CHUG Seeker Mold: Worth it?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by CheggyChonkers, Nov 24, 2020.

1. CheggyChonkers

CheggyChonkers Well-Known Member

YouTube:
    I recently bough a Generations Dirge and I must say, I'm really impressed. It's my first experience with that old Seeker mold and now it leaves me wondering: Should I keep hunting for the Earthrise Seekers and run the risk of never finding the exclusive ones (cough, cough, all of the Coneheads)? Or should I just buy the old CHUG seeker mold and not have to worry about missing out? I'm well aware of the issues that come with that older mold being used so much (my Generations Dirge has small cracks at the pins connecting the feet to the ankles). It's not a big deal to me if they are small issues like that, but I'm going to ask the more seasoned collectors out there: Should I go with the CHUG mold or the Earthrise mold? I'm gonna leave G1 accuracy and all that out of this because each mold is going for a completely different aesthetic.

2. AutobotAvalanche

AutobotAvalanche Number One in Boogieland Moderator

News Credits:
    Snapchat-1553246760-1.jpg

Last edited: Nov 24, 2020
    • Like Like x 30
  3. worldsgreatest

worldsgreatest Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Earthrise is ten trillion times better.

4. Metalwario64

Metalwario64 City Commander

Eh... it's mostly the same thing, only upscaled. Better for sure, but not really by that much.

• Like Like x 3
  5. HunterGreen2005

HunterGreen2005 In Stock

News Credits:
    Sounds like you enjoy the old CHUG seekers. They are fairly inexpensive these days, mine as well get those to hold you over/satisfy an itch, and just go after the Earthrise ones as a side/not the end of the world project?

For me personally, the new ER Seeker mold is pretty/fantastic to look at in both modes, but when I start to play with them, the disappointment sets in. They are just bigger versions of the old seeker mold with slightly more points of articulation. I'm all in because I'm a sucker, but outside of the O.G. six and the Welcoming Committee and a ghost Starscream, I'm cut off. :p 

• Like Like x 3
  6. CheggyChonkers

CheggyChonkers Well-Known Member

YouTube:
    Sweet, thanks for your help. That meme won me over :lol 
    I was kinda leaning toward the older mold, I think I'm gonna go after 'em now! One more question though, where would be the best place to buy them? I was looking on eBay not too long ago (at Classics Ramjet specifically) and the cheapest one was about the cost of a modern voyager. Am I just looking in the wrong place?

• Like Like x 4
  7. AutobotAvalanche

AutobotAvalanche Number One in Boogieland Moderator

News Credits:
    Surf the BST here. I picked up Ramjet and Skywarp these past few months for great prices.

8. Backbeat

Backbeat Well-Known Member

Granted I may have been cursed or some such nonsense. But every version of the chug mold I've had has broke within the first month I've had them. The earthrise starscream I have has not. Take that as you will.

9. Olivus Prime

Olivus Prime Space Ranger

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Both versions are great, but I guess it depends upon how you want them to fit into your collection. If you want an enormous squadron of Seekers, go for the Classics mold, as there are a billion and one redecos out there to hoard. On the other hand, if you're only fussed about the core six, or want to see them stand a little bigger than their Autobot foes, the Earthrise ones are the way to go.

10. Zappit

Zappit Well-Known Member

The Earthrise mood is superior, but the old Classics mold is still decent. Here’s your next problem with that, though.

You don’t just settle for just a few Seekers. You might track down all the Coneheads. You’ll have an easy time finding a Starscream - same with Acid Storm. Then it gets tricky. Skywarp is harder to find, and pricey. There’s also the Botcon Rainmakers, which aren’t cheap. It adds up even more. The price of the Earthrise Coneheads will end up being less than the cost of tracking down some of those more elusive Classics mold figures.

• Like Like x 3
  11. KFGatri

KFGatri Madman with a Blue Box

Ebay:
    You forgot the fact that Classics has landing gear, so you can actually display it in jet mode without scraping the chest paint.

ER is bigger, has a few more points of articulation, but that one omission is a deal-breaker for me. Not to mention the difficulty getting the ER Seekers the OP mentioned.

• Like Like x 2
  12. worldsgreatest

worldsgreatest Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ten. Trillion.

(But yeah, you're right for the most part)

13. Shadow25

Shadow25 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I prefer some of the deco choices on the CHUG Seekers a bit more (particularly Thundercracker, Ramjet and Dirge, with more expressive paint jobs on their wings / chests), but the Earthrise Seeker mold is waaaay better.

I only made the choice to upgrade once it was clear they were doing 3x Seekers and 3x Coneheads, and I'm lucky I was able to acquire them all (Thrust pre-ordered!).

• Like Like x 1
  14. Motor_Master

Motor_Master Lets the balls touch

News Credits:
    I'd say go for it, especially if you can get them for original retail ($10... none of this $20 crap). I picked up a Starscream not too long ago with some great custom paint apps for less than $10.

:lolol  remember how pissed people were that you could only get Skywarp via the two-pack with Ultra magnus... and only at Target.

That balances out with the Universe 2.0 Starscream that seems to keep falling on the floor from my desk and the only issue is it fires off the missiles and I have to spend 10 minutes trying to find them :lol 

• Like Like x 3
  15. DanC

DanC Delightful person

News Credits:
    Love this fandom

• Like Like x 4
  16. Optimus1138

Optimus1138 Minecraft Addict

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    For the regular Seekers I think the ER ones are way better (more detailed, better articulation, more unified paint jobs, and most importantly to me, not tiny in comparison to literally every other CHUG figure) but I honestly really prefer the CHUG Coneheads. The ER ones just look so cheap without their wing stripes or even properly painted cockpits. I upgraded my Seekers to ER but decided to skip out on the Coneheads entirely since they're so hard to come by and I don't have space for a huge collection.

• Like Like x 2
  17. Gepard

Gepard Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The correct answer is to get both.

• Like Like x 3
  18. RodimusRex

RodimusRex Well-Known Member

I was literally just thinking about putting my WFC 84 figures in storage and switching out the shelf dio to make room for army building Quints and Sweeps. I feel ATTACKED. Heh.

Seriously, I need news of a Kingdom or Studio Series Blaster for my new shelf.

19. doomtron

doomtron Hunter

News Credits:
    I like both versions with earthrise my favorite. It's all about scale who goes with who. If you have a lot of figures I'd say both but good luck on the deluxe skywarp.

• Like Like x 1
  20. blastoff2334

blastoff2334 Gattai

News Credits:
    Both are nice but if you can’t get the ER and find one that has no bad pins etc then the chug is still superior also scale if your that type of person, I managed to get the seekers at a decent price and mine had no bad pins but your mileage my vary