Non-TF: Christmas Tree Angel

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by EarthGBilly, Dec 23, 2018.

1. EarthGBilly

EarthGBilly Sucker for a GERWALK Mode

This was a long planned/repeatedly started/never finished project that I finally determined to finish this year.

Originally, it was a much more complicated project, but, thankfully, some great figures we're produced in the last few years that simplified it a lot. The first version I started, low those many years ago, used a Batman action figure as a base, and the wings from a Redemption Spawn figure.

This was much easier and far better.

Forgive the stock/Google photos for the used figures. I didn't take a lot of pictures along the way.

First, the figure that made me think, wait... I think I can do this!:
    PhotoEditor_20181223_162406742.jpg
    The Astral Projection Doctor Strange movie figure. I loved the slightly irideIride plastic used, and the robed look was so perfect for my end goal.

But, I wanted flesh tone for the hands and head. First, the obvious choice:
    PhotoEditor_20181223_162251293.jpg
    The regular Doctor Strange movie figure. I almost decided to just straight up use the heads and hands from this, but it wasn't the look I was going for with that head. But the hands were perfect.

I had hoped to find a head that would fit without modifications. I figured my best shot was using another movie figure from the Marvel Cinematic Universe. And Captain America seemed a good choice:
    PhotoEditor_20181223_162211981.jpg
    But... it wasn't a straight fit. The ball joint on the Doctor Strange figure was significantly larger that Captain America's. But, I own a Dremel, so I could fix that.

The wings were the biggest challenge. Action Figure-dom is filled with terrible wings. But, I remembered a terrible looking figure that had great wings - Marvel Legends Sentinel Series Angel:
    PhotoEditor_20181223_162313788.jpg

With all the components, I began construction. I had to cut the wing mounts back out of the Angel figure, create a seat for it in the Astral Doctor Strange, Dremel down the peg joint so Steve Roger's head could fit, and do a quick fit to see how it all looked together.
    IMG_20181202_085941_782.jpg

After that, it was a little more Dremeling, some epoxy, some JB Weld, a little paint, and some Iridescent Medium, and the sacrifice of a star tree topper for the coiled wire to put it on the tree, and I had this:
    IMG_20181216_222509_236.jpg

All in all, I am pretty happy with this. It has been on the tree for about two weeks, and hasn't fallen. I will be creating a stronger mount to put it on the tree, since it's heavy, maybe something using pvc pipe and a clothes hanger, but it is done for this year.

Merry Christmas, everyone, and God Bless!

• Like Like x 8
  2. autobot prowl

autobot prowl Well-Known Member

Heh, thats pretty cool!

3. EarthGBilly

Thanks!

4. Venixion

Venixion Member of the notorious Pew-Pew Posse

News Credits:
    I love those wings!

5. EarthGBilly

Yeah, the wings are probably the best wings ever produced for an action figure. The individual wings themselves are still detachable from the mount I scavenged from the original figure, and adjustable forward and backward. As a tree topper, though, this is the position I'll likely leave them in.

The rest of that Marvel Legends Angel figure is pretty bad, though. The red bleeds through into the white and even discolors the wings on a lot of the figures, and the head sculpt is bloated and badly proportioned, with crummy neck articulation.

• Like Like x 1