Customs: Cloning Transformers (3d scans)

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by blastoff2334, Jan 9, 2022.

1. blastoff2334

blastoff2334 Just a Guy.

News Credits:
    B75F2EF8-A0ED-4CB3-BD2C-B20660BF5AC6.png Crazy stuff I have been messing around with.
    So this thread is about 3d scanning figures and etc, I haven’t seen many talk about it but i think this is incredible

I have been experimenting with Qclone, and almost have replicated multiple accessories and working on a figure. So the whole idea is u scan a object with a mat that they provide and it replicates it (or tries to) and it will become a 3d file for you to use. I saw this type of tech with cars and I was curious how it would work on figures. This was done in a 11 pro max, and the iPhone 12 has a LiDAR sensor which would make it even more capable of transferring details.
    Above is kingdom blasters weapon, as I want to make a duplicate and add a 3mm port for blast effects, however it needs more details due to my lightning space so I am redesigning my room.
    1E09E6AF-D1D0-48A7-898C-08EAC21C73A3.png
    this is kingdom sideswipes blaster and it works really well same though it needs more detail as it looks warped. This makes me wonder a lot in how this tech could work on whole figures, however it almost can give u a 3d model so if u are missing accessories and can find one, you can easily replicate it if u can’t own it. Anyways just some crazy ideas,

a real 3d scanner would be almost 1:1 and I am about to acquire one eventually as I have had a 3d design craze and really like it

• Like Like x 2
  2. Berser Car

Berser Car Cryptid member

Tumblr:
    That seems to have potential.
    Those models seem a little "melty". Don't know if you can get better results once you have your set up all ready, but even if not, they work good enough as a "sketch" to model over.
    Have you scanned the head of a figure to see what it looks like?

• Like Like x 1
  3. blastoff2334

blastoff2334 Just a Guy.

News Credits:
    thats the problem, the technology isnt there yet on iphone, it will work with something huge and round but something small and defined ;like this is difficult due to the mesh having to many abnormalities and editing it is a pain. if you got a scanner that is separate from the phone its possible! however the cheapest is 600$ and i wanna test that before i buy that type of tech on this

• Like Like x 2
  4. EpsilonEta

EpsilonEta Well-Known Member

I have never 3d scanned something but my guess was that the technology wasn't there at all yet. As in, you can't actually copy the small and complex part needed for transformers or even action figures. Then I saw this video and it pretty much confirms it.

To summarise, you need a professional level machine and some CAD work do get anything close to good. The best bet for anyone looking to copy anything that need correct tolerances would be to use a cheap scanner to make a guide/template and then model the part

• Like Like x 1
  5. blastoff2334

blastoff2334 Just a Guy.

News Credits:
    pretty much u sumed it up. and I would love to get a real machine that can do it but not paying 1000$ for good detail on a small piece.