Cleaning, Touching-Up G1s

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by Perdere, Mar 8, 2020.

1. Perdere

Perdere Well-Known Member

Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Hello!

I recently laid hands on a few G1 dinobots, most in good condition. Swoop"s unbroken, which is good, but the undersides of his chrome wings have seen better days (mostly wear/flaking).

Can anyone suggest methods of gently cleaning all surfaces on the dinobots, chrome or not?

And, has anyone had luck touching up worn chrome with a Molotow pen?

2. Snaku

Snaku Primes Don't Party

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    For cleaning, I use dish soap and a soft toothbrush if I can get the figure disassembled so that I'm not putting a bunch of metal screws and pins in the water. Otherwise, I would just wipe it down with a soft damp cloth.

Molotow looks pretty great on its own but it doesn't match tf chrome perfectly. I tried it on G1 Megatron and it was a night and day difference - just didn't work at all. I also tried it on a second hand MP Rodimus I got and it worked pretty well there though the difference was still noticable if you really looked.

3. Wheeljack1984

Wheeljack1984 Transformers fan since 1984

Ebay:
    You can get chrome colored spray paint (or a chrome colored paint pen) and attempt a re-chrome of the wings.

I was able to re-chrome the gun and kneecaps on my G1 Mirage with decent results. The only downside of re-chroming parts is that they will NEVER shine like the originals. It will give them a matte finish instead of a high gloss shine.

[​IMG]

4. JackKnife

JackKnife Well-Known Member

You could also try foil tape.