Chris Claremont bashes Disney for sinking X-Men

Discussion in 'Comic Books and Graphic Novels' started by QLRformer, Nov 6, 2016.

1. Hazekiah

Hazekiah Banned

News Credits:
    Yeah, I was as excited about Claremont's return to the X-Men as I was Furman's return to his G1 continuity...only to be MASSIVELY disappointed by both. That's exactly why I went there in my earlier post.

And I get that no one's saying "no one else can write a good X-Men comic," but "it's basically been an unmitigated clusterfuck since he left" is pretty close considering the fact that it's been about a quarter of a century since then, lol.

2. smkspy

smkspy Remember true fans

Yeah, we've got lots of great stuff since Claremont left.

Brubaker ' s run was awesome.
    Joe Casey on adjectiveless.
    Matt Fraction ' Uncanny was outstanding.

And after reading Forever, I'm so glad he left when he did.

• Like Like x 1
  3. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    I don't think Forever is indicative of what he would have done immediately following the issue he got ousted back in 1991 any more than Regeneration One is indicative of what Furman would have done in Transformers #81, if it had continued in 1991.

Other than killing off Wolverine, which I think would have been perfectly timed.

4. Dr Kain

Dr Kain Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    From my understanding, the X-Men comics had turned to total shit by the time the movies hit. And then Marvel decided to take the worst aspects of the movies (those awful black outfits) and made them the comic outfits.

5. Xabungle

Xabungle Well-Known Member

I really wish Marvel would just acknowledge that promoting the Inhumans as X-Men substitutes just isn't working. Besides Black Bolt, there's not much interest among the fans I know, and there's certainly not a similar level of recognition from the general public. One could say that the Guardians of the Galaxy were in exactly the same position... but the push in the comics was preceded by a great film, and the Guardians weren't burdened with a perception that they were replacing another Marvel team.

• Like Like x 2
  6. 3.8TransAM

3.8TransAM Banned

Furman sucks. He gets a pass in the UK comic, but that didn't matter when he was doing the US series.... pretty epic shit as in massive bowl movement......

Morrison had some good stuff.

Whedon.....he loved Claremont and it showed.

Ellis.... I go with "eh" as well, had some decent concepts for things, but overall was pushing things to the weird side.

The X-Men we know and maybe even Marvel would not exist without Claremont. Look at his run. The stories. The characters, both existing and created. The artists involved on said run. He helped shape the entire X universe of everything involving mutants.

Cohesion, continuity, plots that made sense and honest to God writing.

He was the only one on record with the balls to stand up to the fucking clusterfuck of crossover shithole crap that is comics today. That's part of the first time he left. He had his family taken away from him that he grew into what it is today. I would be pissed and bitter to.

Has there been good stories since he left? Yes

Has there been anything remotely approaching his run on the books? Nope, not even a sliver of light.

Once the control was gone for him, he was a broke man to it. It shows when he comes back to it. If he was handed the reigns again tomorrow to due as he wished I am sure it would be excellent.

I almost forgot. Fuck you Disney and fuck you Fox. You cocksuckers have ruined the goddamned books I grew up with and lived on for a good chunk of my life. May you all die and rot in hell. Shove that up your ass when you come up with "Continuity Quest" and sell that bullshit to us.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Murasame

Murasame 村雨

News Credits:
    I'm impressed you all know about the guys writing a story. I only care that much about this when reading Transformers. I liked a lot of X-Men comics, but I have no idea who wrote them. I just bought them and read them when I liked them and stopped when yet another big event happened. I think I stopped when Siege happened. This events and crossovers are what hurt the stories and in the long run the sales. Today I only read old comics via Comixology. Also Wolverine and Deadpool :lol 

The X-Force comics also were awesome. And the Cable book.

But then Marvel fucked too much up.

8. smkspy

Somebody's childhood got raped.

And Claremont did get tons of control every time he returned.

Revolution was a mess...though loved the redesigns.

His third uncanny was really good. Likewise xtreme was very consistent and the End series was amazing.

Claremont just ran into the problem that his "family" favored certain characters to the point he was writing good stories with them.

9. Hazekiah

Hazekiah Banned

News Credits:
    Meh...well-timed or not, I was pretty disappointed by that Death of Wolverine business. Not that I'm opposed to the idea of his death, that is. I just don't think that was the best way to handle it. Nice to see Cornelius back from the dead for the umpteenth time at least, lol.

But, yeah. I actually AM in agreement with you about the stories that would have been written by Claremont & Furman if they'd never left vs. the stories they wrote ages after the fact.

Firstly, the audience would have had the chance to mature THROUGH that storytelling rather than in its absence. Coming back to an old style decades later isn't exactly a smooth transition, nor is it easy for rusty talent to adapt to ever-changing demands. So there's that.

But, even more importantly, Claremont & Furman were ON FIRE when they suddenly disappeared. The shit they would have cranked out effortlessly back then would EASILY be better than their latter-day, try-hard attempts to recapture the magic.

It really is a shame in both cases.

:-\

Annnnd here we go with this ridiculous costume rant of yours again, lol.

Noted.

>_>

The Inhumans/X-Men thing actually works for me.

I mean, I understand the business motives behind it...but that's not a bad thing. And the X-Men (especially the All-New, All-Different #94 crew) had next-to-no interest or recognition back in the day, either. Just look at them now! I say good for Marvel for having the faith in their talent to make this work.

And The Guardians of the Galaxy are actually a better example of this than you realize. Basically, no one really cared about them until Valentino revived them in the '90s. Then he split for Image and no one cared about them again until the mid-2000s when they revamped the team and brought in much of what you see onscreen in the movies. And the success of THAT version of the title is pretty much the SOLE reason the movies even exist in the first place.

It's not so much "the push in the comics was preceded by a great film" as it is THE GREAT FILM WAS PRECEDED BY A PUSH IN THE COMICS.

Or SEVERAL, as it were.

10. Dr Kain

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Sorry, but I thought the costumes were crap 16 years ago and I still think they are crap.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Hazekiah

Hazekiah Banned

News Credits:
    That's because they're not "costumes" that silly-ass power-fantasy comic book characters play dress-up in for no real reason, lol.

They're functional, protective leather suits worn to actually enhance the battlefield efficacy of the people who wear them.

PERISH THE THOUGHT!

D:

12. smkspy

New x men cyclops looked badass. Wolverine was pretty dumb though with shirtless leather jacket. I remember being upset at the time they were released, but learned to appreciate as I read the title. Too bad Morrison lost his way around the Weapon 12 storyline...pretty all downhill from there.

13. Hazekiah

Hazekiah Banned

News Credits:
    I actually like Wolverine's shirtless leather jacket.

He had the nod to the uniform, but his healing factor made him basically immune to the cold so why bother with the thermal-underwear everyone else wore, right?

Plus, it made him stand apart from the rest as a bit of wild man and showed off his animalistic abundance of body hair.

WIN/WIN

14. ABH1979

ABH1979 Veteran

Frank Quitely's Wolverine always looked like Armand Assante, to me. Younger and more muscular, of course.

15. Dr Kain

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    And that is why the movies fail (well one of the reasons). If you don't want costumed super heroes, don't call it X-Men. It's as simple as that.

16. Hazekiah

Hazekiah Banned

News Credits:
    No.

No. The point isn't that mutants are stars of stage and screen, adorned in all their finery, lol. The point is that they're just like us, except they're mutants.

17. smkspy

New X Men Wolverine was better than Patch I'll give it that at least.

18. Hazekiah

Hazekiah Banned

News Credits:
    I liked Patch most of all, lol.

Especially how Cyber first ripped his eye out! And I always thought it was cool that Logan met Gateway decades later and it was just a quick hop across the ocean to fuck shit up in Madripoor.

XD

Last edited: Nov 8, 2016
  19. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    "Costumed heroes" has never been the point of the X-Men. Even in the very beginning, Kirby purposely gave them the most drab black & yellow school UNIFORMS. Not costumes. Clothes with a uniform look, meant to be the opposite of costumes. And the Morrison/Quitely redesign was a throwback to that black & yellow uniform look. One of X-Men's greatest strengths is that it's one of the very few super-hero comics with a point beyond people with powers throwing punches at each other. If you're hung up over wanting to see the ridiculous costumes, you're missing that point.

• Like Like x 2
  20. Starscream Gaga

Starscream Gaga Protoformed This Way

News Credits:
    Not to mention that the original X-men movies came out in a completely different environment than what we have today in regards to superhero movies. They needed to distance themselves from the likes of Batman and Robin in order to be successful and taken seriously and the leather uniforms contributed to that.

• Like Like x 1