Combiner Wars Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Shin Densetsu, Dec 12, 2014.

1. Lazerwave

Lazerwave My Most Prized Treasure

News Credits:
    That's why I have to cup there.

• Like Like x 2
  2. barry

barry Well worn member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    "Well then. Leadership. Leading. Being a leader. What's it like so far?"
    "Meh."
    From Robots in Disguise #23 "Winners & Losers"
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 7
  3. T-Hybrid

T-Hybrid Gnodab Kidult (He/Him)

News Credits:
    I was fortunate enough to find someone who sold me a UW Ratchet. But good to know there's workarounds for those who weren't.

• Like Like x 2
  4. thiengo

thiengo Well-Known Member

Destrons Liokaiser P_20200424_011336_vHDR_On.jpg

• Like Like x 20
  5. DocSeth81

DocSeth81 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 27, 2020
    • Like Like x 2
  6. rayce

rayce Decepticon Defector

Soon..
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 16
  7. waflhaus91

waflhaus91 Co-wisest person at TFW, as proclaimed by barry.

Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Custom URL):
    Tumblr:
    20200427_212633.jpg 20200427_213652.jpg 20200427_213625.jpg 20200427_213451.jpg 20200427_213318.jpg 20200427_213034.jpg 20200427_212511.jpg 20200427_215831.jpg

• Like Like x 12
  8. DocSeth81

DocSeth81 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  9. bkz

bkz Deceptifiend

Don't know why CW Sky Lynx gets so much slack, I love this figure! Gonna stick with this version of Sky Reign and Orthia as my only other non official G1 Autobot Combiners.
    20200428_074405.jpg

• Like Like x 11
  10. imfallenangel

imfallenangel Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Slack? (that usually means giving it a chance, easing up on it, relaxing the rules for it)

I think you mean grief or that it doesn't get "love", not cared for?

And simple, it's a figure that wasn't done in a proper G1 fashion, it's small, doesn't separate, etc. and as a core of a combiner, it's a totally different take of the figure.

The upcoming Earthrise is true to the G1 character.

Myself, it wasn't that I have any attachment to the character from G1, but as a shuttle, etc. it was just too small, I just wasn't a fan of this CW version, it just didn't pull me... the cheaper plastic of this line didn't help either, and as a "new" made-up combiner, again, no appeal to me, no hate, but just didn't care for it.

• Like Like x 2
  11. bkz

bkz Deceptifiend

I had the G1 version and I like both versions (G1 and CW). Unfortunately, I don't have the space for any stand alone figure larger than a leader class. The plastic quality does bother me as well as the hollowness behind his wings, other than that, I think its a great re imagining of the G1 character. Also one of the best CW torso's IMO.

• Like Like x 4
  12. TheAmazingBrave

TheAmazingBrave 吾輩は猫である!!!

Also, the upper arms do not lock in place. Like at all. It becomes tedious to mess with after a while, I'll admit. The leg ratchets also aren't very strong out of the box and need to be reinforced with fillers behind the tooth piece (folded paper, sturdy foam, etc). That bit of critique tends to get drowned out by all the geewun bitching. Still love him to pieces, him and his goofy cat face.

• Like Like x 1
  13. imfallenangel

News Credits:
    I think that it's been a huge issue with so many series of late, the hollowness, cheap feel of so many figures... Siege stunned everyone as it was a return to decent plastic and less hollowness, at least for a while, then a few figures started being a bit more empty, and the plastic felt a bit cheaper a bit... With Earthrise, it's still early to say much, but I do find that Prime is great but the plastic feels a tad cheaper than Siege Prime and the trailer fells almost completely back to the cheap stuff... Wheeljack and Cliffjumper are fine, but with some weakness... How I wish Hasbro would give just a little bit more care and pride in their figures instead of just how much profit they can get. Anyways, I would have to say that what you're stating is probably a big part of why CW Skylinx just didn't pull at me...

Side note, the worst part in the CW stuff is that I ended up getting a KO Superion as I had missed out on it (and found it overpriced at the time) and compared to my other combiners (genuine), I found that the plastic quality to feel better, sturdier than the CW figures I have (closer to the Siege stuff).

Well, it's probably similar to the Dinobots, which as individuals are close to spot on as G1 updated versions, but so much could have been also done to make them even better.

As a combiner, most complaints is that he's simply badly done, as Grimlock's central core mode is just plain weak, the "shoulders" barely stay together, so I would guess that it's a similar situation of poor design due to Hasbro simply being cheap again and not adding a few extra pieces that would have prevented these types of issues. So I would consider that it's the same with this CW version of Skylinx.

Note that I'm not "bitching", but just stating a comment about the engineering of these figures, and that I find the term "geewun" very similar to a racial slang (as it's meant as a disrespect) and wish people would stop using it.

• Like Like x 1
  14. stprime

stprime THE コンボイ that the Matrix refused

News Credits:
    Added some paint to the faces and finalized the which kit parts go to who.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 8
  15. RazorclawX

RazorclawX Campaign Oracle

This isn't universally true. I've been seriously disappointed with Siege and most of the Siege figures. The Tetrajet mold is pretty good at disguising the fact that it's a guy carrying a vehicle on its back in most pictures, even in the ones fans post, and Barricade is a floppy mess who can't stand up if his life depended on it. Most Siege figures are simply just better at hiding their hollowness, not that they're not hollow. Even a guy that transforms into a box like Refraktor needs those hollow spots to transform into anything.

If anything, they feel JUST like the CW figures, only more expensive, and in some cases, come with unnecessary battle damage.

• Like Like x 2
  16. Randomento

Randomento Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    • Like Like x 1
  17. imfallenangel

News Credits:
    As in other threads, I've stated something in the sense of: "name me a figure and I will tell you what's wrong with it and what should and could have been done to make it 10x better".

So I do agree with you that even if Siege is much better than almost all lines from the last several years, I do try to be unbiased and tell it like it is when I give my analysis of a figure.

And I did say "most, less and better plastics and for a while".

I've also started, with Siege, to get 3rd party kits, something I never bothered with, but as I do consider Siege to be "definitive" versions of these characters and most probably the last versions I'll get, I want to kick them up to what they can be. So I've done a lot of customization, lots of paint (again, something that I've only started with Siege).

I've had to "pledge" a lot of the joints already, something that older generations proved to be better designed in part, as they had very simple ratchets, even in deluxes size figures.

If you're seen my posts throughout the last year, you'd know that I offer pointers, approaches, instructions for fixes and customizing to improve the figures, and I've been very clear on my stand to the fact that Hasbro could be doing a LOT better, considering that they jacked the prices 100% and more, and giving us less that we would get not that long ago.

Also, to me "hollow" is 2 levels:
    1. Do not have any reason to be, as they are not part of the transformation, are very visible and make the toy less that it should be.
    2. Can be due to transformation BUT could and should be "corrected" with a very simple hinged panel.
    To me, the "hollow" king is Impactor, the emptyness of the legs is ridiculously bad. Ultra Magnus's shoulder towers and legs are next on that list, and then several others that the gaps and such are just too visible.

That said, again, I understand your point, but I also consider that some figures are made a certain way as per their design. I'm quite fine with the Tetrajets design, they are simple, probably one of the best Siege offered... as your point is that the wings that are a huge part of the alt mode just sits on the back in robot mode, and to me, for the quality of the robot mode, that's acceptable.

Refraktor was a bit of a "should I?" as, as per you stated, he's a box and a very small figure for a deluxe. But I gave in and got the box set to see for myself and in the end glad I did. He (they) is a bit of a paradox.. uber simple transformation as he's a freaking box... BUT... that you can do so much with it, so many "custom" alt modes (check them out if you haven't already) that he turned out to be a great figure.

• Like Like x 2
  18. grindcore138

grindcore138 ARF ARF!!!

News Credits:
    Everyone's a Targetmaster now!
    IMG_7545.jpeg
    IMG_7549.jpeg
    IMG_7563.jpeg

• Like Like x 19
  19. vvvTheONEvvv

vvvTheONEvvv \/ He Thinks He's Smart.

News Credits:
    • Like Like x 1
  20. Maximus Danz

Maximus Danz Trying to achieve something

News Credits:
    Does anyone know where i can find Liokaiser? I really want him but I was late to the party.