Minor/Repaint: Classics/Henkei Bluestreak

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by Phr0g, Oct 21, 2012.

1. Phr0g

Phr0g Politicon

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    This is one of my ongoing projects; Classics/Henkei Bluestreak.
    He is still a work in progress as I am currently trying to decide whether I am going to mod the shoulders and/or the turtle neck assembly =P

[​IMG]

Just some light paint touches here and there to make him less boring, the main things here are the articulated hands and the ball joint in the head. For me adding these features really improves the figure and gives it so much more expressiveness and personality.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The awesome gun is made by Maiden Japan =)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The hands are from hobby base (square 1/144) and I must say that I am very pleased with them. My plan is too give them to most of my classics =P

Comments and criticism are most welcome =)

2. Alloy Alchemist

Alloy Alchemist Decepticon sympathizer

Looks great and those hands are a "must have"

3. TigerBlade

TigerBlade Prepare for extermination

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Now they are the hands I was just about to look for. Look absolutely perfect man and you've just set me back a shitload in the amount of sets I'm gonna have to buy!!

4. Bountyan

Bountyan Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Man those hands are cool.

5. Master Blaster

Master Blaster Banned

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YES

6. AutobotBee

AutobotBee Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Wow yeah, this is an incredible improvement! #sojealous

7. cheetor71

cheetor71 Autobot

Could you post a link to the hands?

8. Phr0g

Phr0g Politicon

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    Thanks!

Glad you like it =)

Hehe glad I could help =P

Regarding the hands; they are indeed great! They are very easy to assemble and come in a few variations and sizes. The ones I used here are the 1/144 scale, gray, square version. There is also a darker grey variant and one were the hand has a more rounded/human feel to them. Personally I prefer the more robotic square variant though it might be worth mentioning that these can look a little claw-ish from some angles.
    I ordered mine from HLJ.

1/144 Mechanical Hand 144 Square G Gray by Hobby Base | HobbyLink Japan

9. ZedzDead

ZedzDead decepticon sabatour

Ebay:
    very nice. i'll have to get me some and soon.

just a thought, you could try the chest mod like i did on this one. its super easy and alt mode doesn't suffer. all i did was cut with a dremel and glue the front fenders on. looks much better to me than the standard, chest. i don't know what they were thinking on that idea. plus the turtleneck like you said. now you got me wanting to put new hands on all my deluxes. thanks gr8 job. Z

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. Phr0g

Phr0g Politicon

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    Yeah I have been thinking of doing that mod but I am not sure that I like it? I do think that it looks good in some aspects, the hood looks more complete with it but I also thinks that it makes the chest a bit too wide. I'm also concerned that it will hinder the poseability of the arms?

Still I am tempted to give it try =)

11. SonOfNemesis

SonOfNemesis Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    I own Zedzdead's modded Silverstreak and I love it. I wouldn't have that mold in any of its characters any other way now, it's so much better looking in person man and Zed did a clean pro job.

12. Phr0g

Phr0g Politicon

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    Yeah I did some preliminary measuring and test fitting with the doors last night and I think I might actually go through with the mod. I still think it feels a little scary cutting into the fenders though, need to be very carefull.
    Hopefully I can get a cut as nice as the one Zedzdead did ;) 

13. cheetor71

cheetor71 Autobot

I would use an X-acto saw to make the cuts. It will leave less of a gap in the fender.

14. Master Blaster

Master Blaster Banned

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Now that I've calmed down, I must say that those hands are truly fantastic. Will definitely be fitting my entire MTMTE and S2 cast with them! I did mean to ask, how did you mount them to the wrist cuffs? Have you just chopped the disc off the originals and fitted it where the end-ball joint of the hands used to be?
    Are the thumbs articulated?

15. Phr0g

Phr0g Politicon

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    The thumbs are indeed articulated, they are on a small ball joint and then the finger itself has two separate joints.

To attach the hands I thought first of using the disc from the old hand as you said but since I didn’t want to ruin them in case I didn’t like the new hands I decided to go a different route.

What I ended up doing is I used one of the spare armor covers from the Hobby base hands spruce as a wedge to hold the ball joint in place.

[​IMG]

Since the armor cover is supposed to go on the hand it has a notch in it that is perfectly sized for the thinner part of the ball joint. All I had to do was to cut/sand it down so that it fit in the gap were the old hand used to be and then fixate it with super glue and some putty.

[​IMG]

Not perfect but it gets the job done =)

(Sorry for the blurry phone camera pictures)

16. Master Blaster

Master Blaster Banned

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    hmm I like it, simple but effective! Even I can manage something like that I think :p  Thanks for the assistance amigo!

These hands truly amaze me with the sheer amount of articulation they have. Three points per digit, ball jointed thumb, swivel on the fingers, double jointed wrist....these truly are perfect grade. Not to mention the detail on the palms and actual digits is impressive. I'm so stoked to be able to add them to my figures!

No I'm wondering whether they come in a smaller size, something like 1/150, for minibots like Hench. I doubt it, but I think I've seen one custom using the 1/144 on Hench and they work nicely. But Windcharger, UFO, X-Transbots Powerglide are probably out in the cold on this one.

D'you think you'll do that new shoulder mod mate? It looks a tad more complicated than I thought it would be, but it sure makes a nice improvement. I totally hear you about the neck plate as well- I imagine you've already smoothed the underside of it so it actually lies flush with the bonnet. You could trim it round the head slightly so it's more of a neck and less of a plate, but really I don't think there's much you can do with it bar making a new one.

17. Phr0g

Phr0g Politicon

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    Yeah I too wished that there were a 1/150 scale version of the hands, haven't found any though.

Regarding the Budokahn shoulder mod. Done!
    I tried it out last night and it turned out great, once I get the new wheels in place I will update with new pictures ;) 

18. Master Blaster

Master Blaster Banned

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    No doubt at that size they'd be too fragile anyhow huh.

I look forward to the new pictures! What you've done with your Bluestreak is pretty much exactly what I want done with my Nissan bros (except I've opted for the KreO heads, heard they're pretty cool looking).

19. Budokhan

Budokhan Wheeljack's apprentice

Sweet mods to your 'Streak man, subtle paint apps really help a lot ! Gotta love those Hobby base hands huh? Gots tons of 'em myself, cant wait to put 'em all to good use!

20. pumpkingonzo

pumpkingonzo Stunticon lover!

Ebay:
    Absolutely superb what you've done here! I love it!
    Looks so much better.