Combiner Wars Megatron Leader

Discussion in 'Transformers Feedback & Reviews' started by ChErikS, Feb 7, 2015.

1. DrGrim

DrGrim OBEY

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    He's up on amazon.com at retail price and free prime shipping. Ordered mine.

2. gbm

gbm Well-Known Member

Just got mine this morning....he's outstanding!

Wow, this is a very proud time for Hasbro in my opinion.

3. FreshDebesh

FreshDebesh <b><font color=brickred>oye chak de phatte!</font> Veteran

I got it yesterday at Target, and very happy with it!

4. MegaMoonMan

MegaMoonMan OFFICIAL MMM REP

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    Pure love for this guy. Simple yet satisfying transformation, nice paint job, hefty, no gaping hollow parts, just great all around.

5. rosewater

rosewater Well-Known Member

And everything is so nice and clicky-clicky! The silver paint is stunning in person, and I think it has the best Megatron face sculpt ever. He looks incredible in my Classics display.

6. Grimlockimus

Grimlockimus Wot?

News Credits:
    No fooling, Hasbro is on a roll with the Combiner Wars line and Megatron may be they're crown jewel (until Magnus shows up). He's simple, well engineered and beautiful in both modes. Only thing I could even try to nitpick on is I wish the fusion cannon worked on with a regular 5mm post so we could display him without it if wanted.

7. Knightsword

Knightsword Fire in the North

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    YouTube:
    Great figure, only complaints I have are the shoulder and hip ratchets could have used some more notches.

8. peteynorth

peteynorth TFW2005 Supporter

I got this guy on Saturday, and I have to say I’m very impressed. Tank mode is awesome, it’s not technically a M1, but it’s close enough. It’s a tad smaller than 07 movie Brawl, which Dave Vandolein estimated to be 1:32 scale, so I’m guessing this guy to be roughly 1:36-ish, which still works perfectly to put alongside most deluxe cars or voyager trucks (LROP, CW Prime, AOE Prime, etc.). It really is nearly perfect in tank mode (OK, turret can’t raise, but still…).

Robot mode is great, not perfect, and there are definitely things I’d like to see improved upon, but still great. Frankly, it may very well be the best Megatron we’ve ever gotten. That said, the chest and shoulders should be broader, the arm connectors are a bit too low and way too visible (yes, I recognize the impressive engineering involved with turning a rotating turret into arms, but I think something more akin to Energon Blight/Kickback would have been every bit as effective while getting better shoulders), and the legs are a bit more limited in terms of articulation than they probably should be. Otherwise he’s awesome. Felt he needed a melee weapon, so I took the sword/rifle combining pieces from Energon Starscream and they plug quite well into the 5mm holes in his leg (inside rear tank treads) so that only a small portion of the sword tip can be seen from the back. And even better, they both can plug into the minicon pegs on his back in robot mode (armor over the treads). The sword by itself is a good size for him, and combined with the rifle for the huge sword, he looks awesome (say what you will about Dreamwave, but the image of Megatron with his sword in War Within is amazing, and this captures that feel quite well).

I do think his robot mode is a bit big for the character, ideally in my opinion, they should bring back the ultra size class (19-21 cm tall with adequate bulk – Cyb Defense Red Alert, Classics Onslaught, Classics Powerglide, etc.) and have Megs be that size, while Prime is a voyager (smaller than CW Prime - which kinda is ultra sized, but bigger than Classics Prime – LROP size or a shade smaller would be good). Leave leader class for truly bigger bots like Ultra Magnus, Jetfire, Grimlock, Overlord, etc. But for whatever reason Hasbro seems to have done away with the ultra size class (probably because voyager has blurred into it, as has leader which has shrunk a bit). But ultimately 22cm isn’t a bad size for Megatron.

I haven’t bothered even looking at the stickers – never been much of a sticker guy, and with them being images on white stickers instead of clear, they’re not worth bothering with at all.

So, in a nutshell, great toy, definitely worth getting, but still room for improvement.

9. Overhaulimus

Overhaulimus Sword of Fury!

News Credits:
    I found him at Wal-Mart yesterday, he and Armada Megatron were the only 2 Generations figures that they had and I bought him.

My God, I am in love with this figure. Hasbro really out did themselves with this one.

10. Astrotrain52

Astrotrain52 Former Green Kool-aider

News Credits:
    Just bought this guy yesterday. I've yet to be impressed with him, Henkei Megs is still the champ in my eyes.

If anyone wants mine, PM me

11. DrGrim

DrGrim OBEY

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    My Amazon order showed up in the mail today. He's amazing. He's kicked Classics Megatron off the Megatron shelf to take his place.

12. Rattrap Primal

Rattrap Primal Geek Overlord, Botbot Collector

any pics of him with Weaponizer Optimus Prime? I reckon that Prime would be a nice fill in until a Leader Class Generations Optimus

13. kylash327

kylash327 ThePlasticGeek

News Credits:
    [​IMG]

14. Rewind

Rewind Data Stick

News Credits:
    Found one at Target tonight, woot! I hope Hasbro is proud of this thing, because it's one of their finest moments. With most of their toys showing obvious attention to cost-cutting it's wonderful to handle one that is beautifully sculpted, fun to transform, hefty and LOADED in gorgeous paint applications.

I do wish he had more forward movement at the hips, but I'll survive.
    Also I wish the stickers were transparent because the gun filigree detail looks AWFUL with a white backer. I put both of them on and had to peel them off immediately. On the flip side, the stickers being on a white backer works well for the faction symbols as it allows you to completely cover the con symbols with the Autobot symbols, which I did immediately because MTMTE. :D 

Has anyone managed to get the arm cannon off yet? It seems like it would be a friction point where it rotates since there is no visible pin but I haven't been able to pull it off. I was going to take the cannon apart but there are no screws so it must be glued.

15. Massasoit

Massasoit Combicon

Yeah, there is a peg on the red connector piece that extends up into the cannon which is indeed glued together. I managed to get it off with... minimal damage, but it wasn't exactly fun. I already cut off the peg, but I recreated what it looks like through the magic of blue tac.

[​IMG]

Now you can flip the cannon over and peg it in higher up the forearm for a much more convincing fusion cannon.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. StrifeZ

StrifeZ Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    So I thought about the Lacks... but too wide, and I'm space constrained on the wall I keep my detolf. Is there any other option anyone can think of?

17. Rewind

Rewind Data Stick

News Credits:
    Thanks for that! I'll stop yanking at it now. :lol  I'm still going to try and get it off for some modifications. I just like being able to remove and re-position it on Megatron toys.

The cannon looks better where you have it on his arm.

18. megatroptimus

megatroptimus Untitled

News Credits:
    LOL! Just took these before seing yours.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. Dachande

Dachande Janitor. Moderator TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    How does that affect the tank mode?

20. daddytron

daddytron Your mom is an oversized CHUG

I love this figure a little more every day. It just scratches so many itches I wanted in a CHUG style Megatron. The 2006 version was serviceable but those wings....yuck. And that mold hasn't aged nearly as gracefully as Classics Prime IMO.

Now that I have watched some reviews of Apollyon... I still think this is the best version of a G1 Megatron face/head sculpt. Bucket head...check. Unibrow....check. Wicked red parallelogram eyes...check. Not friendly expression... Check.

The articulation leaves a bit to be desired, although it's decent. But in most respects Hasbro nailed it on this one.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2015