Collection the transformers toys

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by heryaniadam71, Jun 7, 2014.

1. heryaniadam71

heryaniadam71 New Member

What collection should I collect the G1 transformers or the Present Transformers: Movie toy & Prime toy line?

Help, I'm starting to collect transformers since 2006 but apparently I think G1 transformers are starting to get extremely rare (but i don't have any of them yet, both sides),[​IMG]

but I do have the movie transformers (autobots) and I think I'm still missing [the three arcee, mudflap, skids, leadfoot, topspin & jazz]

so should i get the G1 or the transformers Prime......

also I want an answers from a collector with experience in this things.....^_^ thanks very much in advance

2. Gargamel

Gargamel Well-Known Member

Easy. Get the ones you like.

3. jinx23

jinx23 Wrecker

Ebay:
    I personally collect g1, g2 (kinda), generations, mp and third party

If I had to focus, I would do g1, mp and a few third party

But collect what you like and welcome

4. shellformer

shellformer @

Exactly. There is no point to a collection that isn't what you want it to be. If that means the G1 Ark crew, the BW transmetal cast, powermasters or every blue transformer is entirely up to you.

I buy what I can afford of the things I like so I don't really collect anything, as such. I mainly got BW and BWN followed by a smattering of Generations and some TFP. I've got the odd Armada figure and mini-con as well. It's a fairly personalised bunch of robots.

5. KR DynobotPrime

KR DynobotPrime BigRedCollector

Instagram:
    I used to buy most of the movie line figures when I started collecting. The older I got the less of the movie transformers I bought and just started buying transformers that I like and personal favorites (Ironhide, Grimlock, etc.). Now a days, I'm sort of start collecting masterpieces and third party transformers, and also smaller purchases of characters I like!

6. Pravus Prime

Pravus Prime Wields Mjolnir!

News Credits:
    Yup.

Years ago I had a collection focus. So I bought figures that fit that focus, be they good, bad, or in between. After I moved, when I was setting up my display shelves, I didn't put the entire collection up, I only put the ones I actually liked up.

After that, I stopped being so focused on a themed collection and instead had my collection; I was a lot happier when I just bought the ones I personally liked rather then the ones I "should" have.

One step farther; my grandmother loved Hummel figurines. She had them on a wall display above the couch in the living room. She had the plates visibly displayed in the hutch and talked about what a great collection she had and how much certain pieces cost her. Eventually she had too many and only displayed the member only club figures in the display above the couch that you could only get by being a member of the Hummel club that year and never again. After my grandparents passed, I decided to see what they were going for. There were entire lots on eBay for $5 or less. The plate that she had paid almost two hundred dollars to complete the decade run? I found 6 listings under $5 with a "Buy it Now" option. As her generation died, my parents generation didn't have any interest and had flooded the market with them, making them all virtually worthless. An important life lesson, collect what you like, not what you think is valuable.

7. flatline72

flatline72 Banned

News Credits:
    yup, another collectible that the market has dropped out on also is the majority of lladro pieces....they used to go for bank back in the 80's and 90's.....now the majority of them are sold for less than $40 where they used to command $200 and up...

8. Timothy.R

Timothy.R Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    this is by far the best advice.

i get the ones that i want.. and almost always i'll get the main cast of whatever the toyline is promoting at the very least. if there is a character in the line that wasn't in the show/movie, i won't get it unless i like it.

9. brr-icy

brr-icy G1 Collector

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    movie and prime to me don't have the quality of g1 or even rotf for that matter

10. strangeguy32000

strangeguy32000 Well-Known Member

If you can't afford something you want in your collection at the moment? just keep it in the back of your mind. You'll eventually find it for a price you find acceptable.
    And if you blow a bunch of money on something that ends up going down in price, don't beat yourself up too hard; They're toys, depreciation in value is bound to happen.
    Always always always have a price threshold and always always always always give yourself a hiatus.