Classics/Henkei - The Definitive List (of NEW molds with 'Classics' styling)

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by TheBigMachine, May 6, 2010.

1. exomega255

exomega255 Emerald Green

News Credits:
    I don't agree with Grandum much, but I see his point on this thread; I mean, there isn't such a thing as definitive preference. I appreciate your effort on it, though. I myself would only be using this to check what molds I missed release on.

2. TheBigMachine

TheBigMachine Initiating JAZZ HANDS!

News Credits:
    Done and done. Any thoughts on moving the Kabaya stuff to 'Honorable Mentions'?

Hey, really that's the point of this thread is to help other fans find what molds are coming up and which ones they might be missing.

[The following isn't necessarily directed at you, it's just to address everyone in general:] I just don't see the point in dwelling on the description instead of looking at the purpose of a thread. If a couple of figures conflict with a fans perspective either kindly overlook them and utilize the rest of the list, or make a well reasoned argument for why a particular mold should or should not be included (adding documentation always helps).

3. omegafix

omegafix Mechanically Insane

News Credits:
    if you wanna be nitpicky theres 3 versions of

Legends
    Optimus Prime - total versions: 2
    -Optimus Prime - (RTS)
    -Optimus Prime - (Takara - TF United)

series 1 of takaras EZ has a G1 autobot symbol and series 2 has a G2 symbol im not sure if paint aps are different though

4. TheBigMachine

News Credits:
    Dang, you know your legends figures. I'd love to get the Takara ones (I'm looking at you TC and SW), but they're a bit more than I want to pay just to be a completionist. Updated the list BTW.

5. TheBigMachine

News Credits:
    Updated the list from Botcon 2012 and the forthcoming stuff from the Official Transformers Collectors Club. Also, added the Generations "Asia exclusive" figures along with the latest announcement of the Walmart exclusives. I'm sure I've messed up some of the latest Legends stuff, so if someone who is an expert on the class can check it over that'd be great.

If anyone has any suggestions for post #4 "Honorable Mentions" & post #5 "3rd Party Accessories" let's hear 'em! I've been slacking heavily on keeping those up-to-date. The 3rd Party stuff comes out to fast for me to keep up with...

6. Dansproject

Dansproject Drifticon

Please forgive me if he's not already been mentioned, but what about Universe Swerve, the Chwvy Aveo version?

7. TheBigMachine

News Credits:
    I believe he's been debated and falls outside of the 'Classic-verse' kind of like Tomahawk and Terradive do. That said, I did include Botcon Spinister and United Vortex (from the Tomahawk mold) and Depthcharge (from the Terradive mold). I'm still not entirely sure if everyone feels they should be included even with the new heads and packaging. I put them all on my Classics shelf (including Chevy Aveo Swerve), but again, I'm open to debate if they belong on this list...

8. seali_me

seali_me RIP January 2018

Fugly botcon stuff soiled your list man. Plus you added SG stuff? Damn. That's just wrong.

Other than that I like the list. I love how you don't add 3rd party stuff. Awesome! I agree.

9. WhiteMocha

WhiteMocha Well-Known Member

They are... the G2 Legends Prime has black instead of blue.

There is also the metallic version of this coming up.

10. Abrogate

Abrogate Nondescript Former Poster

News Credits:
    Vortex was DOTM, not United. I dont have an opinion on whether or not he belongs with Classics, but if you're basing your decision on "he was a United toy," then it's worth pointing out that he wasn't

11. TheBigMachine

News Credits:
    Oh yeah, that's right. So does everyone feel that Spinister and Vortex don't belong on the list? I'll scratch them if so. I didn't know if Spinister being at Botcon gave the mold in credence to being on the list or not. Same thing with Depthcharge (OTCC repaint of Terradive).

Like I said before, I'll be keeping them on my 'Classics' shelf, but if everyone their inclusion/exclusion sours the list then throw in your two cents...

12. Grandum

Grandum Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I allready disagree with your list as I've told you before, but one thing that strikes me when reading the new list is that there is no consistency in the list. You have some shattered glass in the list, but not all.

Another thing - sky shadow and junkheap aren't upcomming any more, and the third party list could do with some new additions.

Other than that I only have the same objections as before.

13. TheBigMachine

News Credits:
    Deleted the 'Upcoming' stuff. I forget about that post. I'll work on it later. As for "consistency", I have stuck to what was spelled out at the top of post #1 from the beginning. That explains why some of the SG figures are not included. That's all I'll say about it.

14. WhiteMocha

WhiteMocha Well-Known Member

The hybrid-style molds will always cause disagreement, but personally I feel that Spinister and Vortex DO belong on the list (even though I personally keep Vortex on my Movie shelf). Here's the argument for it, the way I see it:

-Tomahawk, the base mold, is about 80% Classics. The head, chest, and hand sculpts are solidly G1-style. The arms and the legs down to the ankles could pass as G1 even if they are tapered and not boxy. The only arguably "non-Classics" design element is the feet. But even those are sketchy, as there are plenty of G1 and Classics characters (G1 Whirl, Cl. Lugnut, Cl. Wreck-Gar) that have unconventional, non-boxy feet. So that means.....

-the thing that pushes Vortex more into the "Movie" aesthetic is the head, and the fact that he was released as part of Takara's Movie line. But let's take the "released in a certain line" thing out of the mix, because a) there have been plenty of cases of non-aesthetically-matching figures released as Movie line filler before (the Walmart and TRU exclusives from 2007, the Cybertron scouts, etc.) and b) Botcon designating Spinister as part of the Classicsverse kind of cancels that out.

-even the head isn't full-on Movie-style... it's essentially a more rounded, more organic, more detailed take on a fairly traditional G1-esque visor-and-faceplate design. So let's say the head is, maybe, 60% Movie style.

-adding that head to that body diminishes the Classics aesthetics slightly, so he is maybe a degree more Movie-ish than Tomahawk, but in my opinion that still lands him more on the Classics end of the spectrum.

Mind you, this is all just my opinion, and obviously it is very subjective.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2012
  15. DestronGenerals

DestronGenerals Well-Known Member

Looks like the Japanese Autobot Alliance Seaspray is missing off the list.

16. Abrogate

Abrogate Nondescript Former Poster

News Credits:
    to be honest I don't think the Vortex head is Moviestyle at all. I would consider it like 80% Classics. I consider Spinister to be completely Classics and think he definitely belongs on the list. Vortex I think is more of a personal call, as he doesn't really look like G1 Vortex, but he's also pretty shoehorned as a movie figure

17. TheBigMachine

News Credits:
    Added!

Also, added the Dollar General, Legends Class figures (Bumblebee, Starscream, Optimus Prime). I left off Megatron because he was evidently unaltered. Bumblebee is a repaint (w/o the Autobot logo on his chest) and from what I can surmise is that Startscream and Optimus Prime are repackaged Takara EZ collection. Again, anybody who's an expert on Legends figs, please check it over (looking at you White Mocha).

18. Nevermore

Nevermore It's self-perpetuating a parahumanoidarianised!

News Credits:
    I did my own list.
    Link

19. Billzilla

Billzilla Skepticon

News Credits:
    Minor correction, I believe the IG-TFC005 Sharkticons are upcoming igear products, not TFCToys.

20. maku098

maku098 indeed a wise choice

News Credits:
    I don't see Botcon Banzaitron and Powerdive(redeco of HFTD Highbrow) there.