Clear DMK Optimus Model Kit - Amazon Japan exclusive

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by Thenames9, Oct 13, 2011.

1. Coldiron

Coldiron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I had seen it on ebay for less than $180. So if you shop around you can find a good price. There might be cheaper sources as well.

It came, and is now mostly assembled. I say mostly, because I am still trying to figure out how to connect the door brackets without breaking anything. It is very fragile, and I imagine this clear version is more fragile than the normal just due to its material. It took a while to build as well. It took longer due to having to carefully cut the tree sprues due to the brittle plastic. I did not want stress marks on everything. It mostly snaps togethers but a couple pieces had to have glue to stay on.
    I would say this is a hard kit to build, and that is with no painting. It does not really need any paint, but I bet it could look cooler with some of the under chasis with added detail. I have built MG gundams, and this is harder. Actually MG gundams are not hard at all. The parts are strong, directions are good and thought out. This thing had a lot of tiny fragile parts and it all connects with friction. Many pieces need lots of force to fit. I found a plastic tool for pressing parts so I did not damage anything.
    All in all, it is a cool kit. I got it for around $160 shipped with the DVD. I think if you hunt around you might find it cheaper, but compared to the $250 retail, I think its a good price. I feel like for the price its an awesome value. It was an interesting experience to build and the final piece looks awesome. I think its one of my top prime figures now, and I have about 30 or so Primes.
    As a figure goes, its not. Its just a statue with lots of articulation. This would likely not survive a shelf dive. It has tons of articulation, but most of its pose-ability is gone by the time all the armor is done. I have a new appreciation for the movie design after building this because for the movie version to be able to move, they have to animate a lot of bits to shift to make way for his limbs.
    I think my only real gripe is the hands. The hands suck. All the figners are posable, but its a chore of making the hands in new poses without popping off part of the fingers. They look good, but this is one part I wish they prebuilt and did not come apart.
    I think this is the best Movie prime figure made. If you like the movie design, this figure is a must. Here are some shots of the figure plus a comparison to MP10 and Leader Prime.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]