Collecting the toys

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by decepticons1980, May 22, 2014.

1. decepticons1980

decepticons1980 Active Member

So, I was wondering and I'm probably like the only one here, but who else does not collect the toys, but is vary much in love with transformers otherwise.

2. LegendAntihero

LegendAntihero Banned

I watched Transformers for a long while when I was in elementary and middle school while owning more than 1 or 2 toys

3. Boulder

Boulder Rock Lord

I pick up very few of the toys (They're ACTION FIGURES, dammit!), but enjoy the shows, the comics, and the overall mythos.

4. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    U cant be a tru fanz if u dont spend ur entire paycheque on d toyz u r not a fanz if u dun go into hock over tf

5. Coffee

Coffee (╭☞ꗞᨓꗞ)╭☞

News Credits:
    I always drool over the toys buuuuut I'll buy a comic over a toy any day.

6. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    I'd have no problem just collecting the toys these days if there was no accompanying media.

That said, I might not be such a long-term fan now if it hadn't been for the brilliant accompanying media back in G1. Although the great profiles on the G1 packaging might still have been enough to snare me and keep me along for the ride.

7. RedAlert Rescue

RedAlert Rescue Banned

News Credits:
    I'm the opposite I don't read the comics any more since All hail Megatron came along and putt he last nail in the coffin that the procession of offensive and terrible IDW oneshots had dug the grave for and only watch certain TF shows (Never seen Masterforce/Headmasters/Beast Wars Neo/Beast Wars 2nd-/ Victory only seen a couple of episodes or less of TF Animated & still have not seen DOTM - but buy the toys usually - but buying anything related to IDW is a hard sell for me so if it had been anything else i'd have long since got it as it is there is great chunks of the Generations line I great with huge apathy.

In general my "Transformers fandom" these days seems to be expressed by 1) complaining about Hasbro & IDW on internet Boards 2) a passing interest in movie news 3) Taking photographs of my toys 4) buying mainly 3rd party stuff.

But I suspect i'd be able to stomach IDW related toys more if I was not forced to pay a premium for the one toyline I like least since Beast Machines due to Hasbro UK being muppets and allowing the line to be exclusive to TRU in the UK.

8. grindcore138

grindcore138 Handsome like an F-22

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Tumblr:
    For the first few years of my fandom I didn't collect the toys and didn't really have any intention of doing so. I randomly got given a DOTM voyager Shockwave for Christmas 2011 and thought about getting some of the movies toys but ended up finding the line a "meh", might go back and get some of the main cast at some point, though.

I didn't start collecting until halfway through 2012, I liked the look of the Prime toyline so bought a couple deluxe's when they were on offer and started picking up the odd voyager and deluxe when I could spare the dolla. I've mostly stuck with show characters with the odd exception; deluxe Kup and Prowl, the cyberverse Predacons and Trailcutter, and Arms Micron Swerve. Almost got everything I want, although A.M Breakdown is a pain in the ass to find.

Started collecting Generations last year, due to my love of the comics, with a couple IDW deluxe's and Springer, so my next collection is going to be IDW influenced, with the odd third party figure here and there.
    I'd love to get an Animated collection on the go, but that'll have to wait 'til I can really afford to do it.

The one good thing about the shitty distribution in the UK is it means I've got time to get the money together for toys I want.

9. decepticons1980

I gotta say I'm tempted to pick up AOE Drift all the online pics of his toy look really nice and would like to take pics of him my self.

10. Hothouse Prime

Hothouse Prime Not old... Just older.

As a kid, we were always too poor to have a lot of toys laying around, so while I loved the G1 cartoons, it was my cousins that got all the Transformers toys. I would go over to their house and they would ask me to put decals on their figs because I was so meticulous in lining them up and putting them in the right place.

As an adult I am able to build a collection that I would've been envious of as a child.

"Hard work pays off, dreams come true. Bad times don't last, but bad guys do!"
    -Scott Hall

11. FanimusMaximus

FanimusMaximus Kuphead

News Credits:
    Even though it started out as a toy?

12. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Rattrap Teabag

News Credits:
    Honestly I'm mostly in it for the toys lol...I enjoy the engineering that goes into them. I like the comics (MTMTE mostly) and have fun with the movies for what they are, but I really don't care for most of the cartoons aside from the Beast era.

But that's really neither here nor there, you can definitely be a fan and not collect the toys :) 

13. bny888

bny888 バグバイト

News Credits:
    During the time I was a fan of the cartoon in the mid-80s, I did not get a single toy, so I have to compensate these days, somehow, LOL!

14. tikgnat

tikgnat Baweepgranaweepninnybong. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    I'm the opposite, I am more enthusiastic about the toys than the accompanying media.

15. SegaGenesis

SegaGenesis Headmaster

Ditto, although I do like the g1 cartoon and '86 movie. This is a toy collecting hobby for me, though.

16. tikgnat

tikgnat Baweepgranaweepninnybong. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    I love the '86 movie and certain G1 episodes. My favourite media was the UK comics though, not just the strips but the whole ensemble they represented (the letters pages, the backup strips, the adverts etc etc).

These days I can't stand the cartoons, I haven't been able to sit through an entire episode without turning it off or falling asleep since Armada started. Actually that's a lie, the last full episode I sat through was the final Armada episode which I did quite like.

And Prime? Urgh what a snorefest. The battle scenes are long and protracted, all flash and no substance kinda like what the lightsaber battles became in the new Star Wars films. I was watching a BH episode where Predaking fights Ultra Magnus in some cave and was bored out of my mind.

The movies are enjoyable action fests, and I enjoy them for what they are but they're not the Transformers of my youth and indeed never have been. Bumblebee isn't every kids best mate anymore, he's now a pet dog.

Dreamwave comics and the early IDW stuff turned me off the modern comics in such a way I haven't really revisited them since IDW's Infiltration. Lacklustre Spotlight issues and All Hail Megatron didn't help.

Having said that I'm halfway through Regeneration 1 which I am thoroughly enjoying, I suspect primarily because it is a direct continuation of the Marvel G1 run... I mean it's not the best comic I've ever read and there are things in it that make me think 'lolwut?' When I'm done with that a friend has recommended I start with IDW's MTMTE trades, and I believe I'll be giving that a go.

But yeah, it's not like I hate the media, I'm just indifferent about most of it... but weirdly I really really really like the bio books, Dreamwaves MTMTE series (for their universe and Armada) were the absolute tits and I find a weird satisfaction reading the official handbooks for TF Prime and even the Bay Movies.

Last edited: May 23, 2014
  17. decepticons1980

I was introduced to transformers first by the cartoon not the toy, as a kid I did have some of the toys.

18. Silk Spectre

Silk Spectre The Evil Queen

I'm a media person first and foremost - which is honestly one of the main reasons (besides the falling quality in the TF lines) that I've quit collecting TFs all together: the majority of the media for Transformers doesn't capture me the way some of my favorite movies, shows, etc...do.

When I collect, I collect based on how much I love the character and the story/franchise. I like to surround myself with things I love, so like the posters on my walls and my other decor/items, my action figures reflect that - they represent the characters and stories I love.

There's a lot of cool looking toys/collectibles out there that I have no desire whatsoever to own simply because I'm not into said character/story/franchise. I can admire them for how neat they might look but they have no place in my collection if I have no affinity for what it represents.

19. Spadeshock

Spadeshock Mostly unpleasant

I used to collect the toys, and I still have a ton, but as I bought more my criteria for justifying a purchase got pickier and pickier. Now I basically buy none. Still love the fiction though.

20. G1Prowl

G1Prowl Prick, apparently

News Credits:
    Absolutely not, the figures inspire me to create my own fiction. Without the figures it'd be nothing. The fiction doesn't hold up as nicely as the superhero or sci fi fiction I like, so I just let the toys make the fiction for me.