Closet Collecting

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by TrueNomadSkies, Aug 28, 2011.

1. TrueNomadSkies

TrueNomadSkies Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    That's a good point too, and I'd be lying if I claimed to have never avoided mentioning things from employers too. I've just found that being casual about hobbies is often the best way to go about it because not only do people see you as more than just a stooge, but they also see that you're not obsessed with it either. It's like oh yeah, those new transformers are pretty cool, I've actually got a shelf of nice ones at home... rather than acting overly defensive or going on for 10 minutes about how you believe Rumble is the blue one.

Speaking of which, I wonder what happened to that dude in the Off Topic section who was questioning whether or not he should hide his collection from a potential woman or something. *goes to check*

2. deathsheadII

deathsheadII Not a Bounty Hunter yes?

News Credits:
    rumble is red ^^ :lol 

3. SydneyY

SydneyY @syd_tfw Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I don't bring it up in a conversation and I guess visitors to my house assume the Transformers toys lying around belong to my kids, so I've never been asked, either.

I'm more known as a Star Wars fan among in-laws and friends as I do display my Fett collection (I don't display my TFs as I worry about dust).

4. TrueNomadSkies

News Credits:
    Haha, I guess the kids work as a good defense.

Also... what do you know about dust?

5. SydneyY

SydneyY @syd_tfw Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I just know it's a bitch to get rid of from toys...and very unbecoming especially on black repaints!

6. ShyGuy

ShyGuy Bye

I used to hide it when I was younger, but not anymore. Many people I know are aware that I collect Transformers, and none have ever mocked me for it and some have actually been interested in it. I don't ever really talk about it or make it obvious, but if it somehow comes up naturally I have no problem explaining it.

7. AutoBobby

AutoBobby The Collector

At first,I didn't actually hide the fact that I collected,but I din't go out and tell everyone either.After a while I said why the heck not let everyone know about my collection.It's cool now with everyone knowing what I collect because I have that many more sets of eyes out there looking for stuff for me.

8. brr-icy

brr-icy MP Collector

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    i've never hid it since i restarted, no point, 99% of people think it's cool or tolerate it, and the other 1% i can't stand hanging around anyways. i have never had a problem getting women either. they're now contained in their own room, but before they were everywhere in the apartment as it was a one bedroom. be comfortable with who you are, and what you do, and everyone else will be too

9. Dran0n

Dran0n miss me w/ that

News Credits:
    Closets are for clothes.

10. darkunor

darkunor Banned

I don't really hide it but I don't advertise it either but like the army dude was saying why give people ammo. Nowadays anyone who knows about it and tries to rib me in public about my collection I say anything I feel about them no matter how personal or embarrassing their issues are! Because believe me although it might seem relatively harmless but the jokes being made about your collection those can go a long way, it can even be the difference in you getting laid or not, or people questionning your judgement or opinions and even your authority.

11. UnicronFTW

UnicronFTW Don't blink.

News Credits:
    I don't make a point of bringing it right out there, but if someone mentions hobbies or collections or caught wind that I have a collection then I'm not afraid to say "Yeah, I do, you got a problem with that?".

12. Bountyan

Bountyan Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    This. Hey, I'll tell people I collect TFs if they ask me what my hobbies are or what I'm into. But I don't go everywhere saying or making a point that I love Transformers either.

13. Primal Sabbath

Primal Sabbath Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Everyone at some point was like that, I believe. I think it's an age thing honestly. I started collecting again when I was 16. I was also in a band & things of that sort & I always had random people at my house, so at the time of caring what others think I hid it. Now I just flat out don't care, nor do I hang out with those people anymore. I even watch TF Prime at work when it comes on lol... To me, I think it's just maturity. The older you get, the less you care of what others think.

14. Billzilla

Billzilla Skepticon

News Credits:
    Your boss can choose to advance you or not for any reason other than race or gender (in a lot of places sexual orientation isn't even covered). In a field like law he/she would have a very good case that playing with toys makes you a bad candidate as partner of a law firm for any myriad of reasons. "Suing for discrimination" is not as easy as television would have you think. You can absolutely just be considered "too weird" for a promotion, there isn't a damn thing you can do about it. Most states are "at will" employers where you can even be fired and your boss isn't legally required to provide a reason.

If you work in an environment (law is one, finance is another one) where toy collecting is looked down upon, for goodness sake don't rock the boat. If it's really that important that you be allowed to play with toys at work, call centers are always hiring, but the work sucks and it pays squat. It may not be "right" but that's life.

Even if you have legal grounds, no employer will ever pay you enough to successfully sue them. Many large companies have the legal resources to keep a matter in court until their version of the law prevails.

15. Primal Sabbath

Primal Sabbath Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Yeah... I used to be that way. But where I live transformers & everything related isn't something that someone is shunned about either. I have a Decepticon tattoo & I show it off to all the new people I meet as the "pride & joy" of my body art. And they usually tell me they think it's bad ass, and like I mentioned in my previous post. I have an issue with just letting random people come to my house & now that some of my colection is out in the open, they see it and think it's just as awesome as the tattoo. I kept it from my closest friends for the longest, now I've managed to somehow get 2 of my friends into collecting starting with the DOTM line. So I guess in addition to maturity, there's also where your area of living is to consider to. But hey, with recent films, Transformers or not, our world is slowly becoming a nerd's paradise... And I'm living it up!

16. cobracobra

cobracobra Well-Known Member

Hmm, I am not too worried, all my close friends know, my girlfriend is understanding of it all. But its not my life so it doesn't get too much in the way of me being social.

17. hardreturn

hardreturn Ian Reid

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    i can't imagine hiding something that i enjoy

there's another guy at work who has a small tf collection with some other things and a couple friends i grew up with have superman/thor and batman collections. other people like cars or working out.

everyone's got their thing.

18. TrueNomadSkies

News Credits:
    Yep, and some people even have several hobbies that may or may not have much to do with each other. :) 

19. doctajones428

doctajones428 Well-Known Member

It's not that I'm ashamed of being a collector, I just feel more comfortable to keep it on the down low as they are literally just toys. If anyone tries to bug me about it I just say "It's better than pissing my money away on drugs and booze"

20. CVprowl

CVprowl Done

i am surprised at how few guys do like collecting their old toys like i do.

i know some would love to be able to buy some of their old toys but could NEVER GET AWAY WITH IT because their wives have them whipped. like their wives would get mad for "wasting" the money, or make fun of them for being "immature" or "unmanly" or something.

mostly i see a lot of the macho nonsense getting in the way. but thats common in many different areas of life.

like how stupid is it to freak out (and i know some of you here do so check yourself) when a guy buys kotex or whatever the F*** for his wife/girlfriend/daughter whatever. thats when you REALLY see who needs to GROW UP.