Clip of the new Voltron animated series...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Mr. Jiggles, Jan 19, 2006.

1. Zero Prime

Zero Prime Windows user no more

I can't wait. Voltron was one of my favorite cartoons as a kid and I'm glad its coming back.

2. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Veteran

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    I hope the finished product is better. The animation itself is fine, but Voltron seemed too blocky. He didn't move enough. While the actual art was nice, the animation lacked energy.
    I'll take the uncut Go Lion too, if it is on offer. Throw in some Dairuger XV as well :) 

3. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    This looks like crap. it was looking good until the lions showed up. they looked better in the original series, animated better, and the combination sequence was better too. the new combination sequence is just STUPID. eyes lighting up, face dropping out of the lion's head before anything else is connected, normal type cat ears on the black lion, the face is completely wrong, and has no similarities to the original. Voltron itself looks lame, and lacks all the awesomeness of the original.

way to rape a classic.

4. Metal Soldier

Metal Soldier The Robot

Looks pretty good so far, imo. Hope the show rocks.

5. Dusty

Dusty Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Yeah normally I'm not one to start spouting off about "bad animation" and all that jazz....but being that I actually just watched some episodes of the old Voltron very recently, you'd be suprised just how well they hold up and this clip is by no means an upgrade. In the original, the animation is actually QUITE excellent and the art itself is just drawn better, unlike Transformers or He-man where people sort of don't remember how bad the animation was. A lot of Transformers was literally just as bad (animation wise) as Armada, even)...but that's fine because most of the cartoons around that time period were pretty cheaply made and the result was bad animation. But the kids still loved them, so it worked out. Kids will probably still like this too, even. But as an adult, you can definitely see stuff like Voltron and Thundercats actually had freakishly good work done to it.....

So needless to say this isn't something that impresses me. I mean its cool that they keep trying with Voltron, but I think its time to let it go if you aren't going to advance the series in any way. You'd think that cartoons made now would look better than the ones in the 80s....but this is just very uninspired.

And Voltron is and always was anime, so I don't know where these comments are coming from.....

6. Gryph

Gryph Action Master

News Credits:
    Totally agree. Also, I would really like to see Voltron get an upgrade. It's a nice design, but it's showing it's age. It really needs something with more detail.

7. Drake

Drake Smooth Is Smooth Baby

As long as its at least better than Voltron The Third Dimension, I'll watch.

8. KnightSaberAmi

KnightSaberAmi Nyan Nyan

I like it but I'm gonna have to wait to pass judegement on it...

9. Jux

Jux Please, call me Steve. Veteran

Meh. Voltron itself leaves me unimpressed. Nice background animation though.

10. Boo

Boo Addicted to candy canes.

Ebay:
    Eh.

It doesn't look terrible, but there are a lot of inconsistencies with color [both of the uniforms and the lions... the black lion just kind of *appeared* to form the torso] to be considered good.

The original was superior. I'd love to get Voltron on DVD, and an uncut Go Lion sound wonderful!

11. Chaos Muffin

Chaos Muffin Misadventure Veteran

Gonna watch it with MP Volty on my tv top with a big smile

12. Mr. Jiggles

Mr. Jiggles loves your mother.

I'd just like to remind everybody that this is still WAY early in the process and this is not a finished product by anymeans. More than likely, they were tweaking what style of animation they were going to use. No sound, now dialogue, no color correction, nothing. Don't judge it too harshly until you see the final product. Chances are that this wasn't even supposed to have been leaked out.

13. TheIncredibleHulk

TheIncredibleHulk Bad Luck Incarnate

Reminds me of the recent comic.

14. Cy-Kill

Cy-Kill Slackers unite...tomorrow

Hey ya'll,

If you go to Kickstart's site (they're the company producing the new Voltron, along with a new Robotech series as well! :D  ), they have the same promo movie.....but with sound. You're not really missing anything without sound, since there's no talking, only some cheesy sound effects and bad techno music. Of course, it is only developmental work, so there's a good chance it'll be totally different.

I really hope that's the case for Voltron himself. I really hate the Black Lion's ears....

http://www.kickstartent.com/voltrondemo.htm

Enjoy!

15. Gryph

Gryph Action Master

News Credits:
    Oh God! They're doing Robotech too? That I can garantee will suck compared to the original. What's the chance of a cartoon on tv having people die nowadays. It'll either be instant parachute syndrome (a parachute comes out of every shotdown plane) or the robot plane syndrome (every plane that gets shot down just happens to be empty). This cant end well.

16. Enigma2K2

Enigma2K2 Robot In Disguise TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    When have we ever taken an anime property and actually IMPROVED it?

17. flamepanther

flamepanther Interested, but not really

This is the same company producing the new Robotech? Aww crap. My hopes for the new Voltron were only moderate to begin with, but now they're pretty much shot. I've seen the trailer and design work for the new RT, and it looks like total crap even if I ignore the fact that it's a sequel to a complete butchery of classic anime.