Combiner Wars Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Shin Densetsu, Dec 12, 2014.

1. TheDecepticon

TheDecepticon Resident Asshole

News Credits:
    I believe so. Its the Seacons and Monstructor im less certain about

2. Dramatic Spoon

Dramatic Spoon Well-Known Member

God I hope so.

They're my favorite combiner team.

3. Bob Schoonover

Bob Schoonover Poorly-Known Member

News Credits:
    I am confident (not because of inside info or anything) we'll see the Terrorcons and Seacons, as well as probably Predaking using the CW connector scheme. I'll even go as far as to predict that with those three, plus some combination of Beast Wars characters and Monsterbots, we'll probably see 5-6 new combiners in 2018-2019.

It wouldn't surprise me if Monstructor follows the presumed Liokaiser situation (no new molds, a voyager torso instead of two deluxes), either

4. JaZzPrImE74

JaZzPrImE74 Sub to my YT Supreme J

News Credits:
    Just put G2 menasor on layaway. GOD IM A SUCKER FOR NICE ARTWORK AND COMBINERS!

5. duttry98

duttry98 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Ah, thanks. I was worried we were missing some. I put the ones we had in my son's card binder for him and started noticing some were not present of figs we had..... like the Combaticons we just got. Thought I had misplaced some.

6. gbm

gbm Well-Known Member

Minor tweaks:

- painted tail weapons white
    - turned rear fins around (like a real shuttle)

[​IMG]

7. Lady Slipstream

Lady Slipstream Hi.

News Credits:
    Someone should make a full alpha bravo combiner, but with Optimus BC as the torso, and it would be called "Alpha Prime"

Edit: or with Sky Lynx as the torso

8. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout ...and I'll whisper "No."

News Credits:
    Enh, still wouldn't be as glorious as Ejector Prime

9. CyrDraconis

CyrDraconis Well-Known Member

Been a while since I posted in this thread - finally finished the main roundup of Combaticons! No Shockwave yet, but I can at least drop quick thoughts on the team and the big guy proper. Side note: 'Bruticus' is my most common combiner across the eras, by far - I suppose that says something about both releases and my collecting. G1 molds via the CR/RiD2001 Commandos, Energon Bruticus Max, the ROTF redeco of Energon Bruticus Max, FoCticus, a random KO undersized Bruti(ny)cus, and now CW. Go figure.

In increasing order of my interest:
    Vortex and Blastoff are easy, since they're straight redecos. I liked the original molds enough (though I'm firmly quite done with Alpha Bravo's mold now, sorry Victorion); Blastoff looks good in his G1 colors regardless, Vortex...made some interesting choices in bot mode, but it's not a horrible deco.

As a rework exceeding even Dead End-into-Streetwise, Swindle is impressive. The sheer amount of parts different from Rook is incredible, and making the vehicle not even close to similar is impressive. He keeps the good points of the mold in transformation and articulation, although I find I agree with a couple of the other reviews out there opining that as a robot he looks a little -too- beefy for Swindle. Still, not bad! On a 'my copy of the toy' note, how d'you get his head apart? The balljoint doesn't seat properly on mine; not to the point of falling off or looking cicken-necked, but it's not quite in there.

Brawl...sorry, dude. The new mold just falls a bit flat. I like the -design-, I like the vehicle mode, but the execution just goes a bit wide of the mark. The ab fold seems to hold pretty well on my copy of the toy, but it still doesn't do anything to improve the look of his midsection; the forearms are stumpy, the shoulders have parts-crashing issues...I like the idea behind the look, but as a physical toy it's flawed. Bummer.

Onslaught is a case where the remolding and redeco is enough to get me to duplicate a Voyager-sized mold. Never mind the back-to-front swap, the extra details changed out make it worthwhile. I appreciate the way the new combiner chunk hides more of the vehicle's gappy midsection, and past that it's as solid as Hot Spot. As a robot, of course he has a similar silhouette, but the redone chestpiece and shoulder provide enough visual difference, the head looks great, and the addition of heel spurs (instead of having to use the ladder as kickstand) certainly make the cut. The knees hold together quite a bit better than my Hot Spot's as well.

Bruticus as a whole hasn't dethroned Superion as my favourite so far, but he ties Defensor for second place. Despite the issues i have with some of his component toys, he's a solid combiner with all the appropriate bulk and heft. The little changes in Onslaught's torso mode, like the different shoulder orientation, and the new combiner chunk go a long, long way to making Bruticus look good -and- different from Defensor. I also appreciate the little bit of balljointiness in the combined head, and small details like the three spots on his upper back. Good on you, big guy.

I could say that I might be done with CW for now, until and unless we get confirmation on that Computron set (nostalgia there, the only Scramble City gestalt I completed as a child)...but I'm not sure. When I had Superion and Menaor done, I switched my display shelf to combiner stuff - CW, Energon, my favourite PCCs, and so on...and man, the Autobots are way outnumbered. Computron would definitely help, but as for what's out now, I think I'm going to track down a Battlecore Prime. Sky Lynx looked cool in photos, but the reviews I've seen have really turned me off of the figure; I think I can find a mix of limb bots from the Op Max and Sky Reign waves that looks decent on 'Nova'.

10. Mizzinno

Mizzinno Merc With A Mouthplate

News Credits:
    Alpha Omega?

11. Slingshot

Slingshot Back In the Game

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    I'll take a picture of that tonight... however, I only have Blades, Vortex, and Alphonse Braveux, so he'll be one arm or leg short. Eh, I'll put Slingshot in. He always makes things more impressive.

12. gbm

gbm Well-Known Member

My god, I don't think I own a figure that hasn't gotten the "silver spray" treatment.

CW Hound, with silver painted thighs, forearms, and gun. Subtle, yet makes such a difference.

[​IMG]

13. marvel b

marvel b Bearer of the Matrix of Smash

News Credits:
    "go shiny,my cybertronians,and go chrome!"

14. Raiyuki

Raiyuki Low Class Seeker

You goin for Runamuck as well? Also did it say how to combine Wreck Gar?
    I like this one a lot. I always thought First Aid would make a decent Fire one just being an emergency vehicle, but using Rook's clever too.
    That's pretty Groovy :cool: 
    One thing I think about with Swindle is that the original toy was short and stumpy but bulky. This one's bulky but overall better proportioned. My only issue with him is the exposed hands in alt mode (which is one thing Rook does better.) Overall I do like Bruticus but as a combiner I do feel he looks a bit stumpier than he should due to his thick thighs. He is however very secure and I like how the chest plate pegs onto the shoulders and hides the combiner pegs.

15. Composite Ghost

Composite Ghost Motorized Transformer

News Credits:
    This seems like a good place to ask a question I had over in the Sky Lynxs feedback thread.

Does anybody have a Sky Lynx with working ratchets in both hips for combined mode? Or even come across somebody with one?

I'm not sure if I should open mine or hold out and see if a fixed version comes along like with Motormaster.

What do you guys think? Be patient or open now?

16. marvel b

marvel b Bearer of the Matrix of Smash

News Credits:
    as far as i know, not one has perfect rachets on both legs. mine were pretty decent, but still needed the extra styrene.

open it now,and do the fix. ten minutes max = super maximum funny pics!

17. ma70er

ma70er HasTak/3P TF Collector, Gamer

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Even if Sky Lynx gets a running change like Motormaster (who knows when it would even happen), I'd still be skeptical as to whether the revised ratchets will hold under this much weight:

[​IMG]

Do the fix and get yourself a better Sky Lynx in just a few minutes.

18. Mizzinno

Mizzinno Merc With A Mouthplate

News Credits:
    I was thinking of a better Betatron

Scattorshot
    Wheeljack in for Lightspeed
    Rook in for Nosecone
    Air Raid in for Strafe
    Mirage in for Afterburner

My thought is that Wheeljack took the two pre-existing combiner limbs, reverse engineered the combiner technology from them and was able to create the first artificial combiner. Wheeljack would later go on to create new Autobots to fill out the combiner, allowing the two limbs to return to their original combiner, Mirage to return to doing Mirage things, and Wheeljack to continue one-upping Shockwave.

19. NeilJam

NeilJam Resident Audiophile

News Credits:

I think those would have all been the best starting molds for the Technobot limbs. Wheeljack is obviously best for LIghtspeed, Rook would be a better base for a giant drill, I'd prefer Afterburner re-imagined than as an oversized motorcycle, but Strafe really depends on remolding the most so I'm not sure the base mold matters as much for him

20. doomtron

doomtron Hunter

News Credits:
    Working on it :)  I had never truly transformed onslaught I have to say he is one of my favorite voyager all time