Collector Interview 26 for TFsource - Paul "Spacebridge" Hitchens

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Maz, Jun 27, 2014.

1. tikgnat

tikgnat Baweepgranaweepninnybong.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Ha, cool interview, it's nice to get a perspective from somebody who's been in the hobby for longer (and more involved) than me.

I must say though. I would love to see in hand that pink Hot Rod proto, just to satisfy the TFUK comics itch.

2. Maz

Maz Square One TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Tumblr:
    Maybe he'll be good enough to bring them to PubeCon :) 

He's got a resin hardcopy hand-painted pink prototype which stands significantly taller than the production toy - it actually has knees, albeit not articulated.

The other pink Hot Rod (I know, I know) is a test shot with putty in the joints, it's the exact same one photographed for Toyfare magazine before the figures hit the market. Stunning items, some of the best out there.

All the best
    Maz

3. Raiju

Raiju Navel Shocker Veteran

News Credits:
    Flickr:
    That's a lot of Infernos, lol.

"Here's Johnny!"

4. iDarkDesign

iDarkDesign None shall stand all shall fall

News Credits:
    Hitch... G2 stunticons on ebay. NOW!

iDD

5. scubaboy31

scubaboy31 Digital Gypsy

News Credits:
    I'm not sure you could handle that. Not sure I could either. Very little could to having a pint with Geoff Senior though and I managed that!

I completely forgot about the knees! I actually modded my old Hot Rod to have the legs extend that far. Yet another case of weird nubs being added to a toy to restrict a designed feature. He really looked better for it too. Might need to do it to my current Hot Rod.

It won't make him pink though. Sigh. One can dream...

6. Logik

Logik Real Life Diaclone Driver

Ebay:
    Maz, you really hit this one clean out of the stratosphere! Such as great read and discovering or rediscovering (I can't actually remember) Mr. Hitch and his awesome history and collection.

The depth and breadth are simply overwhelming!! The Spacebridge is an entity on to itself!!

Bravo!!

7. jinx23

jinx23 Wrecker

Ebay:
    Good stuff

8. salmonman78

salmonman78 That's MR. Magnus to you all...

Wish I would have listened to myself when I have sold some of my figures in the past. Great article and that statement really hit home.

United Stepper is going to be a pain in my wallet when tax returns hit next year.

9. mcluskyism

mcluskyism Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Unlikely, neither of them live in London and I'm not paying their airfare! They're all at AA anyway, and possibly the LFCC with Budiansky and Delbo in October.

Be great to have Paul at a PubeCon, he's someone I've bought bits off for years, but never had a proper chat with and sounds like he has many interesting stories to tell.

10. UndertakerPrime

UndertakerPrime Unlikeable dry-skinned biped

Maz, you have outdone yourself.

This is probably the best interview of yours I've read so far.
    Amazing stories from Mr. Hitchens, who I probably unknowingly met at Botcon once or twice (I went to all Botcons from '99-'02). I remember someone selling a bunch of European Action Masters, including Elites, MOSC. Maybe he's the guy who let me photograph some loose European Action Masters...

Those were the days when you didn't have to sell your first born to get a G1 fix. That's when I also amassed many of my G1s that weren't childhood carry-overs. I also have the Wheeljack chime, which was on my door when I was younger :D 

I see he also has a Sharkticon color model. I've been interested in tracking down where these ended up, since many were sold on Ebay in 2002, of which I own a handful and Furyan owns most.

11. Erector

Erector I ruined the Hall of Fame

News Credits:
    Mr Hitchens was, I believe, the first person who made me part with cash at Auto Assembly 2008. I've given him a fair chunk more since then :lol 

Favourite moment was in 2008 when he gave a sealed Armada Prime to some kid... the boy looked bloody chuffed. I got a complete Ultra Magnus off him for a tenner that year.

Great guy, good laugh, and superb interview :) 

12. taterx

taterx Lurkin since Transfandom

I really enjoyed reading this. I know who he is & have for some time and have never been to England ha. Feels good to read about good guys like this who are still enthusiastic about the brand and hopeful for its future after all this time.