2D Artwork: Coloring of Matt Frank's Grimlock inks..

Discussion in 'Transformers Fan Art' started by encline, Jun 25, 2014.

1. encline

encline customizer of love TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Awesome artist Matt Frank drew this AMAZING Grimlock piece. It was colored by Thomas Deer(which was a stunning piece) officially.

I gave a shot a coloring it. I got some advice and guidance from some good friends who are from IDW and Hasbro, then plenty of critiques from other artists at Botcon. I am now asking for more critiques. This is my first full digital coloring, and while I like it, I want input from you guys on how to improve!

Oh, and I go the blessing from Matt and Thomas to post this up, so thanks guys!

Attached Files:

2. QLRformer

QLRformer Seeker

News Credits:
    That is quite a wonderful tribute to Grimlock.

But if I may say something:
    - it feels too crowded, they're too close together. Give them their own space.

- Give each Grimlock either a dino mode or a bot mode. Having both of them feels like overkill.

- I think you may have missed RID Grimlock. Granted he wasn't a dino but a steam shovel, but still I think he deserves a place in this.

It's your picture though, you do what you like; the only serious complaint I have is the first one. On the whole, it's fabulous and I look forward to seeing what else you got!

3. encline

encline customizer of love TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Thanks. I actually didn't draw it, IDW artist Matt Frank did. I just colored it and was asking about the colors. . And RID Grimlock is being stepped on by the animated Grimmy:) 

4. MinerEdgar

MinerEdgar Well-Known Member

What Grimlock is that to the right of Animated? I can identify all of them except him.

5. TheShockwave48

TheShockwave48 Kinda sorta artist

News Credits:
    ^^IDW Grim. Excellent colors that complement an excellent line art!

6. TGping

TGping Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Overall pretty good, first time doing this?

First, maybe play with tempurature's of light and darks, for instance if you have a warm light source utilize cool shadows. So the lighting hitting the figure may be orangey red(technical term) while the shadow side could be a deep purple bordering on blue...

I see you trying to separate the figures from the foreground and background, I think you can achieve this more by using some atmospheric perspective, which means the farther things are from the viewer the lighter and cooler(temp wise) they get. So go ahead and mask off some of the background characters and background itself and go over it with a low opacity light blue brush :) 

Of course Josh here has a great tutorial, but that's not what I wanted to bring to your attention, its the brief section on creating glow effects, step 12, found here: Wreckers Page Process by dcjosh on deviantART

Don't mean to overload ya there, but I just thought I'd introduce you to some of the things I've learned to keep in mind.