Classics Ultra Magnus? Let the repaints begin Anew!

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by TriBlurr, Aug 29, 2006.

1. JD

JD Well-Known Member

Screw Magnus, I want a Nemesis Prime repaint! Rabble rabble!

2. Foster

Foster Haslab Victory Saber Backer #3 Veteran

News Credits:
    I can see Blitzwing having a very awkward moment in the hallway of the Decepticon base, passing the blue one and saying, "Hey there, Rumm....Fren... umm... Dude!"

3. smkspy

smkspy Remember true fans

I could say I'm shocked, but I'm really not. I'm so sick of these straight repaints.

4. Brave Magnus

Brave Magnus Drawings from Argentina! :D

News Credits:
    Another repaint. It sucks.

5. Samana Rombuca

Samana Rombuca Well-Known Member

I don't mind Magnus not having armor. I've staunchly supported and welcomed MP, Universe and G2 Magnus into my collection. With that said the G2 Magnus got it almost right. It had the white cab, but because of the faux cab robot chest they could give the body a more G1 armor look. Barring an exclusivity, I would have really wished for a new head. Right now I would have settled for the head to be painted in armor-head colors, but that didn't really happen and I guess the result is a compromise.

The point of what I said is that they can do a Magnus without armor, but make him LOOK like he has armor at least. A new head, with the right colors, would top it off. But if the repaint we're talking about happens, I don't see that happening this time around. Always customs! :D 

6. Dragonclaw

Dragonclaw Comic Ink - Dublin, CA

News Credits:
    I'm not at all surprised by the repaint (which I actually like :)  ) or the fact we're seeing it so soon...I'm actually surprised we haven't seen a lot MORE of the later waves since Hasbro is going to need pieces we haven't yet seen for their Botcon cases....especially since they showed all of classics wave 1 at SDCC :) 

7. Mixmaster

Mixmaster Lavender - the most evil of colours...

News Credits:
    Taken in isolation, this Magnus doesn't look like it would be a bad figure, but there is this whole "white Prime = Magnus" history here. I think this is another missed opportunity to give a reincarnation of the G1 Ultra Magnus toy a unique mould.

However Hasbro will want to maximise the profit from each toy mould, so repaints in the Classics line are inevitable. Also some of the moulds like Grimlock's and Jetfire's really don't lend themselves to being repainted into some other G1 character. So, as historically Magnus was a white repaint of Prime, it makes sense that this an obvious choice for a repaint for Hasbro, though not as easy as the seekers or the Datsuns.

8. artiepants

artiepants Transformers '84!!!

News Credits:
    yeah, i really wonder what, if anything, they'll do with those too.

I'd take a pallate reversal on Jefire as Fireflight :D  (just cuz i think it'd look [email protected]$$ all red ~ Max Sterling had the Red Veritech, right?)

9. Somebody

Somebody ReBoot

News Credits:
    Wouldn't it make more sense for the trailer to be Magnus in that sense, combining over Prime?

10. Robogeek28

Robogeek28 Proud grandpa

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I'd be happy with both myself!

11. Laser_Optimus

Laser_Optimus I can do this all day! TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Google+:
    Nah, that was his wife Miria. She piloted a red VF1-J type. Max's was blue.

I guess a homage of that nature with the colors reversed would work. It'd be both a G1 homage and a nod to where the original G1 toy came from. Although I think I'd go with Silverbolt over Fireflight, but that's just me personally. Especially since Silverbolt is a squadron commander and all.

12. artiepants

artiepants Transformers '84!!!

News Credits:
    silverbolt would be good too, (seems like they oughta be pulling that name out again for trademark/copyright reasons soon) just seems like his deco scheme is pretty similar to Jetfire, unless they went freaky with the chrome ~ i was also inspired to Fireflight because Cyb Jetfire is gettign his HoC figure redeco'd as Fireflight.

and i almost say Miria, but 2nd guessed myself. :p 

13. Deathx360

Deathx360 Farewell Dear Friend

News Credits:
    I don't see this as another Rumble/Frenzy debate. Both where the same figure but the only difference is the color. G1 Magnus was a repaint of Prime with all the accessories for robot mode but with a different gun and trailer to give him armor. While the basic robot form of Prime and Magnus are the same Magnus was never really promoted in that form until the Dreamwave comic where he lost his armor. Even the box art for the original Magnus is of his armored form. I think one of the problems that many have with this repaint is not only that Magnus is at least a Prime repaint and at most slightly remolded but that he has only had on none repainted mold, RID Magnus. Ultra Magnus seems to be treated as nothing more than a name to be put on any mold that has any resemblance to the G1 mold. As important and popular as G1 Magnus is he should have his own mold for once, not counting RID Magnus.

14. Samana Rombuca

Samana Rombuca Well-Known Member

In regards to the first one, you'd be surprised. As for the second, I really wish they released a Classic "Datsun"-type car. They could make a killing with the Smokescreen, Silver(blue)Streak and Prowl combo. The seekers are a nobrainer, too. Wouldn't mind a Diaclone Bluestreak actually.

But getting back on hand. Repaints are fine, but you gotta use them right. Silverbolt, Fireflight are as good as any.

15. Angelus Prime

Angelus Prime Active Member

Ah, repaints.

16. airfox

airfox TF: Cybertronian Wars!

News Credits:
    My first thought on this? Laaaame.

Second? Could be good if it has an anime accurate remolded head. Gonna happen? Probably not.

Of course, extra armor would be the best or even an original Ultra Magnus mold a-la Titanium Rodimus Prime.

-airfox

17. Galaxy Convoy

Galaxy Convoy Well-Known Member

If this Magnus repaint didn't exist, yeah I suppose. But the idea is that it'd be a God Bomber/Overload type of figure that could form the armor for Prime or Magnus. But most everyone would use it for Magnus, and thus a psudeo Ultra Magnus. Hasbro won't release a stand alone trailer unless it's an entity unto itself, like God Bomber and Overload were.

18. Laser_Optimus

Laser_Optimus I can do this all day! TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Google+:
    Yeah, I was thinking the same thing, but I'm not sure how they'd do it in Classics. I guess they could call it Apex Bomber or something since they've used the name before. It's an interesting idea in the sense of not only could it give you a psudeo Ultra Magnus, as you say, but it could also give you a PM Prime kind of thing. I'm sure it'd look different than both of their previous forms though, but it'd still be nice to see. Doubt it'd happen though.

19. Automorpher

Automorpher Autobot Slut!

News Credits:
    It's time to hit the pillows, boys! We can see Magnus trailer together with Alice in Wonderland! (Probably the ONLY place whereby you can get this!) :lol 

20. Fort Max

Fort Max Too many is never enough. Veteran

News Credits:
    Repaints are all well and good but not when it's the same bloody scheme every time.

Macross "inspired" repaints of Jetfire would be very well appreciated. :D