Customs: Classicverse OP arm mod: Who made this?

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by stprime, Aug 18, 2010.

1. stprime

stprime THE コンボイ that the Matrix refused

News Credits:
    Anyone think they could 3D print these pieces in the middle of the pic?

1222582655523.jpg

can anyone tell me who made this piece or anything about it? it looks like a way to give it a extra fold and minimalize the ugliness of the kibble.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2020
  2. D-Unit

D-Unit #1 Heel

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I would like some info as well if anyone knows anything. Those forearms are the only bad point about that figure

3. Kouri

Kouri kupo

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    Looks like just a replacement hinge to allow a bit of double-jointing, but probably something that could be accomplished by shaving the existing joint. I'm honestly having a bit of trouble figuring out exactly what I'm looking at though~

As for an alternative method to dealing with the arm kibble, it's possible to modify the cab bits to fit onto his back in a sort of Powermaster Prime fashion. Mostly shaving plastic and gluing. The wind wave can still sit inside to make it a solid backpack. Sadly I don't have a shot of that.

A nifty side-effect is that you gain the option to use the holes originally meant to pin the kibble in place as extra weapon mounts. The wind vane makes a great shield.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. shinobi77

shinobi77 Fatbastard

Ebay:

how does it transform after that? Do the parts stay there, or is it a parts former? And how does the alt mode look? I demand more pics!!!
    :useless  :poop 

5. Kouri

Kouri kupo

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    Ahh, just got home and fiddled a bit with my Prime. All that's done is that the panel hinge is replaced with a smaller piece that allows the kibble to collapse more closely to the arm. Without rotation, the windows point toward the elbow and the headlights point up, wrapping around the wrist. In theory, it ought to make the panels look more like a part of the arm and less like an afterthought, but in essence it's still kibble on the arm.

I've got enough extras of this mold that I suppose I can try duplicating the piece, but it seems simple enough for anyone to do. That picture, up top in the middle - see the red and white pieces with holes? The red piece is the original hinge for the door kibble. The white piece is the new hinge, and the only thing "new" to the mod. Replicate the piece and pop it in the hinges, and you're done.

No extra part-forming. The cab panels get glued to the bumper portion. Transformation remains mostly the same, except the cab portions rotate into place when the bumper does. You'll need to shave some plastic to take care of some clearance issues the cab panels would have in that rotation. As for ore pic... all I can find are shots of customized weapon configurations. I'll look on my backup drive for any more bot mode shots better showing off the rear.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2010
  6. Tom_Servo

Tom_Servo Well-read chick magnet

Ebay:
    I did something very similar to my Magnue to what Kori did, but I gave the flaps hinges so they can flip out like wings. It's not exactly G1, but I think it looks cool. It helps make up for Magnus not having his huge arm piston things too.

7. adypax

adypax Did you forget who I am?

tom..u got a link to that??

8. amd098

amd098 En taro Artanis!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    hmm the issue with the mods is that it would probably not let the city/shadow/powered commander arm parts to fit on

9. Kouri

Kouri kupo

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    See, I've been wondering the same thing. The kibble has to be positioned in the stock position to fit into the arm groove, so I don't know how the OP's suggested mod would get along. Either the positioning'll prevent the arms from working at all, or the new hinge might be just small enough to allow things to still work. Think I'll get to answering that question this weekend.

Funny enough, while I don't have that modded Magnus around anymore to test the idea, judging by the lack of back armor on X-Commander and the range of motion the bumper gives to the rear-mounted cab panels, I can almost guarantee a Prime modified to toss the cab panels in back would still work with the Commander sets - but you'll end up with huge gaps in the sides of the arms. I think it should be easy enough to to add some sheet plastic to fill that gap and cover with paint, but I'm not 100% sure if that'll affect Commander's transformation back to trailer. I'll look into finding a solid answer when I get home today.

10. Kouri

Kouri kupo

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    Welll, to settle the big question for me: Commander compatibility! And to help us out, my random Leftovers Prime.

Doesn't fit. You'd have to basically hack away at the green section to allow the panel to fit. Not sure how you guys feel about chopping into one of your armor sets.

[​IMG]

As for everything else - this mod definitely does compact the door panel closer to the arm. However, you pay a hefty price. Aside from the Commander mishap, the panel now gets in the way of Prime's fist, so you'd have to move it away to allow him to grab any weapons. I'm sure that'd be a small price to pay for some, but I personally don't appreciate a mod that inhibits functionality, even if it does indeed make the figure look better.

So I'll be sticking with my back mod. For any of you interested, I'll see about whipping up a How-To and testing it's Commander compatibility.

Attached Files:

11. Insane Galvatron

Insane Galvatron is not insane. Really!

News Credits:
    Looking at the pic the OP posted, it doesn't seem to obstruct the fist hole as much as yours. Wonder why? Also, they show the arm flipped the other way so the kibble is on the inside. That seems to help a little.

12. Kouri

Kouri kupo

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    Part of it is the floppiness in this KO Prime that makes that piece droop a -little- bit, but most of the difference is in the angle of the shot.

As for the arm being flipped the other way, I think it was just to show off the back of the arm. The kibble restricts articulation way too much in that position, and the OP's picture has the kibble back on the outside in the bottom two shots.

13. Medri Fogmatio

Medri Fogmatio Autobot

I really would like to do this for my Transformer (the OP post... I really like what has been done.

14. Superquad7

Superquad7 OCP Police Crime Prevention Unit 001 Super Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    This thread needs to be in Creative General Discussion, so here we are!

15. Kouri

Kouri kupo

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    Said I'd test a Commander set with the back-kibble mod, and things're looking~ functional, at least. Snapped some quick, dimly-lit shots before running out of the house this morning.

The back kibble, when rotated all the way down (front wheels folded all the way in, as per stock transformation), evades any clearance issues this mod might've had with the shoulder armor.

You -do- end up with a gaping hole on the side of the gauntlets. If you're willing to modify a Commander set, some styrene can be used to cover up the gap without affecting transformation. If not, the gap does have at least one advantage...

[​IMG]

The forearm panels that allow a modded Prime to mount weapons on his arm like the WFC version show through the Commander arm gap. Thus, weapons are still mountable while armored. More of a random easter egg leftover than any real purposeful feature, but just something worth noting.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I've a few extra C-Prime molds I plan on modifying, so I'll see about getting a tutorial up over the weekend for anyone interested.

Attached Files:

• Arm.jpg
      Arm.jpg
      File size:
      83.8 KB
      Views:
    • body.jpg
      body.jpg
      File size:
      155.8 KB
      Views:
    • gun.jpg
      gun.jpg
      File size:
      107.9 KB
      Views:
  16. NeoZeRo35

NeoZeRo35 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Sorry to bump an old topic, but does anyone know anything about the original post, like maybe where I may be able to get something like it? I really like those hinges and I can't see myself modifying the originals.

• Like Like x 1