Minor/Repaint: Classics RID Speedbreaker (Sideburn)

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by Massdestruction, Jul 12, 2014.

1. Massdestruction

Massdestruction Instrument of Destruction

This is my Classics R.I.D. Speedbreaker (Sideburn).

I used Transformers Prime Beast Hunters Smokescreen because of the vehicle’s resemblance to the original Sideburn and for the roof parts attached to his arm in robot mode. I also used the Prime mold so that he will look good together with the other Robots in Disguise car brothers: Super Mach Alert/Super Prowl, which I kitbashed using Prime Wheeljack and Super Wildride/ Super X-Brawn, which I will be kitbashing using Prime Beast Hunters Bulkhead.

The head is molded using Dark of the Moon Nitro Bumblebee for his helmet and Hunt for the Decepticons Tomahawk for his face. I used a piece of clear cut plastic for his single eye visor and used food coloring to stain it yellow. I also created a clear plastic back windw and used food coloring to stain both it and the rest of his windows and windshield yellow. His chest cavity had to be extensively trimmed to accommodate the new head. The flip-up chest panel was substantially modified with the centerpiece being the engine molded fom Prime Beast Hunters Ratchet. His knee/shin panels were trimmed to change their look and the back of the legs also required trimming to prevent paint damage to/from the shin panels during transformation. His shulder pads were trimmed to give him more of the thin bumper on the shoulder like on the original mold. The spoiler was removed to made his car mode better fit with the original and was used as the spoiler on my Super Mach Alert/Super Prowl. His gun was molded using Prime Beast Hunters Predacons Rising legends Smokescreen’s gun.

The most major modifications were made to his car roof and hood. The roof half attached to his right arm was removed and the resulting hole in the arm was filled with epoxy putty and sculpted. The roof halves were then glued together to give him the entire roof attached to his left arm as a shield like on the original figure. Epoxy putty was used to fill the seams on the roof and make it appear as one piece. The major dilemma created by combining the roof halves in robot mode was that the hood halves fold up at an angle on this mold causing the hood halves to overlap significantly when folded up. To rectify this, I had to cut the hood into several pieces, essentially removing the parts of the hood that overlapped. This required me to connect the center pieces of the hood, now seamlessly glued together, to the pin used to lower his head during transformation. This proved to be quite difficult. This hood piece does hinder the doors from attaching high on his back like on the original Smokescreen mold, but the doors do move high enough to mimic the look from Sideburn’s original mold. And finally I molded a second engine for his hood.

I used Testors enamels to paint him. Colors used were a custom blue, flat white, flat sky blue and a custom silvery blue. Accents are in flat gray, flat black, flat red, silver, gold and yellow. I then used Krylon Matte Finish spray to flatten the colors and protect the paint.

(Kitbasher’s note: this mold uses pins everywhere and there are very few screws. This caused huge problems when removing the feet for painting. The pins were impossible to remove even with a soldering iron and the plastic rods that the feet rotate on snapped off. A lot of work and a plastic lollipop stick later it was repaired. I do not recommend attempting to remove the foot pins unless you are an expert.)

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 3
  2. MECHADOOM

MECHADOOM I'm Doombot and I know it

This is amazing work! Outstanding job!

Is there any way we could get size comparison shots with other bots?

3. Massdestruction

Here he is with my other RID bashes.

Attached Files:

4. warhawk

warhawk Well-Known Member

Instagram:
    Those work so well. Can't wait to see X-Brawn

5. stevil33

stevil33 Army of Wastemen

Instagram:
    Flickr:
    Love your idea of updating the RID bros, nicely done!!
    That alt mode......:cool: 

6. OMEGAPRIME1983

OMEGAPRIME1983 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Clever!!

7. Primon4723

Primon4723 Autobot

So cool! :D 

8. thunder117

thunder117 Magna Defender

Ebay:
    I can already see you doing X-Brawn from Ratchet.

Keep it up :thumb s

9. Massdestruction

I will be using Beast Hunters Bulkhead for the X-Brawn. The Ratchet mold is good, but the Bulkhead mold has the pushed-out backpack and I'm also working on a way of attaching the vehicle hood onto his left arm like the original. Also since I will be making him in Super mode, the Bulkhead vehicle looks more like a rally car.

The only reasons I didn't make Speedbreaker in Super mode are that I always liked him better in the blue and also, I will eventually be using the Smokescreen mold for a Targetmaster Pointblank and I didn't want to have 2 red cars with flames on them from the same mold.

10. autobot prowl

autobot prowl Well-Known Member

This is beyond awesome!!!

11. thunder117

thunder117 Magna Defender

Ebay:
    X-Brawn wasn't a short fatty lol

12. Powerglide1991

Powerglide1991 Autobot

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    That is amazing! :jawdropper: 

Awesome job, hasbro should take note xD

13. Powerglide1991

Powerglide1991 Autobot

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Will be interesting to see how you get Beast Hunters Bulkhead to be X-brawn. How will you get the entire hood on the arm? xD

14. f-primusunicron

f-primusunicron i just wanna be loved

News Credits:
    Perfect

15. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    Duuude that's a great fit.

16. spencer1984

spencer1984 Well-Known Member

That's a great idea, nice work!

17. kalron

kalron Technician/Sculptor

News Credits:
    Wow, that is pretty sweet! Love seeing lines other than G1 getting a Classics treatment. Great works as always duder.

18. Massdestruction

Thanks everybody.

For the most part, I am very pleased with how he turned out. The parts I am most happy with are the head and the detail work.

After the lukewarm reception the head and face for my Mach Alert got, it felt great when Speedbreaker's head and face turned out so well.

I tried a different technique while painting him. I've realized that the room I do my customs in is woefully underlit, so believe it or not, I held a LED flashlight in my mouth while painting him. It allowed me t see the mold details clearly and paint finer lines and details. I will need to see if I can find a head light as holding the flashlight with my mouth was somewhat painful.

But to be honest, if I had to choose something I disliked about this bash... it would be the flames. I was planning t try and make them on the computer and glue the paper flames on the hood and sides, but the curves of the hood made that impossible. So to my disappointment, I had to hand paint the flames.

19. Jetbolt

Jetbolt Maximal Air Commander

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube (Handle):
    Awesome!!

20. f-primusunicron

f-primusunicron i just wanna be loved

News Credits:
    the match alert face isnt actually bad, is the helmet, it looks weird, but it was an excelent mold choice and job all around
    and sideburn is as well an awesome work, though his helmet doesnt look weird so it adds to the appeal of the figure