Collector fatigue?

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by 0ursisthefury, Jul 12, 2018.

1. lordcryotek

lordcryotek M'Hael

I've taken many long breaks from collecting only to come back time and time again. Much healthier than the drinking hobby I'm currently on a self-imposed break from, but I don't know if it's as satisfying.

• Like Like x 4
  2. Blackout32

Blackout32 ANTHRAX - PERSISTENCE OF TIME

Cybertron The Matrix of leadership knowledge,power
    Twitter:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Yeah i think i get sleep deprivation.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Orion2703

Orion2703 Ultimate Hunter

I used to be a collector like you guys, till I took an arrow in the knee :( 

• Like Like x 5
  4. XXLMagnus

XXLMagnus King of Kings

When your CC’s are maxed you make the best purchases ... just sold a LG Metroplex for $420 (it was prophesized when I purchased)

now I have ‘19 toy money + a rando few Bengi’s to throw at Optimus v3 and his G1 cohorts ...

• Like Like x 1
  5. DashCourageous

DashCourageous Greetings Programs!

Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    2dxf32.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  6. cj37a

cj37a Well-Known Member

I find organization labors, unboxing and trashing garbage, finding space, and backlogs of unopened packages due to being on business travel or just plain busy, to be poison for the hobby. That is actually stress and not good. I recently made a move to not let this happen to a point where I have to spend a whole weekend or more to catch up. Sometimes this is not possible but a backlog of unopened items can grow quickly to the point where storage is eaten up and I have to wonder about my sanity as does my family lol.

A good article by Maz on the matter. @Maz and other power collectors.
    Backlog – The Source Report

Though Im not much into army building... I catch myself sometimes. I mean Sixshot did have so many clones/shadows of himself ^o^. Being the golden age of Transformers and all it is difficult to not be eaten up by the hobby. I have even bought some of my favorite bots for display in my second residence when on business there. I originally didnt think I would do this but I got the collectors bug for sure.

My G1 and comic IDW universe is the only ones I have room to display. My armada trilogy, car robots and other universes must remain in storage until I organize further.

Though do not mistake my stress foran excuse to exit or be done with the hobby. I find pleasure in all my purchases and aquisitions . Enjoying my collections when possible is the reason I am in to this hobby, I just need to keep the poisons and labors of it at bay. If I find a part of the collection to no long bring me entertainment then it is sold off.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
  7. pilot00

pilot00 Well-Known Member

Not right now. But then again I have a big uphill of a battle to fight to the point were my objectives are completed.

• Like Like x 1
  8. spot138

spot138 Proud Gee-Wunner!!!

Ebay:
    I think we all do from time to time.
    My advice: Take a break and try a new line for a while.
    Sometimes you find something you really get into and suddenly you are collecting a whole new line like M.U.S.C.L.E, Battle Beasts, NECA stuff like Predator, Aliens, NOES, and F-13. I guess It helps that I'm a movie maniac too. :) 
    Sometimes it turns out to be a disappointment or just dossen't work out for one reason or another like Star Wars Black, Lego, the newer Voltron stuff. Sadly, sometimes your favorite lines just give up on their own and kind of fade away, like MOTUC, or GI Joe.
    On the up side though is that if something dossen't work out, you can "cash it all in on Ebay" for a decent little windfall. I just did this, and made enough to buy a bunch of stuff I would never justify spending so much money on otherwise including: Gabriel, Pean, Crackup, a butt-ton of Reprolabels, some Pathfinder and D&D stuff, and TW's Constructor is in the mail as we speak.
    Point is : If you get bored switch to something new for a while, If it works out- Great, If not, well, maybe it'll give you a new appreciation or perspective on what you tried getting away from to begin with.

Last piece of advice though: - DO NOT - sell off your stuff , put it in storage, and forget about it for a while. Last year, I was burned out and almost made a huge mistake. I was just about to purge all of my 3P and MP stuff, but then my brother got me FT's Pheonix for my birthday. I was instantly refreshed, re- engaged, and am more excited than I have been in a long time with no end in sight.

V

• Like Like x 2
  9. knightofmercy11

knightofmercy11 Well-Known Member

I would compensate you by offering a sweetroll, but someone stole it.

• Like Like x 3
  10. pilot00

pilot00 Well-Known Member

Dragons?Dragons!

• Like Like x 1
  11. Honesty

Honesty honestly, Honesty!

News Credits:
    I been feeling the burn for sure.

The amount of “MP” stuff also really started killing me and I am thankful my MP collection is done (Kup and Arcee were the “final” ones I needed).

I may get FT Blurr, and a few more of the XTB Stunticons for a reasonable price if I can (eBay flash sales).

I am still interested in voyager(and up) “chug”/IDW figures but they come out ever so slowly.

Instead I been using my collecting money on more 1/6 scale figures and ... a mobile game :/ (ugh).

Should really save some of that money for the HDR-pass thru version of Sony’s PSVR and possibly an Xbox One X as much as I don’t want one - but I’d like to enjoy 4K blu-rays and would rather have a optional game machine to play them on rather then a dedicated player (though I basically like zero Xbox IP’s).

• Like Like x 1
  12. theestampede

theestampede Wandering Artist

News Credits:
    I’m feeling fatigue, but I think that’s due to a lack of “freshness,” so to speak.

Hasbro has power of the primes which barely manages two different gimmicks and isn’t lasting the normal length of a toyline. It’s definitely lacking in creativity, but I suppose it’s filler while they prepare WFC stuff.

Takara’s Mainline stuff is literally just the us stuff now.

MP has changed style, so it’s now starting to repeat characters.

And most of the third party stuff out the are attempts to fill out MP collections.

It just feels like there’s a lack of creativity in the market right now. That doesn’t mean there aren’t good products, but most of the products aren’t for me and I probably shouldn’t be spending the money anyways. My collecting has shifted to Iron Factory stuff, the new diaclone releases, and mezco one:12 and I’m enjoying it, it’s a nice change of pace I suppose.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2018
    • Like Like x 2
  13. deaculpa

deaculpa Stand Alone Complex

News Credits:
    I’m going to be putting up a lot of my collection over the next 24 hours to a week, all 3rd party/MP/legends/doubles...
    Stay tuned!

14. mapatel

mapatel Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Im feeling the same. I find myself more attracted to different quirky or basically not G1 and not MP stuff more. Just to make things different. But even then the enthusiasm is diminishing.

15. Soundwave2

Soundwave2 Banned

News Credits:
    Collecting's all about peaks and valleys. I'm in my 30's and I'm in my "fourth cycle" of collecting TF's. Not counting when I was a kid, I started collecting in HS (1996) and stopped around 1999. Picked up again in 2003 and stopped after the first Bay movie burned me out in 2007. Then picked up again in 2012 and I've been recently purging a lot of my collection again.

The only thing that keeps pulling me back in right now are 3P HM/MF/Victory characters because I've been a fan my whole life and we're only just now getting good renditions of those characters.

But yeah, I usually alternate between Star Wars, Transformers and various 1/6th lines.

16. GAUGE

GAUGE Wargod ARTS

News Credits:
    I don't have collector fatigue persay. What I have is "lack of cash" fatigue. With so many 3p companies out there now, and all of Has/Tak's stuff, I just can't keep up no matter how hard I try. With the ever climbing prices continuing to rise almost every 6 months or so, it's getting harder and harder to buy things for my collection. It's such a shame to say this but, this hobby has become a Rich Man's Hobby. There's just no way around it anymore. It can't be denied. By rich man's hobby, I mean people that are deep into super successful careers people that rake in more than 200k a year (2-4k a week) I just don't recall this hobby ever being as tough as it is now to keep up with. It's just tiring at this point trying to keep up with constant releases by both HasTak and all these 3p companies. I'm not a completionist by any sense of the word and believe me, I'm not trying to be either lol, it's just wow even the MP styled stuff is so tough to keep up with anymore.

I'm lucky to buy maybe 1 3rd party fig every other month (sometimes even waiting for up to 6-7 months). and in terms of the crap Has/Tak puts out, I'm lucky to maybe get a couple of their figs a month (money is just so super tight these days lol. It's just not as much fun anymore. But, I just can't find it in myself to stop collecting. I am however, being what feels like being Forced out of the game. TRU is gone, and most other stores here in Arizona I don't have access to due to not having a vehicle, I use city transit. But hey I still try. :lol  I do all I can within my means. Still I'm super super grateful for all I've been able to collect up to this point. and this is now my 8th collection I've been working on as all my other times I've collected I had to sell my collections due to unforeseen bills, due to loss of jobs, late rent etc. And man forget about me trying to shop online lol by the time I usually get around to ordering things I can finally afford, they are always loooooooong gone (out of stock) I don't preorder from most people anymore because I always end up NOt having the cash and am always forced to cancel things. This Hobby again is meant more for the Rich these days, not the lower income variety. But I do what I can always within my means.

I tend to more live vicariously through people on this site, crying inside of all the things I'll never get to own, but wish I could. Because I'm just always too late to the punch, or I don't have the cash or when I do have the cash finally the things are long gone. And forget about hunting. I've got the worst luck in the entire state of Arizona. I never find anything I actually need. just barren shelves or shelves with garbage shelf warmers nobody wants. or shelves that have stuff on the pegs from old RiD and old movie waves I don't collect.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2018