Collector fatigue?

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by 0ursisthefury, Jul 12, 2018.

1. 0ursisthefury

0ursisthefury Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Anyone experiencing collector fatigue? I’m not really sure I want to continue collecting and I’ve got quite a collection. I’m so close to finishing but I don’t get as excited as I used to.

• Like Like x 5
  2. edgecrusher

edgecrusher "She wanted nothin', and I delivered." TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Can't wait to be done! :) 

Might actually get to enjoy the figures themselves more vs the lengthy acquisition process and the forums.

• Like Like x 3
  3. foobot333

foobot333 Well-Known Member

lol, it happens! i still have a big brown box with a few 3rd party MP transformers in it i got a few weeks ago... unopened. my MP collection is mostly done, but i think there's far more to this hobby than buying and collecting. Photos, trading/selling, conventions, forum trolling, toyhax decals, I mean... these plastic things are toys to be played with, and the imagination can run wild.

• Like Like x 1
  4. axiom

axiom What the what?!?! Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Instagram:
    Yeah, happens to me. I used to get just about everything that came out (CHUG wise), then moved to MP's and third party MPs. Now, I have most and get a couple as they come out. I just buy what really peaks my interest and not much more. Currently loving all the legends scale stuff coming out from third parties.

Whenever I get fatigued, I move on to another hobby or collection (Lego Star Wars). Though I seem to always come back to Transformers at some point and in some other fashion.

One thing I won't do though, is sell my collection. I know, some time down the road, I'll find an interest again and don't want to have to recollect everything at collector prices.

• Like Like x 3
  5. djmajin

djmajin Masterpiece Collector

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Instagram:
    I have wallet fatigue

• Like Like x 15
  6. CigarJackal

CigarJackal Cy-gar smoking beast warrior

Ebay:
    No fatigue, just annoyance, awaiting releases taht should have been out a year or more ago.

• Like Like x 4
  7. mtl79

mtl79 Well-Known Member

I'm slowly migrating back to hot toys... the way takara boosted their prices and the prevalence of less premium looking sun bow figures has turned me off (I figure 3p prices will soon follow)...

• Like Like x 7
  8. Chrisola

Chrisola Solid crotch ratchet

News Credits:
    Somewhat, yes.

It's why these weird choices for those animal figures, seemingly endless versions of the same characters and FT trolling with releases is bothersome. And why 'life after G1' changes in directions make me think WTF.

Just get on with it, growing older and poorer here :p 

• Like Like x 1
  9. zodconvoy

zodconvoy Well-Known Member

I hit a wall years ago with Classics. I only needed Trailbreaker and Gears to finish my Ark crew. By the time I got Trailbreaker, I was kinda bored with Classics and when I found Gears (the Swerve repaint), I passed on him. I'd just gotten bored with them. I ended up steeling a bunch. Might have been because I was so close to finishing that it lost it's fun. Now I'm doing MPs but still not the the level I used to even 5 years ago.

It just loses the fun sometimes.

10. zfarsh

zfarsh Big Penguin Chief

News Credits:
    kinda feeling it too actually

• Like Like x 2
  11. Drake915

Drake915 Autobot Scout

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Mine is a mix of wallet fatigue, lack of stuff I'm interested in and funds to buy the stuff I am. I think I'm going through a down cycle, so I expect when the next hasbro stuff hits and 3P legends that I don't have are more readily available, I'll get more excited again.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Mkall

Mkall Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'm waiting for the rest of the G1 characters to be remade into Generations-style, get the rest of MMC's DJD and then I'm pretty much done aside from a couple new characters that come out every now and then.

In all honesty, I'm very much looking forward to having a 'finished' collection.

• Like Like x 1
  13. deathsheadII

deathsheadII Not a Bounty Hunter yes?

News Credits:
    got too much other stuff going on in my life to get fatigue from collecting :) 

• Like Like x 2
  14. Dek

Dek Y R U Reading This?

Yup, I'm actually done with Transformers. The Severo Core has my interest but I know I won't buy it. I'm just waiting on the Marvel Legends Thing to drop and I'm done there unless they do a Dr. Doom an then I'm completely done. Hell I used to spend a $150 dollars a week on comics, and now I barely break 20. And that's going to go down after the IDW run of Transformers raps up. I think I'm moving into a phase of my life where I just enjoy what I have.

And I'm alright with that.

• Like Like x 2
  15. Tanafor

Tanafor Autobots at work

News Credits:
    I have creativity fatigue. The last time I was really excited about Transformers was when animated was aired. Really well revamped characters, a really good story and amazing toys. Nowadays it's always more of the same, more of the same...

• Like Like x 5
  16. kibble

kibble Seeker style, yo!

Yes. Been there for a while. But my MP collection is very close to done so I'm hanging in there, pretty much just waiting for a good MP Brawn and I could be done. The big question is if I want to make any more big purchases like the v3 MP Prime? I want it, but it's hard talking myself into dropping the $300+ it'll likely cost when I just don't care THAT much anymore.

• Like Like x 2
  17. stevej

stevej Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The last 6 months of NO NEW MP TFs have really done me in. MP Prime v3 looks OK but hasn't gotten me drooling over the photos every 5 minutes as some MP reveals have and, probably due to the fact that all the obvious characters have already been done, the 3rd party scene has gotten a tad dull. The current MP cartoon styling doesn't really do it for me either.

Basically I've gone too long without and there's no future purchases in sight. I haven't gone this long without anything on Pre-order since... Well... As long as I can remember. Wouldn't be so bad if I actually thought my collection was finished but there are still some heavy G1 season 1 hitters I really want to see before I get too old.

Couple this with the fact that I packed away 3/4 of my MPs back in Feb so that some dusty DIY work wouldn't cover them AND the fact that I've recently become way more invested in building the Lego UCS Millennium Falcon than in transforming any bots and it seems a recipe for TF apathy. The DIY work still needs some finishing but I'm not missing my collection as much as I thought I would.

I'm not bitter, I don't think I'm owed anything and I still pop by every day to see what's up - even if I linger and post way less - and compared to the Lego community this really is a sweet wee scene we've got going here (something I didn't appreciate until I tried to find Lego hang-outs)... I'm just getting less and less interested in the toys right now.

Of course, if Takara come along and knock an MP Hound out of the park I'll be back to full excitement mode in seconds, but I can't help but think even that will be tainted with my grumbles about blue windows and him probably sporting a silly green face.

This Falcon though... THIS FUCKING RULES. :) 

• Like Like x 2
  18. knightmare6

knightmare6 Reflector In Disguise

Ebay:
    Yep, partially collector's fatigue and being broke between this, aquascaping, and photography!

Pretty much focused on MP scale this point and will be putting some stuff up for either sale or trade soon!

• Like Like x 1
  19. XIII

XIII TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Same here on all counts.

20. Sylent

Sylent Making Cybertron great again

My fatigue comes from running out of space. I have nowhere left to put things, so I'm forced to shift things around in my displays or put them in storage. I currently have things in my toy room stacked like Jenga bricks.

• Like Like x 5