Classics Ultra Magnus? Let the repaints begin Anew!

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by TriBlurr, Aug 29, 2006.

1. Hiro Prime

Hiro Prime Cybertronian Guru Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I have to say I like this figure. I like the repaint of it as well. In fact, I like repaints as a means of intoducing more characters to a line. It's better when there is a minor retool or two but so long as it's a new character, it's all good to me. Now when it's a power up ala RID Super Brothers or most of A/E's Powerlinx/Energon crap, that's when I feel like I'm getting ripped off.

2. Random Autobot

Random Autobot Soviet Kanukistani

The reason so many people get pissed about this Prime to Magnus repaint is that it's so nonsensical. Not once in the show did Ultra magnus look like Prime. In the show even his cab was different. He was never seen outside of his armour in robot mode, and he had an entirely different freakin' head.

Skywarp and Thundercracker as repaints of Starscream make sense because they were the exact same design on the show, except for the colour schemes. They were also their own separate characters with different personalities, which made the repaint more palatable as well. This repaint makes no sense, and the argument that the toy was a Prime cab painted white doesn't cut it, as THAT prime repaint came with a trailer that converted to an outerbody. THAT is what made the Character Ultra Magnus. Not white paint.

Seriously, another Prime as Magnus repaint... I just can't deal with that right now.

3. butz

butz slippery when wet

This is making me way to antsy, wondering if it means theres more Classics, or it means Soundwave got bumped, or if its just a fake. More Classics would make pee myself.

4. MWG

MWG Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I like the colors, but Magnus needs a trailer. He needs the carrier capability, able to carry (at minimum) three deluxe car figures. And given how Classics already has three car figures shown, a carrier Magnus would be a perfect fit. Now I can understand they might have some problems getting that to work for a $20 pricepoint (especially if they keep the g1 design of robot + armored robot), and I would be able to accept something like RID Magnus for $20 or $30 (g1 Magnus is preferred, RID Magnus is acceptable).

And I think Motormaster or Nemesis Prime would be better for a straight Prime repaint. The Decepticons seem to be falling behind in planned figures, not to mention new molds.

+-MWG-+

5. Foster

Foster Haslab Victory Saber Backer #3 Veteran

News Credits:
    Aaaaaand Random Autobot wins the thread. Thank you all for playing.

6. bithomas

bithomas Seeker of Seekers

I'm actually fairly happy to see this repaint. I had no intentions of buying the mold as Optimus Prime since I already have too many Prime figures that I enjoy. But, I do like the mold, and I could definitely be talked into buying the mold as Magnus.

Ben

7. Galaxy Convoy

Galaxy Convoy Well-Known Member

Agreed. If has to be repaints to extend the Classics line, then I'm all for it. But I like this Magnus anyway too. It's not completely white, so it is a little different than usual.

8. Greyryder

Greyryder Kitbashed

From what little of season three I've watched (the less the better) his cab was similar. Then, there's the little matter of the toys coming first. Like I said, this another Rumble is red debate.

9. angeltread

angeltread TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    i don't care for an OP to UM repaint anymore than the next guy. but i'm a little apprehensive about bitching about it or even leaving it on the shelf in the case of this line. primarily because we're trying to get hasbro to keep this line going, no? the second we start complaining or a classics toy starts warming the shelf is the second hasbro has a convenient reason to end the line. or maybe i'm paranoid. regardless, i think we have to err on the side of supporting and buying them if we want them to continue; even repaints.

10. Random Autobot

Random Autobot Soviet Kanukistani

Not really. At least with Rumble and Frenzy you had two different coloured toys. You could call them what you want. Magnus' cab at least in the movie had a few differences from Primes. But the main thing was the armour and helmet that gave him a completely different look. We want that again, not more repaints of the Prime from that particular line.

11. onesock

onesock Banned

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I'm actually leaning toward this being a fan-made custom. Why would we see a wave three character before almost all of Wave 2? (I.E. Cliffjumper, Ramjet?)

12. KidDynamite

KidDynamite Do good recklessly Veteran

Twitter:
    I'm fine with this. Extending this line with repaints is perfectly okay in my book, and the toy looks good in blue and white.

However, if this is replacing the fourth Voyager rather than an extension of the line, there will be hell to pay.

13. MWG

MWG Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    And I actually would buy this just to support the Classics line. Hasbro is pretty good about giving us little extras like minor remolding (so a new head definitely could happen) and they might decide to release trailers for Magnus & Prime separate later on (or just repackage them with trailers).

But a straight repaint of Prime into Magnus isn't as intuitive as making Prime into N. Prime (who's reasonably popular due to his RID and Armada versions, and I will not call the RID figure "Scourge", and evil clones are acceptable), or Starscream into Skywarp and Thundercracker.

+-MWG-+

14. Beastbot X

Beastbot X Old skool. In a lot of ways.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    That's what makes me think this is just a good custom as to opposed to a real figure... the blue is the EXACT same shade as Prime, it looks like...

Still, if it is real, I'll pick it up, I've always thought repainted Prime into Magnus looked cool. I hope it has a new head, though.

15. Sidecutter

Sidecutter Evil Former Dealer Scum TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I correct myself. The SKU I was thinking of was actually announced related to the Movie. So yeah, this is, pretty much definately, a pure repaint.

16. Jaguaratron

Jaguaratron Well-Known Member

sweet

17. artiepants

artiepants Transformers '84!!!

News Credits:
    ah, sweet ~ i'm actually glad that was cleared up, i was wonderign how i missed that....

18. Sidecutter

Sidecutter Evil Former Dealer Scum TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Yeah, I'm checking up for new info constantly. The downside is, I do get a wire crossed now and again when recalling it because there's just so much going on sometimes.

19. Insane Galvatron

Insane Galvatron is not insane. Really!

News Credits:
    I like it. :D 

G1 Magnus was a Prime repaint, like it or not. The only difference was the trailers. Since neither has a trailer in classics, it's moot. Bring it on, I'll kitbash a trailer for it.

• Like Like x 1
  20. NeilJam

NeilJam Resident Audiophile

News Credits:

Although I also tire of Magnus being straight white repaints of Prime, I would buy that (hopefully he would at least get a new head). I just say this because MP Prime is my Alt leader, and I have plans for an Alt Prime kitbash to a different character.