Cleaning Transformers

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by 3.8TransAM, Sep 25, 2011.

1. 3.8TransAM

3.8TransAM Banned

So I finally got a Fortress Maximus a week ago:drool:  One of the grails so I'm excited.

But like all figures I get not MISB, a thorough cleaning has now ensued.

So I'm watching the Bears and cleaning Fort Max(no indictment of former owner who is a stand up guy intended by any of this, just general yrs of accumulation).

Damn he is huge and I'm not even halfway done at this point. Using lite amounts of water, a toothbrush, paper towels and Q-Tips.

Had to dump the water bowl out once already and getting ready for round two.

After moving into my own house last year and cleaning all my figures then, it is amazing how even toys that look clean still accumulate so much grime, dust and sticker goo from 20-25 yrs worth of ownership.

Just comparing the two tower halves right now its like "Deyaaaaaam!!" lol.

I'm done ranting now and half time is over, so it's back to football and cleaning Transformers.......

I have quite a few new recruits to clean up when I'm done with Max as well, not looking forward to it :D 

2. SydneyY

SydneyY @syd_tfw Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I've never taken much care with cleaning Transformers, but then again I've never bought vintage. When you are done share some pics!

I don't like buying a loose figure and find it covered with dust though, when that happens wiping it off can be pain.

3. CVprowl

CVprowl Done

i try to keep cleaning my stuff regularly to prevent any accumulation og grime. i just use a dry blush make up brush to wipe off the dust and its worked well so far.

i dont buy used vintage transformers so i dont have experience there, but ive restored many dirty vintage gi joe items.

a wipe down with baby oil followed by rubbing alcohol to remove it really livens up the old plastic and i recommend the process. its also a great way to remove sticker residue.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. The_Black_Sheep

The_Black_Sheep Willyna...

News Credits:
    Of all my G1s, My Doublecross was absolutely filthy (serves me right since I ended up buying him off Wheeljack'sLab...). Since I didn't want to use excessive water (as not to damage the sparking gimmick), a damp rag & about 1/2 an hour's work got him cleaned up beautifully. When badly worn 25 year old stickers don't wanna come off, Goo Gone does the job. Sure cleaning G1s can be tedious & time consuming, but the end results are definitely worth it. :thumb 

5. 3.8TransAM

3.8TransAM Banned

Got about 3 hrs into my Fort Max now.

He is about as good as he can get until I grab some Goo Gone to get the remaining sticker residue off.

Still had to dump both 1/2 inch or so filled bowls of water and about 4 Q-Tips along with the paper towels I used.

I'm still amazed at how good some old toys look but what u get when u start cleaning them. I guess Transformers are worse than most due to the panel lining and all the moving parts and associated crevices.

6. Kup-is-Dion

Kup-is-Dion Lord Cthulhu

Dirt in a crevice is the WORST!

7. Orodruin

Orodruin @deathformer TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    That sounds like how I clean, but I use Windex or an equivalent. I got through a ton of q-tips though. I've cleaned a lot of toys over the years, but never thought to try clean my Fort Max, that'd be such a huge project. Of course mine is also quite yellowed so I don't think dusting would help all that much.