get Apollyon, even though I have this Megatron.

I'm a total freaking gun nut, and Megatron turns into a gun. For someone like me that is an instant turn-on and an instant buy.

If I can't have a real P38, then I can settle for a Megatron P38 as long as it looks good and Apollyon fits that.

3. WinstoBot

WinstoBot Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    CW Megatron is such a good looking robot. You can't go wrong in either G1 or Armada, this IS a winner. Just look at that face: Evil, Intimidating, Commanding, Powerful. Your Decepticon troops need this Megs to lead them.

Attached Files:

4. WinstoBot

News Credits:
    Tag Team Awesomeness

Attached Files:

5. CountDrunkula

CountDrunkula Sturdy Beard

News Credits:
    Sorry for the quality, was hard to get everything in frame and deal with all the shiny:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. tfpro

tfpro Well-Known Member

Added movie lazer beak's weapons to Megatrons legs. Really helps fill him out down there. Also added a WIP sword and mace. Too bad he can't hold the legends version of himself, but that's a small problem that may be eliminated by the 3rd party upgrade kit.

And speaking of the upgrade kit, ya a few degrees more left/right tilt in the ankles would have been nice, but I've changed my mind about the necessity of the kit. It's not needed at all for a solid standing pose.

Seriously this is now my favorite transformer thats ever been in my collection. (Beating both MP10 and Masterpiece Soundwave.)

Leader Megatron is what a modern, retail Hasbro transformer should be: Good pricepoint. Quality construction. Plentiful paint. Easy to pose. Weaponizable. Stickers included. Little to no kibble. And a joy to transform.

[​IMG]

7. WinstoBot

News Credits:
    ^Ah yes, the first Legends Megatron, how I regret not picking it up.

8. MECHADOOM

MECHADOOM I'm Doombot and I know it

On this particular note, I'm not entirely sure there have been any pics yet with the Perfect Effect Kingbat Sword. So hey, here are some.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I just got this Megs, and I quite enjoy him. Much more than the Classics version(s). Sure he has a few flaws, but the pros FAR outweigh the cons.

Attached Files:

9. tfpro

tfpro Well-Known Member

^ The ratbat sword looks like it came in the package with him. Perfect effect. (Sorry for the 3rd party pun.)

10. DVD

DVD Well-Known Member

Got mine today and I'm very impressed. The issues that have already been discussed don't seem to bother me much. Now that he's in hand, I keep his cannon the normal way instead of rotating it around for the more G1 look. Also, I leave his back treads split and off to the sides as it bulks Megatron up a bit more. All in all, an awesome figure. Can't wait to pose him with some MPs. Devastator and the Leader Seekers can't get here soon enough!

11. Cheebs

Cheebs Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    So I just got this guy.

On the upside, he looks fantastic in both modes.

On the downside, the articulation seems pretty useless. One click out on the thighs seems to spread the legs out too far. One click outward on the arms and the connector rod looks way too odd.

That's ok. I'm fine with him standing straight at attention. Still looks good. It's just odd to have a modern figure with almost zero usable articulation.

12. Cheebs

Cheebs Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Messing with it further, the articulation is a little better than I thought. Still kinda wonky.

13. Faelon

Faelon Well-Known Member

I just wish he was a hair taller. His robot form is so close to being a nice non silly looking modernized take on Megs to stand with the MP line on display. All the silver with just the splashes of red and black. The lovely light piped eyes. He may not be perfect, but he is almost good enough to stand in until a true Masterpiece comes along. If only he was just a little bit taller.

His tank form is wonderful. I know it flies against the G1 purists, but I always thought Megatron as a tank made more sense in every possible way... Well except the whole flying thing. But really the flying handgun made even lass sense.

It's also easy to see why the classic silver Megatron is flying off the shelves and Armada Megs... Not as much. Using the same molds Armada somehow manages to achieve the visual impression of a Marti Gras parade suffering a scheduling conflict with a Pride parade circa 1980 San Francisco.

14. Cheebs

Cheebs Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    You only have to wait, like, a week until Appolyon is out.

15. vatarian

vatarian Archentrope, Black Needle, Suzerain of Metabolisms

And if you AREN'T in on the Appolyon circle-jerk, or lack the money to purchase him, BBTS is selling an upgrade kit for 39$ that includes feet that amplify the heigh, in addition to a new cannon-barrel, back-muzzle, and leg-armor.

16. jetrobo

jetrobo Well-Known Member

Wasn't sure if anyone had posted this, but here are the eyes painted.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

17. Dachande

Dachande MULTI-QUOTE- USE IT. Super Mod

News Credits:
    Heheh. Yeah, seriously. That thing just looks weird. Tiny-thin mid-section, bad proportions...

The upgrade kit isn't necessary whatsoever, but I can understand the want. As long as the pieces incorporate seamlessly into the tank, I guess they're not bad. I just haven't seen pics of it all gussied-up in alt mode, though.

EDIT: Okay, I saw pics of the alt mode with the add-ons. Looks HORRIBLE. They took a sleek, nearly perfect tank and made it into a junk-covered wagon.

Painting the upper red parts silver actually looks pretty good! I still like the red, but the silver blends the pieces together a bit more.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2015
  18. rosewater

rosewater Well-Known Member

Well that seals it! I'll be painting my Megatron's eyes a vivid red. Thanks for posting pics!

19. emoo

emoo Well-Known Member

Love this figure

Attached Files:

20. Cheebs

Cheebs Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Surely you can't be speaking of the perfect Apollyon I'm looking at...