Closet Collecting

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by TrueNomadSkies, Aug 28, 2011.

1. Dark Skull

Dark Skull Well-Known Enabler Moderator

News Credits:
    Ummm....I don't have any TFs, Halo figures, or Star Wars figures that vibrate.........:tongue:  That response was more like a jab back at a potential prick anyway :lol 

2. TrueNomadSkies

TrueNomadSkies Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Duhh nvm. I was thinking of "my shit doesn't come with batteries", not strictly vibration.

3. Deadfett

Deadfett Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I hid it when I was younger say late teens but was the 90'sand it wasnt cool to be a geek. Now however it totally is so I no longer would want to hide it, plus with a tattoo'd geek sleeve with deceptichops logo I no longer could hide it!

4. Evil'Con

Evil'Con Genericon

News Credits:
    I do not hide it, but some kids who are younger than me are laughing at me and saying: You play with toys. I do not play, I collect. I tried with stamps ( not true ), and coins ( also not true ) and they are booooring. At least when I love movie, or cartoon I want something to remind me at it. He said: Haha, you watch cartoons. I said: Don't laugh at me, you are the one who watches Peppa Pig and Totaly Spies ( he watches, and he is a boy!! ).

5. TwilightNero

TwilightNero Maximal

Ebay:
    Not, to go off topic, but I'm a guy and thought Totally Spies was a cool show. Just saying.

Back to the subject, a lot of you guys are hitting the nail on the head. Also, although we shouldn't be embarrassed or ashamed of our hobby, I also agree though in certain jobs, you do have to make a line in the sand metaphorically. I guess my view are also being based on how accepting most of my family is about it. My aunts bedroom wall is FILLED in M&M stuff, and my parents will even buy me stuff they find at garage sales and stuff to help build my collection. lol I'm just rambling now, but here's what I mean in a nutshell I guess: You got one shot at life, live it how you want to live it regardless of how others will look at you.

6. Raiju

Raiju Navel Shocker Veteran

News Credits:
    Flickr:
    Air Force, actually. XD And yeah, imagine the breakdown of discipline and good order if my troops knew I collected and played with transforming toy robots! My authority as an NCO would never live down the shame of it, heh.

Actually, most of the guys I work with are into geek stuff like video games, Rock Band, Dr. Who, and Magic the Gathering as well. We like to give each other crap all the time, from our names to racial stuff to hobbies to whatever. XD

I just don't like to broadcast the fact that I'm a Transformers collector except to my fiancee/wife and select members of my family. It's just easier this way.

7. seali_me

seali_me RIP January 2018

i find the mandatory question regarding gift receipts in TRU somewhat annoying. especially when i go there all the time. i don't hide the fact that i collect toys as a hobby. i'll be happy to bore anyone about it but do i really have to tell the same people every single time?

nice jabs.

8. TrueNomadSkies

News Credits:
    Well, you could always go with something along the lines of...

I like to collect Transformers. You can come over to my house & fuck my sister. *punch*

9. Underhead

Underhead Zamboni-bot

I am a junior in high school, and while I have not denied my interest in plastic robots, I don't typically bring it up, even when people ask about my hobbies. Granted, I only have around 10, so it isn't a full time hobby, but its just not something I feel I can share with my school mates just because its not interesting to them.

10. CVprowl

CVprowl Done

they are too busy pretending/trying to be cool. dont worry about them. : )

11. TrueNomadSkies

News Credits:
    Pretty much.

Like, along with many other changes, one of the things I noticed once I got to highschool was that even the few assholes who remained were too busy with other things to bother with trivial bullying anyway. I guess a lot of this had to do with the fact that everyone started growing up.

12. Primal Sabbath

Primal Sabbath Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Oh dude why not? Lol
    I rock my con shirt(s) quite frequently. Then again like I said. The general public here (for the most part) likes Transformers. There are an awful lot of "closet collectors" here as well. But it's whatever. Haha

13. Toa Maximus

Toa Maximus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Mine's a secret because it is easier. I have the ultimate closeted collection because i display them on shelves in my closet

14. Underhead

Underhead Zamboni-bot

Its not that I do worry about them, its just why bring up something they have no interest in? I know I don't listen when my class mates start talking about football and such, why bore them with my plastic robots?

15. hardreturn

hardreturn Ian Reid

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    i wear my hat while working. don't see a difference between that and a sport team's logo

16. terry981

terry981 Well-Known Member

I wish this was entirely true. I know some people who are near 30s and are still very immature.

17. TrueNomadSkies

News Credits:
    Well in my defense, I said that people "started" growing up.

... not that everyone finished doing so. :lol 

18. Brainchild

Brainchild Dark Flame Master

I'm a nonchalant collector. I'll wear the occasional T shirt, and I'll easily let people know that I spend money on toys, but I won't go ranting on if someone brings up "that one cool Transformers movie". That makes all the girls swoon. Nonchalantly.

19. terry981

terry981 Well-Known Member

So true!:thumbs2: 

20. toxo-viper

toxo-viper Well-Known Member

None closet.
    I love to talk about action figures.:D