Cloud 9 Quakeblast - Masterpiece-Styled Shockwave

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by banjoted, Jul 7, 2015.

1. Hellscream12345

Hellscream12345 One shall fall, you Prime!

Looks good, I like this one better.

2. BAD187

BAD187 Banned

Apparently for not making enough waves.

3. soymonk

soymonk Mathematical!

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    I missed out on all of the reissues as well, but that's my own fault, not FT's.

[​IMG]

4. David Hingtgen

David Hingtgen Chromaticon

News Credits:
    This is one of those instances where they should just leave it smooth/blank, so you have the CHOICE of where/whether you want an insignia. Shockwave's insignia is never on his shoulder IIRC----but it'll look weird to leave an insignia-shaped area blank, and put one elsewhere. Seriously, didn't they notice it's always on his forearms or chest?

Don't mold a spot on, but also don't make it bumpy/lined---just smooth/blank so that it looks ok either way. (Stickered or unstickered) This goes for frankly every 3P shoulder/chest ever.

5. shadowfall1976

shadowfall1976 The Alpha and the Optimus

He's just showing his loyalty, damn, leave the guy alone. Cut him some slack about it, he vot drunk one night and there they all were next morning. He even has one he never talks about...

Shit, i grew up on G1, they were all partsformers to some extent, popping stuff off and putting it back on somewhere else doesnt make any difference to me. To me its partof the nostalgia and fun.

6. Houndvoice

Houndvoice Well-Known Member

I have the 3rd run Quakewave, but I honestly think this looks like an improvement, especially his lower part. Quakewave is good, but it's not without its faults, and the design shows its age now I think.

7. TFDAD

TFDAD Well-Known Member

Although I own and enjoy Quakewave, there are some things I like better on Quakeblast.

• The elongated cannon
    • The more seamless transition to the feet
    • The crotch seems less blocky
    • The ridges on the chest/shoulders seem more accurate

All in all, I think Cloud9 has made some decent fixes to an already great bot. I'm not crazy about the larger hip skirts and the shorter thighs though. And why in the hell did they put the hose connection on top?

If they can nail the colors down better than FT, I might have to pick this one up.

8. TFDAD

TFDAD Well-Known Member

+1

I think QW is starting to age just a bit. It's still a great figure, but it seems to lose it's luster (in my opinion) with every MP and 3P MP release.

9. jcblazer

jcblazer Well-Known Member

Love my Quakewave, and have no intention of getting this guy. However, from the initial shots,Quakeblast does look better in my opinion.

10. koonfasa

koonfasa Well-Known Member

Shockwave fan here, I win either way.
    Only improvement to Quakewave I really want is a neck or something to give slightly more head articulation.

11. GodParticle

GodParticle Well-Known Member

This looks way better than ol' quakewave. QW was great at the time, but definitely could use some updating in the leg design. I will say that he's the most sold transformer I've ever had. I could toss him off a top shelf and he'd probably laugh it off

12. TheTFCollector

TheTFCollector Well-Known Member

Yep, I would have to rate FanToys the King of 3rd Party for right now, the Dinobots just knocked it out of the park. I am a happy owner of a shiny new SEVER. I would rate X-Tranbots 2nd, Appolyon is incredible. And Badcube 3rd. Just my opinion. I missed out on Quakewave, but that was my own fault. Not like there wasn't opportunities. It took Appolyon to get my into 3rd Party, but I have been very impressed with what I have, so I am definitely going to continue dabbling here and there until (and if) TAK gives better versions.

-Bob

13. 2003 Megatron

2003 Megatron Banned

News Credits:
    I would say for me. This looks a bit better than Quakewave. The legs certainly do.

But I don't like the added details on the shoulders. I will just wait for a Takara Shockwave.

14. Psychoshi

Psychoshi Grammaton Cleric

I like the look of this figure very much. It doesn't appear to have ankle tilts, which I feel should be an obligatory feature for mp/not-mp figures of this size. And the sculpted emblem on the shoulder is unfortunate. Although I would never want to put the insignias on his forearms like in the cartoon. I'm just not keen on that look, show accuracy be damned. (I prefer one on his chest)

I wonder if the tube hose can be displayed the opposite side (underslung) by rotating the arm, and still have the elbow function like normal. That would be a nice simple alternate display option.

As for the complaints about too much molded details, normally that would bother me for most other figures. But for this one, I feel that it is welcome. Since Shockwave is (ideally) almost colored entirely dark purple. With minimal paint app details. The sculpted details won't be nearly as pronounced to the eye once colored. I almost don't see the tiny sculpted details (unless up close) on figures like MP Magnus, another figure with minimal paint app details.

I have Quakewave, and will stick with it, unless this figure is shown to be of adequate quality, implemented ankle tilt, and reasonably priced.

15. DesertDog

DesertDog is a Limited Edition redeco.

News Credits:
    In the Alberta Rockies on my Triumph Tiger 800XC
    Unless Takara announces an official Shockwave before this guy comes out, I'll be getting Quakeblast over Quakewave, no question. The proportions look better to me, especially the waist and feet, and the detail makes him look more like an MP to me than without it. And it seems like he has a folding back kibble barrel and a non-folding G1-esque barrel. A nice touch.

Speaking of feet, I think he does have ankle tilts. I could be wrong but it looks like his lower legs have separation right where the ankles would be. It's apparent in the pic with the two barrel pieces on either side of him. His left foot doesn't appear to be inline with the rest of his leg and there are clear gaps between his foot, shin and sideplate.

16. Monari

Monari Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I would be blown away if he didn't have some sort of ankle tilt. I just don't believe it.

As for the feet, i'm a huge fan of Gundams in generaly, so clown shoes are great in my books.

17. Starscream1997

Starscream1997 Well-Known Member

Wonder if they'll get rid of that hole in the forearm later on and put it underslung as that was a compliant I had with Quackwave initially.

18. 2003 Megatron

2003 Megatron Banned

News Credits:
    It could be Possible....

19. danny boy

danny boy Banned

News Credits:
    Wow this kills Quakewave. There's too much rumour surrounding an official Shockwave though.

20. Incepticon

Incepticon |-+-|

News Credits:
    Oh brother, Quakewave did not age - it's just that people are finally seeing what a GOOD version looks like and are realizing that Quakewave only EVER just did the trick, but was hardly the be all end all "MP" Shockwave they wanted it be just because the bought it. The chest, the arms, the legs and the color - all CLOSE, but still a far cry from what they should have been. Guaranteed if this thing popped up at the same time as the original Quakewave did - like we now see happen all the time with other figures like the Insecticons, Reflector, Hound, etc. - this one would (if also colored properly) would win the comparison battle. Easily. Quakewave only "won" because it was the ONLY one. There was nothing else to choose from, and like clockwork, people just dove in instead of waiting for something better.