Cloud 9 Quakeblast - Masterpiece-Styled Shockwave

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by banjoted, Jul 7, 2015.

1. Haydenite

Haydenite Ratchet Joints

Have you tried this already ??

Does it dull out the light due to the paint layer on the LED ? ?

2. Orion2703

Orion2703 Ultimate Hunter

Sweet, I ordered one a few weeks ago on that listing.

3. Cracka J

Cracka J judas in my mind TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    funny how the pink looks like bright purple due to the translucent parts, and what someone else said they used as a purple LED actually comes across looking a bit more blue-ish. just something I suppose to consider when choosing replacement LEDs.

4. wolverenz

wolverenz Decepticon

News Credits:
    are most of you guys bought this from TF-Direct? Mine is still stuck in customs since the 7th and hasn't updated yet. Is this normal? I live in Vegas and the item is at LA stuck. I haven't had this situation before I normally buy stuff from overseas but never took this long.

5. TRANZ4MR

TRANZ4MR General Thud

News Credits:
    Painting the bulbs would be my only option as well (terrified of Effing him up).
    If ANYONE has tried this, please let us know how it turned out (and what color you used!). Thanx

6. SoundMaster

SoundMaster Likes RID Bulkhead.

News Credits:
    Can somebody tell me the type of battery needed for the eye? I ordered one off of ebay and just got a shipping confirmation.

7. mtl79

mtl79 Well-Known Member

Can the light on the head be changed as well? would prefer consistent light colors... would probably use a light purple light for his head to be consistent with the chest...

8. paul5409

paul5409 Happy Member

Hi guys. I finally added a Quakeblast kit to my Quakewave thread. The LED requirements are the same spec for both figures (3mm with a forward voltage of 3-3.2v); the only difference is the hose. For those wanting to source parts yourself, the hose on Quakewave has a diameter of .125" and 5mm for Quakeblast. 9/32" vacuum line from an auto parts store will typically work for QB- just measure the OD at the store; they should have calipers (for measurements, not brakes haha) handy and can tell you if their line is 5mm. Vacuum line will generally have a matte finish, vs the shiny finish of the silicone hose offered in my kit. It's really just a matter of personal preference. All my kit does is give you everything in one easy package without shopping around. It's not magical :lol 

http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/items...ave-figures-extras-mod-shop.html#post13208207

To answer some technical confusion I've seen popping up in this thread: the factory LEDs in QW and QB are direct drive. This means that there is no form of built in voltage regulation from the factory in the way of a circuit or resistor. Why? Because it's not necessary. You will have a few Ohms of resistance from the switch, but nothing beyond that. In circumstances such as this, you are okay as long as you match up a 3v LED to the provided 3v power source. We're not talking about building a high lumen (2000+) LED flashlight that requires a voltage regulation circuit and a sizable aluminum heatsink (I wouldn't know anything about that ;) ). You'll be fine :) 

Also, when time allows, I will tinker around with a green LED for the chest cavity. I love all things G1 and wouldn't mind the option of an IDW "Point One Percenter" spark for Quakeblast.

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 16, 2016
  9. Orion2703

Orion2703 Ultimate Hunter

And just got my shipment notification. Sweet.

10. Kero

Kero Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Looks really nice. What is the difference between the flat eye LED with your package and the stock one? Is yours just not rounded? I'm not that experienced with electronics, so is there any way you can provide a simple tutorial? Might be picking up your QB kit. Thanks!

11. XOC2008

XOC2008 Wait! I still function!

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Not to answer for Paul, but I have done LED work in the past and made a couple tutorials for it. They are off-site, however, so if you want you can PM me and I'll give you the links. I don't want to break any rules here. :) 

12. Cheebs

Cheebs Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    That's...not how an LED works. It is actually making yellow light. No matter the color you paint on the outside, it will be yellow light you are filtering through the paint.

13. FrenZ

FrenZ Well-Known Member

Mine arrived. Great toy.

Only thing that bugs me is the hindered shoulder articulation as someone mentioned before. I think I can shave it down a hair with my exacto knife and the motion should flow smoothly then.

Also, the backpack lid cover won't stay closed. (as someone else mentioned), but you don't have to display him with the backpack, so whatever.
    *Edit* Backpack works fine :) 

No problems connecting the hose.

Mine came with two hoses and an extra solid hand.

No loose joints on mine.

I stand by what I said before, Quakewave is the better cartoon version of Shockwave. Quakeblast represents the comic/toy, flawlessly (the bio on the box suggests this is the comic version as well).
    Overall, I believe Quakeblast is the best Shockwave there is. His is more powerful.

Also worth noting, mine doesn't look taller than Quakewave at all, actually seems to be just a hair shorter!

14. RyanCharlie

RyanCharlie Banned

Mine arrived at last! It's super f%^&in cool. His left foot was bouncing around the box for some reason but a quick turn of a screw and he was standing normally.

15. T4LIFE

T4LIFE Well-Known Member

It will close nicely you just try to line up the panel (2 little pegs underneath i believe) onto the backpack.

16. FrenZ

FrenZ Well-Known Member

Thanks! I couldn't actually find these socalled pegs, but I played with it a little more and it clicked :) 

17. Haydenite

Haydenite Ratchet Joints

Yep, or you can just push it from the inside of the backpack outwards and put the lid down and push the backpack square again, the result is the same. It'll click into place.
    this is my method, and I've never had a problem with the lid not closing.

18. Raiyuki

Raiyuki Low Class Seeker

I gotta say the clear hand is rather terrible. Transforming the figure one more time (after many) one of the fingers came out of the socket and cracked the hand more. I do wish they'd just given a silver one.

19. CountDrunkula

CountDrunkula Sturdy Beard

News Credits:
    ...um...the clear hand isn't so much "terrible" as you broke it. By your own admission.

20. witeter

witeter Well-Known Member

Some pics to help with the backpack 'situation'
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]