College Jobs

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by 19Jazz84, Jul 19, 2017.

1. 19Jazz84

19Jazz84 Well-Known Member

Twitter:
    Hey all!

I'm about my start my second year at LSU and I'm looking into finding a job to supplement my resurrected love for TFs. As of now, my schedule is open on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, with classes from 10:30-6 on Tuesday and Thursday. I'll be taking three live lecture classes and two online classes (15 credit hours total). I'm a mass communications major with a concentration in public relations, so I would like to find a job that will give me some applicable experience in a field related to journalism, broadcasting (preferably radio), or PR. I'm also trying to look into online jobs, such as freelance writing or survey taking, but honestly don't know what I'm doing. I struggled last year as a result of a terrible roommate, not being prepared for college, and having too much responsibility and time on my hands that I didn't know how to manage.

I'd love to get recommendations on specific jobs, but am not expecting too much since some of what I'm looking for is pretty specific. If any of y'all have any suggestions for places to look for online jobs or anything like that, that'd be a big help. I'd prefer to do something that is actually going to help me work towards my career if at all possible, but am not completely above taking a basic job (preferably nothing in food service though). I've already started on a résumé, but would be open to advice on making it as presentable as possible.

Also, if anyone wants to share their experience with balancing classwork, jobs, and a social life while in college, please feel free to do so!

Thank you in advance for any help!

P.S. I'm learning my way around through Photoshop and Illustrator so if y'all have some requests for work to do in there, I'd even take that. I only ask that you keep it somewhat simple since I'm still not at a professional level, but would still accept a reasonable challenge.

2. GoLion

GoLion Banned

News Credits:
    Retail. I did that all throughout college. Flexible schedule. Plus, if management likes you, they'll let you come back without having to go through hiring process every summer.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Wheeljack_Prime

Wheeljack_Prime Searching for the Infin-Honey Stones

News Credits:
    I worked in my college's theater department, building sets, stage setup, and operating lights/sound at non-theatrical events.

Really fun job it was, would totally do it as a career for the right pay.

• Like Like x 1
  4. MetalicGrunt

MetalicGrunt Rust Proof Commando

News Credits:
    I did private security and worked for the Army as a DA civilian.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Macross7

Macross7 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Does the college have its own radio station? See about a job there since it relates to what you want to do.

6. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    Is there any paying jobs at your college paper? or copy shop?

What about becoming a teaching assistant? or a tutor?

What about working at an events company or marketing street team firm?

Do you know of any ways to look for freelance graphic design work?

Failing that, you may have to resign yourself to a part time gig that does not support your major. Security, bartending, retail, food services, these are all options with relatively low barriers to entry, you could also try dog walking, childcare, or other service - based industries. Do you have any special skill outside of your academic pursuits?

Monster, Indeed, etc. all have online job postings, some might be useful, but honestly, for this kind of thing you might be better off trying to use word of mouth or taking a walk around your neighborhood and asking businesses if theyre looking for help (bring resumes with you). Also you could talk to your college's career centre or a local employment agency not-for-profit.

With all due respect and no offense meant, your field involves a lot of chasing down information and digging up opportunities, you might as well get the practice in now. Chances are a message board like this is going to be of limited effectiveness, so you might be better served by thinking through your approach differently in the future when you have a problem like this.

7. Purple Heart

Purple Heart Fall Passions

News Credits:
    Retail is your best bet in school, as sucky as it is.

8. 19Jazz84

19Jazz84 Well-Known Member

Twitter:
    From what I've found out, it's a volunteer station and the spots to host go primarily to Mass Comm majors in the broadcasting concentration and typically seniors/juniors.

The paper is pretty much the same situation to the radio station so I don't think that's really an option. My GPA isn't high enough to become a TA but I have thought about maybe being a tutor for algebra or something basic. I hadn't thought about an events company or anything like that so I'll definitely look into it! I have looked up freelance graphic design jobs but most of what I've seen seems to be wanting more professional level work whereas I'm still scratching the surface of graphic design. I don't know of any special skill that would relate to a job, but I did start an Ultimate Frisbee club in high school and enjoyed being in a leadership role like that so I guess that would be the only thing I can think of. I definitely understand that rationale about getting used to chasing down my own info and whatnot. I just thought I'd give it a shot in the hopes that I could maybe find something from someone here. After all it doesn't hurt to try!

9. Fuzz

Fuzz Garbage Pail Kid

Back when I was in college, I delivered mail. The USPS is always hiring casual carriers. When I was there it was $10/hr. Don't know what it is now. They were pretty flexible with me from semester to semester, on days I was unavailable.

10. MetalicGrunt

MetalicGrunt Rust Proof Commando

News Credits:
    Most of the USPS jobs are now geared towards veterans, both full and part time. Could be a waste of time to go through the testing - ie Veteran's Preference in Fed jobs.

11. Fuzz

Fuzz Garbage Pail Kid

"Casual" carrier, as in not a civil service position. So no test required. Pays less, but decent when in school.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Metroplex79

Metroplex79 Hey mouse, say cheese!

Same. They are quite flexible.

I have a similar story. I had a position via job placement agency for a summer (beginning of May till Labour Day). The next year after exams, I was curious if I can get back in, but management had changed, and everyone (who stayed) was taken off of the job placement agency and hired directly. So the new boss told me he'll think about it. An hour later, he asked me to come in tonight, and bring the usual ID and stuff. I was greeted by 4 of the 5 team leaders I had worked with the year before, and the new boss. No interview, just fill out the forms for payroll, grab a new shirt, and head in for a 10 min refresher course. The new boss had asked the 4 if they knew me because on the phone I said I was there last year. They vouched for my work ethic and competency.

After that, I was never taken off payroll, and was told anytime after the summer, if I needed a shift or two, just call 48 hours prior so I can be slotted in. So the occasional long weekend, Christmas break, reading week (or study week, or spring break), whatever your country you're from is calling it, I was there. Technically I didn't need the extra money, as working full time for the whole summer paid for tuition and books.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Pudglor Shmormuff

Pudglor Shmormuff Well-Known Member

Honestly, with all the social drama and bullshit I went though with college: I probably would've been better off with a job and spending most of my time working. Would've saved myself truckloads of stress.

I would suggest retail.
    Possibly trying to get a job somewhere on campus- maybe there's a coffee shop or the library's hiring- something campus-based.

• Like Like x 1
  14. prowl07

prowl07 Well-Known Member

When I was in college I worked at the front desk of the residence halls. Easy money and I got a free comedy show Thursday - Saturday night.

• Like Like x 1
  15. KremzeekTyCobb

KremzeekTyCobb Feed my eyes (Now you've sewn them shut)

News Credits:
    Similar experience. I worked at the student union front desk. Got to see all school sponsored parties and meet all the campus big wigs. Loved that job!

• Like Like x 2
  16. Cascadia

Cascadia Mt. St. Hilary

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    While in college, I worked in the campus bookstore. It was a fun part-time job and got some discounts on supplies except for college textbooks. They liked me a lot that they asked me to return the fall term after I graduated to help with rush.

• Like Like x 2