Classics 2-pack Optimus Prime vs. Megatron

Discussion in 'Transformers Feedback & Reviews' started by NotoriousBIC, Sep 28, 2006.

1. NotoriousBIC

NotoriousBIC Prime Suspect

Ok, let me start by giving props to the department that designed the box for this 2-pack. The presentation brings out the best of the 2 figures.
    Sadly the figures themselves most likely won't live up to the first impression you get of them.

Optimus Prime
    Robot Mode

The Good:
    His overall look is great! He looks like RM Prime done right. It's not as detailed as THS-02 Convoy, but it does a good job of giving a feel of authenticity. Every Prime feature is there, right up to the blue translucent eyes, small truck headlights, windscreen chest and grill waist. Purits will like the fact that it's not a faux-grill either and is also the grill in truck-mode.
    They have taken some design liberties on the knee-caps for example, but I actually like them and they do a good job of distracting from the otherwise bland upper legs.
    The best thing about him is his Tommygun-esque blaster. What can I say, I'm a sucker for maffia-type guns.

The Bad:
    Unfortunately his action feature absolutely destroys his poseability. The whole upper part of his torso (the windscreen part and up) is basically a free swivel and will therefore turn to any direction the laws of gravity dictate unless you use the arms to block the swivel movement. (I'm hoping that this is limited to my version alone as the instructions suggest his action feature is a side-to-side movement instead of circular as mine is.)
    I find his head sculpt one of the weakest in years. His mouthplate appears squashed and elongated. Combined with the slightly down-cast eyes it makes him look, well... droopy...
    Some people may not like the fact that the color blue is a more greyish-blue than normal. It doesn't bug me, but you certainly notice the difference when you diplay him with other Primes.
    Lastly it's a shame that he can't hold his Tommy gun two-handed, but then again very few Transformers can do that anyway. You can 'fake' it though by posing his arms across his chest (which also blocks the swivel btw).

Alt Mode
    The Good:
    True to the classics name his alt mode is a cab truck. That's it.

The Bad:
    Oh boy let's sit down for this.
    First of all his cab mode lines up worse than THS-02. The front wheelarches actually stick out to the side a fair ways. To make the front look decent you need to push the arms to the front as much as possible, but that makes the side look worse and vice versa, etc. etc. There's just no way to make it look good.
    Secondly, the back of his head is visible on the top of cab and even sticks out a bit.
    Lastly, and this is only minor in comparison, his legs don't telescope in. This wouldn't be a problem if the swivel point was his hips like with RM Prime. It's actually at his waist making the hitch part of the cab mode excessively long and leaving his hips and upper legs in full view.

Final Verdict:
    A decent rendition of Optimus Prime. Would be much better if there's a way to block that action feature. Just leave it in robot mode though...

Megatron
    Robot Mode

The Good:
    As with Prime his overall looks and detailing are great. Especially the head-sculpt is nicely detailed. He has a evil grin on his face that really suits him. His poseability is good and you can get him into some nice action poses.
    His seperate gun is cool too as it has a shoulder-support, which I like to think as a nice nod towards the original Megatron.
    Some people have said that the green is bad, but I think it's a good hommage to G2 Megatron.

The Bad:
    He doesn't have a right hand! Not a biggie if his right arm extended into the BFG (a la Shockwave), but that isn't the case. His arm ends in a stump and the arm cannon sits on top. Furthermore it's a bit fiddly to pose it like a real arm cannon, because of the action feature. The feature itself is ok I guess, but it just doesn't make sense to me.

Alt Mode
    The Good:
    Contrary to what you might suspect during the transformation he fits together pretty nicely and is solid in tank mode.
    He rolls, has a rotating turret and the barrel can move up and down. His gun can even be placed on top as a turret, what more do you want?

The Bad:
    Like I reported in this thread, I think that Megatron comes wrongly assembled from the factory. I truly hope that it's only this early release, but the pictures on the box show him wrongly assembled as well. Only the instructions hint to the correct assembly.
    Once fixed the feet kibble in tank mode is minimal, but left unchanged it's terrible even slightly blocking the turret.
    Lastly I don't really like how the gun cover sits slightly above the turret and you can see the grey plastic where the paint end. I hope that this is corrected at final release, but again the box pictures suggest otherwise.

Final Verdict:
    Good rendition of G2 Megatron with some nice 'classic' nods. Here's hoping the feet come correctly assembled.

The DVD
    The DVD contains a gallery of all (announced) Classics toys and a special episode called "Optimus Prime vs Megatron: The Ultimate Battle".
    It features Optimus Prime (Gary Chalk) who gives a rundown of the Transformers Universe and explains who the Autobots and Decepticons are, how they end up with all those different forms, what Minicons and Cyberkeys are, etc. It's a compilation of clips from Armada, Energon and Cybertron with highlights such as the battle for the Star Saber between Hot Shot and Megatron (from Armada) and the fight for the Planet Cup between Optimus Prime and Megatron (from Cybertron).
    The episode is evidently geared towards people only casually familiar with the Transformers universe and will not have anything new for fans. It is however a nice little compilation for all those "Oh yeah!" moments.

2. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Veteran

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    Wow, how'd you get it so early? Do you think the loose upper torso might be because he is an early release?

3. DrGrim

DrGrim OBEY

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    You have them? May I see pictures?

4. onesock

onesock Banned

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    The "super punching action" or whatever. It makes his hips spin like a top.

5. NotoriousBIC

It's actually the upper part of his chest that spins, above the grill.

Here's the only other picture (apart from the Megatron misassembly pics) I got sofar:
    [​IMG]

I'll make more when time permits.

6. .SentinelPrime Is Dead.

.SentinelPrime Is Dead. Banned

NICE! is that prime megs two pack a toys r us exclusive?

7. REDLINE

REDLINE longer days, plz? Veteran

News Credits:
    no

8. NotoriousBIC

PICS!

[​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. Sol Fury

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    Nice! So they're both a little bigger than the RM Prime? That's good, I think that'd be a great scale for them. BW Deluxe size.

10. Megatronwp38

Megatronwp38 Nobody defeats the DEVASTATOR!

Hmm...interesting set. Still on the fence about these since I really think a Second set of Prime and Megs for classics is a little redundant, especailly since the other two voyager ones are MUCH nicer.

11. DrGrim

DrGrim OBEY

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Can you shed some light on the contents of the DVD?

12. DrGrim

DrGrim OBEY

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Double post.

13. NotoriousBIC

Last part of my review covers that.

14. DrGrim

DrGrim OBEY

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Duh, I'm totally non observant. My bad.

15. General Tekno

General Tekno Lugnut Supremor & Arkivist

News Credits:
    So are these SUPPOSED to be out? Hasbro's site says Early 07...

16. Sol Fury

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    That's the saturation date, most likely. Expect them to start turning up shortly, since BBTS says they'll have them around the end of the year.

17. Codimus Prime

Codimus Prime Missouri Toy Hunter

wow... still no sign of these...

18. Lumpy

Lumpy Taylor Swift Action Master Super Mod

News Credits:
    yeah, i think ill pass on this set, unless someone buys it for me...the figures just dont seem worth it, and i really dont need another prime and megs unless they are amazing and different in someway....and sucking isnt a difference...

19. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Be strong enough to be gentle

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    :puke: 

20. Absurdicus

Absurdicus Ridiculous G2 Combiner

Who are the other two Primes pictured? And which one exactly is RM Convoy? Man I'm loving all those primes. May have to get the RM Convoy if its the one I'm thinking.

Crappy headsculpt on Classics Prime though. Super awesome body...must get