Collectors, what does your significant other say? Also, how old are you?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by bob_fett, Nov 29, 2012.

1. bob_fett

bob_fett Active Member

My wife and I were talking last night about everything we've gotten our son for Christmas. I pointed out that there were a few items I wouldn't mind having for myself and she gave me that look as if to say, "Aren't you too old to collect toys?" The main reason I like some of the toy lines (Star Wars, GI Joe, Transformers) is that's what I had when I was a kid. Sometimes she tells me stop living in the past. I had a great childhood and many memories with these so I don't see it as living in the past. What does your significant other say about you collecting? How old are you? I just turned 35 and still love browsing the various toy line forums I'm apart of. I haven't bought much for myself because over and over again that's all I hear in my head is what would my wife say about me buying toys. We are more than financially stable. We give ourselves an 'allowance' each month on what we can spend on ourselves. For example, I love going golfing and going to the shooting range to shoot my guns.

Obviously, if you don't have one, you have the freedom to do what you want.

2. Kaijumaster

Kaijumaster 335

News Credits:
    I'm 29, been married 6 years, and as long as they don't start bleeding into a second room or start getting stored in boxes cause there's no more room I'm golden.

3. graymer

graymer Well-Known Member

I think if it's an important part of who you are, then it's worth having a serious discussion about collecting them. She probably made that comment because many people think it is childish to collect toys, and view spending money on them as opposed to a vacation or something, as improper use of money.

Golfing and the shooting range are no different than collecting toys. They are hobbies all the same. I'd try to just have an open conversation about it with her.

Oh and I'm 28; recently got out of a 9 year relationship, but it wasn't related to Transformers at all.

4. Roufuss

Roufuss Shots

News Credits:
    29 and she collects with me and has her own lines she likes to collect.

5. graymer

graymer Well-Known Member

EDIT: Double Post.

Sorry.

6. Paladine

Paladine Well-Known Member

7. doomboy536

doomboy536 Universe Onslaught fanboy

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    26 and my wife is extremely supportive. She reminds me when my spending gets out of line but delights in the fact that my collection makes me happy. Hell, she even sat me down one day and told me that we needed to get a Fort Max. Hard to get much more supportive than that!

8. Raiju

Raiju Navel Shocker Veteran

News Credits:
    Flickr:
    Early 30s here and recently married (one year anniversary coming up soon). The wife is cool with it for the most part (she's a huge nerd and Transformers fan too, just not as big a TF fan as I am XD) but she does worry about space and, of course, how expensive this hobby of mine seems to be getting.

Tripping over swarms of robits is a concern (that and our dog still thinks she's a puppy; no kids, thankfully) so I'm trying to get my display and shelving options together. Just bought a new book case but may spring for a store grade glass display case somewhere down the line (there's no IKEA in town, otherwise I'd get some detolfs).

We've got zero debt (college loans have been taken care of long ago, car was bought with cash) but we may try to save up for our first house soon (I travel/move a bit due to my job). We'll see how that goes. As long as there's food on the table, a roof over our heads, and money in the bank, I'm pretty much free to enjoy this hobby of mine (within reason; Raged Hercules remains my most expensive purchase to date).

9. ex dtw2003

ex dtw2003 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Late 30s and she is cool with it but doesn't want it overtaking the house. And honestly neither do I.

10. Foster

Foster Haslab Victory Saber Backer #3 Veteran

News Credits:
    I'm 36. My wife doesn't mind. It's just another hobby.

11. cliffjumperftw1

cliffjumperftw1 I have no idea what I'm doing.

No significant other. Though my mom's always like" Why don't you spend your money on things other than toys?" I'm 15. :) 

12. Mattress T

Mattress T Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    About to be 35, and believe it or not, my wife is a better toy hunter than me. She always seems to be able to find the hard to find pieces, in the last month or so she brought home prid ultra magnus, thundertron, kup, rumble, mp optimus, all the gdo and fe reissues. It is as if she is blessed. I am also blessed for having a wife not only willing to put up with my habit, but dropping so much on it as well.

13. bob_fett

bob_fett Active Member

Man, a lot of you have supportive spouses. I'm not saying mine is not, she just doesn't understand collecting toys from when I was a child.

14. Cyclonus79

Cyclonus79 Decepticon General

Ebay:
    I kicked my significant other outta my place a couple months ago. Since then, I went on a spending spree. Picked up MT Giant , some MP's , the rest of the Prime line I was missing, an now in the process of filling in my Japaneese TFC Reissues. Yes, life is good. :) 

15. Matty

Matty @StayingInTheBox Veteran

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    I'm 23 and just recently married less than a month ago. However, wife and I have been together for over three years and have a 3 year old daughter.

My wife at first was just downright shocked - she really didn't think collecting on our level truly existed. But in short time that shock factor grew to total support and appreciation. She's a casual fan now and is right there with me on toy hunts, movie premieres, and even has an Autobot tattoo :D 

16. Chaos Prime

Chaos Prime Combaticon

I'm 32, and at first my wife was okay with my collecting, she even got me a few things here and there, but now that we've moved into a smaller place, she's a little less supportive. I can't say I blame her.
    In fact I'm seriously considering thinning out my collection a bit. The problem is that's very difficult for me to do.

17. Foster

Foster Haslab Victory Saber Backer #3 Veteran

News Credits:
    Everybody understands nostalgia when it's put into terms they understand. Does she listen to music from when she was in high school? Does she still have her old yearbooks? How about a collection of John Hughes movies on DVD? Tell her it's the same thing to want a masterpiece optimus prime in your garage or office.

18. SG hailstorm

SG hailstorm JaAm aficionado

News Credits:
    I'm 18, my ex before she left me was alittle annoyed cause she thought i payed more attention to TF collecting then her which was complete crap and untrue, hopefully the next girl is the right girl and doesn't mind i'm collecting them for my future kids/grandkds so i can have something cool to hand down to them

19. SG hailstorm

SG hailstorm JaAm aficionado

News Credits:
    All i can say is :thumb 

20. Dragonclaw

Dragonclaw Briefly the owner of KB Toys

News Credits:
    42, been together with my wife for 11 years. My collection grew pretty much out of control for a while and while she's still happy to see me collect she helped shape my habit from being an extreme completist who had to have everything (even if I didn't like the figure) to quality over quantity and encouraged me to purge the pieces I didn't have the desire to keep and to pursue collecting things I liked MORE....then she realized that arcade machines take up MUCH more room and she wished I'd go back heavier into TF's :D  :lol  :lolol