Fan Art: (Classics) Battlestar Convoy

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by Quintesson #1, Feb 25, 2009.

1. Rider Strike

Rider Strike HARD WORK AND GUTS.

That is an amazing design, I would totally commission someone to put that together... if I had the money...

2. dsn1014

dsn1014 41:75:74:6f:62:6f:74

thats epic big, but why not

my only concern would be the scale of the Prime cab in the chest.

but the knee could be lower into the trailer and its walls could maybe collapse down a bit, like the side panels on PM Primes legs.

You make me want to go out and get some markers.

3. Quintesson #1

Quintesson #1 Eater of Fuzzy Stuff

Third update:

[​IMG]

Sky Garry - Front Section Leg mode (Right leg, showing the inside leg)

Put up the mechanics of the joint as well. Still figuring out how to best do the hand though. Probably by rotating the bottom part 180°, like a lot of other toys do these days to throw Battlestar Convoy's hand out. Hand should probably fit at the end position (I guess just a solid hand with a standard peghole should suffice?). :) 

Yeah it'll be big. But I expected Sky Garry to be roughly as tall as Tidal Wave. :) 

Attached Files:

4. Quintesson #1

Since that front section is pretty much worked out, started on the next portion. Only got to draw the lower arm configuration and combined vehicle mode really, but that's pretty much done with the last two updates already, isn't it?

So next up: Sky Garry's arm which will double as Battlestar Convoy's Shoulder and upper arm.

[​IMG]

Just need to figure out how to rotate the upper arm piece and lock it in place in front of Classics Prime's legs. And of course finalise the overall look of the shoulderpiece as it'd look in shuttle mode. But that should be rather trivial in comparison to the mechanics.

For the rotating up bit, I'm thinking putting this joint on top of a rotating bar that lies along the length of Sky Garry's robot/vehicle mode, but when Sky Garry's body splits up in multiple pieces to merge with Classic Prime's cab, this bit would rotate 90 degrees to keep the shoulder at the middle of the body as well as locking both Sky Garry torso parts together at the top.

The shoulder joint(s) for Battlestar Convoy that would sit on top of this to get the shoulder into its new position should have double articulation. I guess it should be independent from Sky Garry's own shoulder joint that connects to the upper arm. Fearing it would get rather flimsy with this many joints and without proper locks though.

As you may notice, I've found that the wing that overlaps the shoulder is probably better connected to the torso opposed to the shoulder due to its Battlestar config. One problem that might occur though would be that the front of Sky Garry is the top of the shuttle. So either I'd have to add in extra long wings (which would look okay in robotmode, but could cause problems in combined vehicle mode as there'd not be enough room to have them vertical or horizontal, so perhaps if they'd be aimed up as vertical rudders/tailfins?), otherwise I'd have to built in a system that shifts the wings from the bottom/back up to the top/front.

Btw, found this commercial for Sky Garry that shows his old Transformation. Haven't had time to study it thoroughly yet though. At first glance it looks like my system will result in a slightly different transformation for the arms, save the vehicle to arm bit.

Attached Files:

5. Superquad7

Superquad7 OCP Police Crime Prevention Unit 001 Super Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    I think what you're going to find since you're building this with the kitbasher in mind is that a kitbasher who takes this project on will have to scratchbuild a lot of pieces. That being said, I think you're doing a really good job of laying out everything for that said artist. The question is, are there any takers for this project? Perhaps a thread in Radicons discussion and/or a thread in the Commission Requests forum would help as well :) 

6. dsn1014

dsn1014 41:75:74:6f:62:6f:74

I'm liking what I see, I'd say SkyGarry's feet are done for now. For the arms I think I need another update, just a bit of fleshing out and I'll be able to make more sense of what you've posted. A bit of colour will help my tired eyes pick out the details.

I'd say this would be an epic undertaking, but the challenge and process of the design in itself exclusively is worthwhile. Why be limited by little notions like physics when the mind is at play. You do have a very good point of course.

7. Quintesson #1

Colours eh? :p 

[​IMG]

Right. I think I've figured out the best way to do the shoulderpiece joints.

The arm will consist of three sections for the shoulder and one for the lower arm:

1. Sky Garry's upper arm's actual shoulder
    2. Sky Garry's shoulderguard piece
    3. Sky Garry's wing section
    4. Sky Garry's lower arm

The above was listed in order off position furthest from the torso to position closest to the torso. :) 

[​IMG]

1. The lower arm

I think you'll recognise it has a hand that can rotate into the main arm? Probably to make sure the hand is large enough to fit proportions, the hand could be rotated sideways rather than in the standard hand position with top facing up.

You'll also notice there's TWO sliding sections: one on the inside at the elbow joint and one on the outer side at the 'shield': this is to allow the lower arm of Battlestar Convoy (ie. Sky Garry's lower legs) attach where the upper arm can use the same joints. The whole lower arm + upper arm of Sky Garry is to become Battlestar Convoy's upper arm, through this it'll be a bit beefier and longer. :) 

2. The upper arm

Think of these as your standard hip/upper leg joints in TFs these days: two joints for vertical rotation at the top (one rotating along the front face of the body, one along the right face of the body) and one joint halfway towards the elbow for horizontal rotation.

Nothing fancy there really. Most newer bots have these joints for example at the top of the hips and just above the knees.

3. The shoulderguard piece

These are the big blue/white parts Sky Garry has on his shoulders. I want it to have at least two rotation capabilities: one coaxial with the vertical shoulderjoint of the upper arm that works along the right face of the torso. The other joint should allow the part to rotate along an orthogonal axis to the top of the vehiclemode.

Any ideas to fit in rocketengines at the back of the shoulderpiece? (Perhaps have them too be detachable for weaponry?)

4. The wing section piece

This part should have two rotational joints, one to allow the wing to go from wing mode to landingmode at the root of the wing, the other to allow the whole section to rotate 180° degrees from his back to his chest.

Probably it should also hold a couple sliding joints for the main (blue/black) quarters of the torso to split up when at the 180 degrees position, so that Classics Optimus' legs can be fitted in between without losing structural coherency.

Actual shapes, locks and dimensions are yet to be determined - this is just the main mechanical bit of the arm figured out. I could use some help finalising these designs I think, particularly where they all connect at the torso.

Regarding that main torso part, here's what I'm thinking so far:

I figure that the back of Sky Garry could just need one joint to become the top section, and that this joint would be positioned at the top of his back: Just rotate upwards and it'd be in the right position (of course should be able to rotate up more so that Optimus can be fit in before folding it back down). Battlestar Convoy's head which would be fitted on top of this would probably have to be 'facing up' relative to the top of this face to fit in Sky Garry's main body with more ease (due to the antennae).

I think having Sky Garry's OWN head and the red middle part of his chest should fold backwards over the top. Perhaps a part of his hip could lock it into place, allowing Grandus to link up to this newly created 'spinal chord'. Alternatively, one could even have a part of the trailer lock it in and connect to that.

Attached Files:

8. Superquad7

Superquad7 OCP Police Crime Prevention Unit 001 Super Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    I'd love to see this project made, if for no other reason than the depth of design you're pouring into this guy :wink: 

9. Optimist_Prime

Optimist_Prime The Original Optimist!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Quintesson, you can swap out Tidal Wave's legs for Cybertron Jetfire's leg's, with some sanding and shaving, to get a "boat" load of articulation

Check out SMOG's thread for a full guide on the swap.

10. Quintesson #1

Next update: Sky Garry's torso section in its seperate shuttlemode. :) 

[​IMG]

Compared to the combined Sky Garry vehicle, the wings are folded outwards (as you can clearly see, they're at the bottom in this mode, while they'll be at the chest in robotmode). Alternatively ofcourse, they could be put in a landing position, but I'd suggest to only have that so in combined Sky Garry Transport shuttle mode for stability reasons. :) 

The little nacelles hanging at the side, aka his shoulderguardpieces and armsections, are rotated 180° opposed to their position in combined transport shuttle mode.

His head is in robothead position, but facing the bottom, while the top of his helmet is rotated up to form a nosecone. Thought that'd make it look a bit more nifty. Haven't seen that done before with helmets yet either. :) 

Also, I've added a new thing to Sky Garry, which is the vertical tailwing which would reside in his crotch (no bad jokes please! =P).

The Battlestarship mode would basically be the same as Transport Shuttlemode, ie. most parts flipped from their current position, apart from the wings which I suspect would look better like this in that mode. I think the best place to hide the combination parts is below the upper legs (that'd be the Tidal Wave type round clamp part) and behind the cockpit (tubular clamping part) to minimize the height.

EDIT: @Optimist: Do you mean (pretty much) swapping the upper legs so they can rotate horizontally and bend at the knees? That'd prolly do the mold a lot of good indeed. :) 

EDIT2: PS: Will be looking at smoothening out the shape. ;)  This is mostly an early concept sketch, bit brickish still. I'm sure it could look more sophisticated. :) 

Attached Files:

11. Quintesson #1

A quick intermezzo update:

[​IMG]

A brainfart told me to combine HiQ and Roller into one (Minicon) character. >.>

Attached Files:

12. REDLINE

REDLINE longer days, plz? Veteran

News Credits:
    I think it's awesome how you're doing all the engineering like this.

13. Quintesson #1

SKY GARRY ROBOTTUH MODUH:

[​IMG]

(no colours (yet), o rly? ;p)

Most design considerations are in there. Still a bit random detailing. :) 

Attached Files:

14. Quintesson #1

Two digibashes of Minicon Wreckage as Shotbomber (used tfu image of the Minicon version called Shot as template):
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

15. Optimist_Prime

Optimist_Prime The Original Optimist!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Exactly, with this mod he should have full articulation in the lower body. Again ask SMOG if you need further details.