Combiner Wars (Gen) Constructicon Devastator

Discussion in 'Transformers Feedback & Reviews' started by Starscream Gaga, Jun 27, 2015.

1. Fallout

Fallout Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    most sites estimate december, sadly. i don't mind the wait though, if the chitzy hasbro one is getting such good reviews i'm sure the takara one will be amazing.

2. Shmoptimus Prime

Shmoptimus Prime Za Warudo! TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Instagram:
    Ah crap :(  I was really hoping to stuff him in my suitcase (whenever I go to Japan I go with a half-empty suitcase) and skip the (probably) insane shipping prices.

Honestly it's worth it for the elbows. I still can't believe that they'd release toys without elbows that are larger than legends class.

3. Morbo

Morbo Knowledge Brings Fear

The lack of elbows on Long Haul and Scrapper was certainly done for stability in the combined mode. Adding extra motion there weakens Devastator. Hasbro's obviously more concerned with ensuring he's solid as can be than Tak, which isn't surprising. It's perfectly well in keeping with how the market is different in the USA. Tak is so wholly focused on the collector market, they can make those kind of changes.

Kind of disappointed in Mixmaster. He's the weakest in both individual modes, in my opinion. Would have much preferred a more traditional cement mixer layout to this one, and it probably would have helped his bot mode. Oh well.

Aside from that, Devy is just damn beautiful. Solid, great posing, well-proportioned. One of HasTak's true masterpieces.

4. BigPhill

BigPhill Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    YouTube:
    How big and heavy is the CW Devastator box compared to a Botcon one?

I'm only asking incase my neighbours have to take it in for me, and they're a bit old and frail.

Cheers.

5. TFXProtector

TFXProtector Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Nearly 20 inches, not counting the outer shipping carton, so closer to 2 feet in length. Weighs about 8 or 9 pounds.

6. incapable hulk

incapable hulk I am the Liquor

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Tumblr:
    Pinterest:
  7. Shmoptimus Prime

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Instagram:
    Seems like I'm in the minority on this, but I'm really not impressed with this set. At all.

It's clear that the combined mode got the most attention by far, and that's OK, but I still find that the shoulder parts with the treads like to come apart easily, and there are other parts that don't stay together well. Not to mention that Scrapper makes a really shitty ankle with his arms sticking out. I mean, Devastator LOOKs amazing. Really cool, and even as I type this I can feel myself warming up to the combined mode more and more as I look at him, but he feels a bit too flimsy for the money I just spent. The head sculpt, the size, the weapons, and the overall look of him are pretty great though!

The individual bots are pretty terrible. They look G1 as hell and some people are into that, but I'd much rather see a more updated and sophisticated look for them. They're super blocky and cartoony-looking, and I'm not that into that. That's just personal taste, but the lack of decent arms on several of them as well as the lack of paint is a huge letdown. It's really inexcusable. Plus Mixmaster and Hook's huge kibble backpacks? Not impressed. Bonecrusher (who's crotch gave me no trouble), Scavenger, and Long Haul (due to his awesome chunkiness and ability to hold all the weapons) are the only ones who I have any interest in seeing in bot mode again, and even Long Haul loses major points for basically being a leader-class figure who doesn't even have fucking elbows.

Vehicle modes are okay. Nothing amazing, nothing bad. I'll probably enjoy the vehicle modes more than the bot modes, but they look bland as hell thanks to the lack of paint. If I felt like I'd keep this set (I'll most likely sell it soon) I'd paint the hell out of them and I'd actually consider that a fun project, but as of now I'm not planning on doing that.

Overall I'd have to say this:
    Bot modes: 4/10
    Vehicle modes: 7/10
    Combined mode: 8.5/10

8. lordcryotek

lordcryotek Following proto

Shogo Hasui himself has said in multiple interviews that the simplicity of the bot modes had nothing to do with stability and everything to do with a parts count requirement by Hasbro. I could almost understand stability being a factor with Scrapper, but Long Haul's elbows have absolutely nothing to do with keeping the combined mode together. Stop spreading misinformation.

9. Mr. Chaos

Mr. Chaos Head of Illuminati Chapter 517

News Credits:
    I can't help but wonder if you are either mistransforming him or got a bad one. My guy pegs in SOLID... I can easily grab him by the arms and walk around and nothing pops out and comes loose.

Are you tabbing the treads into all three spots? There are two on the back to lock in the back part of the treads each, and then a single front one. Then are you tabbing the chestplate in correctly (you should tab them in first then tab the gut to the chest piece)?

As for the ankles... again, I think you either got a bad one or, more likely, aren't transforming him correctly. For example, Scrapper's shovel can completely lock in so it can't flip at all, making it a VERY sturdy leg. I have my guy using the one-click ankle title for a wider stance and he is steady as a boulder.

Devastator is a figure you really need to go over carefully and learn... there are a ton of little locking tabs and steps to make him a BEAST that are easy to miss.

10. gbm

gbm Well-Known Member

I 100% agree.

I really, really, REALLY feel like anyone who doesn't give this figure an A+ hasn't taken the time to figure out all the little locking intricacies of this very well done figure.

........and in another month, Perfect Effect will make it even more perfect-er. lol

11. Shmoptimus Prime

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Instagram:
    Maybe I missed a couple tabs or something but the combined mode isn't my main gripe at all. The individual bots are terrible IMO.

Seeing the comment above about parts count being the main problem makes sense to me. It still doesn't mean it doesn't suck though :(  if I was able to pick up a Takara one for cheap then I woulda gone that route but alas that's not possible.

12. orionpax636

orionpax636 What the...?

News Credits:
    After owning and messing with mine for a week and a half, I can agree with this a bit. Going in I was severely disappointed in the compromises made against the individual bot modes and my opinion didn't change much after owning the set. If the individual bots had to lose basic articulation that almost all their Combiner Wars cousins have to support a Titan class combined mode, I almost question why this set had to be a Titan.

I too would have been interested in more modernized takes on the individual bots rather than the highly G1 looks we got, but my opinion would be better if they had better articulation.

Don't get me wrong, I do love the combined Devastator (enough to spring for the SDCC version) and he is more imposing and impressive at his sheer size and mobility than his CW brothers. But I'd be willing to sacrifice the size and shock factor to get more poseable team members, even if they had to be the same size as the rest of the CW line. As it is, Defensor and the Protectobots are still my favorite gestalt of this line.

13. incapable hulk

incapable hulk I am the Liquor

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Tumblr:
    Pinterest:
    Actually they do, as they peg into the back tread on each arm bot and hold them in position.

I am not sure why they could not come up with a better soloution and give him actual elbows, but they do at least hold part of the combined mode together.

That is all I can come up with to try and justify it :( 

14. Shmoptimus Prime

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Instagram:
    There's just no excuse for having figures taller than 2in that don't have elbows. I don't begrudge Minimus Ambus for not having them! I really wanted to go into this set with a positive attitude and have as much fun as possible but when I mess with the individual bots I feel like I'm playing with a kid's toy from the 80s, and not in a good way. My brother (who doesn't collect Transformers and isn't swayed by any online opinions) made the happy meal toy comparison without me prompting him at all. It's just disappointment in the simplistic designs and I get bored very easily without articulation.

Combined mode is definitely imposing but my Bonecrusher wants to separate at the middle of the bicep every time I move him around. Also, the gun won't stay in the hands. Not to mention that Scrapper's stupid elbow-less arms love to untab every time I try to use him as a foot for anything other than standing still. And let's not forget the thigh panels that want to slide out when I move him around... I want to love this so badly, but I just don't. Maybe mine is looser than most but I'm just disappointed.

And what's the excuse for having a fucking hook sticking out of his back in 2015?? It couldn't collapse a little or fold down or something? It's not a cool homage to G1, it's just being cheap AF with their parts count.

15. Mr. Chaos

Mr. Chaos Head of Illuminati Chapter 517

News Credits:
    Here's the problem with your last comment: If they didn't have Hook's arm that way, fans would be whining about it not being accurate. Look at the complaints because Mixmaster is reversed.

16. BigPhill

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    YouTube:
    So I finally got my hands on a Devastator, but have one small problem.....

I just can't get his chest-plate to click into place. One set of treats will connect to it, and the other one just springs off.

Any tips?

Thanks in advance.

17. Shmoptimus Prime

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Instagram:
    That really has nothing to do with me. I mentioned specifically in a previous comment that I care very little for G1 accuracy and would rather have a more modern look for these characters, especially the individual bot modes which I find to be cute at best.

I mean it could at LEAST stick out a little less than now.

Also, I have absolutely no problem with Mixmaster being reversed, especially since there's basically a second cab section molded into the "back" of it, so it can really go either way and not look super weird.

18. gbm

gbm Well-Known Member

The effectiveness of that chest piece depends on LOTS of things aligning properly....including the proper transformation of both L and R arms.

I had issues at first too.

Just restart from the beginning. Take both arms off, make sure everything is transformed correctly, then reattach. Then get the chest plate back on; it'll work eventually. Then it's a brick!

19. Underwear

Underwear Banned

News Credits:
    For those having problems with combining Devy, just remember this, he combined from vehicle modes to Devy.

If you start him with all the Constructicon members in bot mode, then the process gets tedious & you'll lose focus. That's when minor nuisance such as parts not tabbing properly or misaligning may occur & b'coz of that you get irritated and pissed about the whole thing.

Just take your time with it. :) 

20. BigPhill

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    YouTube:
    I managed it about 5 minutes after my last post, but had already turned off my PC.

I watched a video on YouTube of it, that said it was easier to put the chest piece in before putting the upper part onto the main body.

I tried it that way and it worked brilliantly.