Minor/Repaint: [Chiu Creative2] - G1 Optimus Prime Paper Model Build

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by chapsy, Feb 25, 2013.

1. WuLongTi

WuLongTi Cyber Ninja Web Developer

News Credits:
    Dude, he's not the designer. He's just passing along the link to those models. If you want it altered or resized you'll have to either do it yourself or commission someone to do it for you.

2. chapsy

chapsy Well-Known Member

If you are talking about the Chiu Creative models, no, I will not post files for them because:

A.)They are for sale, not free.

B.) I am not the designer, Chiu is. Therefore, I cannot make the choice to share them freely without making him mad and stopping sales to foreign customers.

C.)They do not come as digital files, only hard copies from Chiu himself.

If you would like to purchase these, PM me and I will send you Chiu's email so you can contact him and buy them from him.

He is a very nice guy and deserves the support for designing these, please purchase them if you are interested in building them.

3. Automaster

Automaster Eye Heart TF's!!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I love watching this stuff unfold (pun intended). What do you do in the case of messing a piece up really bad. Did the kit come with some extras?

I followed your link to the 3.5' movie Optimus and am putting him together. Thanks!

4. chapsy

chapsy Well-Known Member

no problem! have fun with it, the model is massive!

in the case of missing pieces, you're kinda screwed unless you email the designer asking for replacements. Chiu would most likely help you out for cost of shipping, but in the case of Japanese event exclusive items, they typically don't help foreign customers, as their kits are meant for a domestic audience only.

The general rule of thumb with pre-printed kits that you don't have back up files for, BE AS CAREFUL AS POSSIBLE. I look at the parts and instructions thoroughly before doing any scoring or building. that way, you prevent as many mishaps as possible from happening.

5. Automaster

Automaster Eye Heart TF's!!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    One thing that I've noticed is a better model has all the color pieces printed on that color of paper all grouped together like your G1 Op. My movie Op is printed on white paper in color. This makes a huge difference when folding as the white comes out from the fold stress whereas a model "molded" from the paper in its own color does not.

When mine is all done, I'm probably going to have to touch up those areas with paint. Hey it is a custom of sorts! :) 

6. WuLongTi

WuLongTi Cyber Ninja Web Developer

News Credits:
    Lots of guys will take a marker to the edges of the paper as they are building it too :) 

7. strangeguy32000

strangeguy32000 Well-Known Member

Nice model. I've done some Papercraft in the past and it can be pretty involved.
    Have you seen the Movie Prime Julius Perdana released on Paper Replika?

8. chapsy

chapsy Well-Known Member

Seconded. If you have a Color Print model take some markers to those edges before gluing them together! You'd be surprised how much better the finished product is.

Sure have! I'm good friends with Julius, and my wife and I built it a long time ago. Unfortunately, our cats killed him and we had to lay him to rest. We tend to stick to smaller models now ;) 

I really want to build Julius' Nanosuit 2.0 sometime. I saw Denes' build of it on Facebook and it looks amazing!

9. chapsy

chapsy Well-Known Member

Update!

Step 19:

[​IMG]

Cut out pieces T-05 and T-08 (2 each)

[​IMG]

Glue into the shapes as shown. LEAVE THE ENDS ON THE T-05 PIECES OPEN!

[​IMG]

Insert the T-08 pieces inside the open ends of the T-05 pieces. DO NOT GLUE THEM INSIDE. Glue the ends shut after they are inserted.

[​IMG]

This completes Step 19.

Step 20:

[​IMG]

Cut out pieces L-07, M-07, P-02, and Q-16 (2 each)

[​IMG]

Glue the L-07 and M-07 onto the marked areas on the P-02 pieces.

[​IMG]

Glue the P-02 pieces into the boxes as shown.

[​IMG]

Glue the Q-16 pieces and attach them to the P-02 pieces onto the marked boundaries as shown. note the orientation of the textures, the pieces are pictured bottom down.

This completes Step 20.

Step 21:

[​IMG]

Cut out pieces L-01 and L-02 (2 each)

[​IMG]

Glue them into the boxes as shown.

[​IMG]

Get the pieces from Steps 18,19, and 20.

[​IMG]

Take the long rod pieces from step 18, and put them through one of the L-01 or L-02 pieces (it doesn't matter which at this point.). Push the rod through until the black line matches with the face of the L-01 or L-02 piece. Wait until dry.

[​IMG]

Thought I took more pics of this, but I'll try to explain the best I can.

After you glue the rod into the L-01 or L-02 piece and it is dry, insert it through the other holes of the assembly from Step 20. DO NOT GLUE THE L-01 OR L-02 PIECES TO THE STEP 20 ASSEMBLIES. Take the opposite piece to the L-01 or L-02 piece, and glue it onto the other side of the rod using the inner tabs. You will have to use your tweezers to make sure the tabs don't get caught on the rod as it gets pushed through the other side.

For the top side, do the same thing. The only difference is the lack of extra pieces, hence the shorter rod. I think Chiu made a mistake with marking the boundaries, as the rod is far too long to line up the edges of the Step 20 parts with the Step 19 rods. Just try to center them the best you can.

This completes Step 21.

10. chapsy

chapsy Well-Known Member

Step 22:

[​IMG]

Cut out pieces W-04 (2 each), W-05 (2 each), W-06 (4 each), and Y-04 (4 each)

[​IMG]

Glue the W-04 and W-05 pieces into boxes as shown. *NOTE: The short flap along the side of the boxes is supposed to extend a little past the edge, don't cut it flat.*

[​IMG]

Take the W-06 pieces and glue them on top of the W-04 and W-05 pieces.

[​IMG]

Glue the Y-04 pieces on top of the W-06 pieces. The thickness from the paper should make the extra flap from earlier line up flat with the other pieces attached.

[​IMG]

This completes Step 22.

Step 23:

[​IMG]

Cut out pieces T-01, T-02, and T-03 (2 each)

[​IMG]

Glue the T-02 and T-03 pieces into boxes as shown.

[​IMG]

Get the pieces from Steps 21 and 22.

[​IMG]

Take one of the pieces from Step 22 and glue it onto the T-03 pieces. The number side on T-03 faces forward. The long, flat edge of the Step 22 pieces faces forward as well, with the hole facing the inside. There is a marked boundary to place the Step 22 pieces in.

[​IMG]

Take that assembly and attach it to the top rod on the Step 21 assemblies. DO NOT GLUE THE ROD IN PLACE!

[​IMG]

Take the other side of the Step 22 pieces and attach it like you did in the previous couple of pics, still not gluing the rod in place. This seals off the top leg joint and keeps it poseable.

[​IMG]

Glue the T-01 pieces on to of the T-03 pieces to serve as reinforcement/spacers.

[​IMG]

Glue the T-02 pieces on top of the T-01 pieces.

[​IMG]

This completes Step 23.

11. chapsy

chapsy Well-Known Member

Finally completed the legs today! Time to catch up on progress photos!

Step 24:

[​IMG]

cut out pieces Y-01, Z-06, and BK-01 (2 each)

[​IMG]

Glue the Y-01 and Z-06 pieces into the shapes as shown.
    *Note: The little flaps at the bottom-middle of the Y-01 pieces get glued back onto themselves to strengthen that area*

[​IMG]

Glue the BK-01 pieces on top of the Y-01 pieces in the marked boundary. Keep the holes aligned as well.

[​IMG]

Glue the Z-06 pieces onto the Y-01 pieces as pictured. note the alignment of the textures and the holes.

This completes Step 24.

Step 25:

[​IMG]

Get the assemblies from Step 23 along with the recently completed Step 24 assemblies.

[​IMG]

Apply glue ONLY to the top of the Step 23 assemblies, and slide the Step 24 assemblies down over the top until they are joined. Align the holes, as usual.

This completes Step 25.

Step 26:

[​IMG]

Cut out piece B-02 (2 each, Left and Right.)

[​IMG]

Glue the large flaps and sides together to form the first box. Make sure you fold the box so the X area is on the outside.

[​IMG]

Fold and glue the extra flaps into a second, smaller box.

[​IMG]

Glue the smaller boxes back onto the X area, making a raised box on the front of the main large box.

[​IMG]

Get the assemblies from Step 25.

[​IMG]

Attach the Step 26 assemblies to the Step 25 assemblies. DO NOT GLUE THEM TOGETHER. The small raised box section goes to the front.

This completes Step 26.

12. chapsy

chapsy Well-Known Member

Step 27:

[​IMG]

Get the assemblies from Step 17, along with the recently completed Step 26 assemblies.

[​IMG]

Glue the Step 26 assemblies on top of the Step 17 assemblies. Align the Step 26 assemblies to the back side of the Step 17 assemblies. To keep things clean, only apply glue to the bottom of the Step 26 assemblies.

This completes Step 27.

Step 28:

[​IMG]

*FOREWARNING - I'll be going a little out of order with the instructions because I encountered a slight problem with the instructions here. You build two sets of these assemblies to serve as internal supports for the sides of the legs, here in Step 28/29 and in Step 31/32. Chiu has you build one set and then instructs you to start building the sides of the legs. the problem is that you need one each from Step 29/32 since the holes are on opposite sides(for the Left and Right sides of the legs, respectively.). If you use both from Step 28 or 32 for one side of the legs the holes won't line up properly.*

Cut out pieces U-01 and U-04 (2 each)

[​IMG]

Glue the U-01 pieces onto the undersides of the U-04 pieces.

This completes Step 28.

Step 29:

[​IMG]

Cut out piece U-03 (2 each)

[​IMG]

Glue the pieces into boxes as shown.

[​IMG]

Glue the boxes together. Note the position of the arrows.

This completes Step 29.

Steps 31 and 32:

[​IMG]

Cut out pieces U-01, U-05, and U-03 (2 each)

[​IMG]

Like in Step 28, Glue the U-01 pieces to the underside of the U-05 pieces, keeping the holes aligned.

[​IMG]

Again, like in the previous step, glue the pieces into boxes.

[​IMG]

Glue the boxes together, keeping the arrows aligned.

This completes Steps 31 and 32.

Step 30:

[​IMG]

Take one assembly from Step 29 and 32. Cut out piece B-01 (2 each, Left and Right.)

[​IMG]

Flip the B-01 piece over and glue the Step 29/32 assemblies as shown. the easiest way to align them is to align the top corners like in the picture. Be sure you have the correct side so the holes line up!

[​IMG]

Finish gluing the B-01 pieces shut.

This completes Step 30.

13. chapsy

chapsy Well-Known Member

Step 33:

Now it's time to do the other side of the Legs.

[​IMG]

Cut out piece A-01 (2 each, Left and Right.), get the other 2 assemblies from Steps 29 and 32.

[​IMG]

Just like in the previous step, glue the Step 29/32 assemblies to the back of the A-01 pieces, aligning the holes and the top corner as shown.

[​IMG]

Finish gluing the A-01 pieces shut.

[​IMG]

Cut out pieces A-04 and A-07 (2 each, Left and Right.)

[​IMG]

Glue them together into boxes as shown. Note that the A-04 boxes are thinner than the A-07 pieces.

[​IMG]

Get the assemblies from Steps 30 and 33.

[​IMG]

Glue the A-04 and A-07 pieces onto the Step 30 and 33 assemblies. Note the size of the rear flaps on the Step 30/33 assemblies is the same size of the back sides of the A-04 and A-07 are different. They should match up.

This completes Step 33.

Step 34:

[​IMG]

cut out pieces N-02 (12 each), and N-03.

[​IMG]

Glue 3 of the N-02 strips on top of one another. Repeat 3 more times into you have 4 thickened strips. Glue the N-03 pieces into boxes.

Glue the N-03 strips onto the N-02 boxes. These are a little hard to line up. I found it was slightly easier to glue the whole strip, attach the sides first, and then gently press the top side down until the whole strip is glued in place.

This completes Step 34.

Step 35:

[​IMG]

Get the assemblies from Step 25, 30, 33, and the recently completed Step 34 assemblies.

[​IMG]

Apply glue to the sides of the Step 25 assemblies, making sure to not get any glue around the protruding rod. glue the corresponding sides of the legs onto the Step 25 assemblies. DO NOT glue the top of the protruding rod inside the sides of the legs.

The assemblies from Step 30, with the Box area with and X in the middle, go on the outside of the legs. The side of the Step 25 assemblies with the section taken out of the ankles are the inside of the legs. (To allow for posing of the ankles.)

[​IMG]

Align the back and top edges of the Step 25 assemblies and the sides of the legs.

[​IMG]

Glue the Step 34 assemblies onto the sides of the legs with the Box and an X in the middle.

This completes Step 35, and completes the Legs!

14. Snake_eyes1975

Snake_eyes1975 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Holy crap awesome...

15. stevil33

stevil33 Army of Wastemen

Instagram:
    Flickr:
    I cant believe how much work is needed to put in to this!
    Amazing stuff, I'll be avidly watching the progress on this badboy :cool: .

16. chapsy

chapsy Well-Known Member

Phew! Man, where has the time gone?

So, sorry for being totally absent for the past couple months. Life got in the way, in addition to wrapping up other unfinished paper projects that have been sitting around for a long time. Here's a couple of pics of my recently finished project. Not TF Related, but figured it'd be worth sharing.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I've made a lot of progress on Prime in the last few days. Have 114 new pictures to upload, stay tuned! This is gonna take a while!

17. Ranger Silver 6

Ranger Silver 6 Bang Bang

Qubeley=Win

18. chapsy

chapsy Well-Known Member

Part 2 - Waist

Now that the legs are done, it's time to make the waist and give them something to attach to!

Step 36:

[​IMG]

Cut out pieces M-05 and M-06 (2 each)

[​IMG]

Glue the pieces together as shown

[​IMG]

Keeping the holes aligned, apply glue to the bottom of the M-05 pieces, and gently slide the M-06 pieces through to make the shape shown.

This completes Step 36

Step 37:

[​IMG]

Cut out pieces L-06 and M-04 (2 each)

[​IMG]

Fold and Glue the L-06 pieces back onto themselves to make a triple-thick Octagon as shown. Fold and Glue the tabs on the M-04 pieces back onto themselves as shown to reinforce the strips.

[​IMG]

Using the assemblies from Step 36, glue the L-06 pieces onto the tabs at the "top" of the assemblies. Once dry, glue the M-04 strips on the sides and bottom of the assemblies as shown.

This completes Step 37.

Step 38:

[​IMG]

Cut out pieces M-01, M-02 (2 each), and M-03 (4 each)

[​IMG]

Assemble the M-01 and M-02 pieces as shown, and Glue the M-03 pieces on the outside, lining the holes up, to reinforce the pieces.

This completes Step 38.

Step 39:

[​IMG]

Cut out pieces T-06 and T-07 (2 each)

[​IMG]

Assemble the pieces as shown. Note that the flaps on T-06 remain folded out.

[​IMG]

Applying Glue to the bottom of the T-07 pieces, insert them all the way into the T-06 pieces.

[​IMG]

This completes Step 39.

19. chapsy

chapsy Well-Known Member

Step 40:

[​IMG]

Cut out piece L-04 (2 each)

[​IMG]

Using the assemblies from Step 39, apply glue to the tabs and slide them through hole through the inside. Notice the alignment of the tabs in relation to the L-04 pieces.

[​IMG]

Glue the rest of the L-04 pieces together as shown, leaving the last flap temporarily opened.

This completes Step 40.

Step 41:

[​IMG]

Using the assemblies from Steps 37 and 38, combine the pieces together as shown. Note the direction of the arrows. DO NOT GLUE THE ASSEMBLIES IN PLACE.

[​IMG]

Apply Glue to the bottom and back sides of the newly made assemblies, and insert them into the assemblies from Step 40 until completely inserted. Note the direction of the arrows in relation to the assembly.

[​IMG]

Once everything is dry, close up the last flap on the L-04 pieces.

This completes Step 41.

Step 42:

[​IMG]

Cut out pieces V-04 (2 each) and V-11 (1 each)

[​IMG]

Glue the pieces together as shown. Note that one side of V-11 is left open.

[​IMG]

Applying glue to the bottom of one of the V-04 pieces, insert it into the V-11 piece until it bottoms out. You may have to use a pencil or something similar to push it in all the way. Take the other V-04 piece and apply glue to the sides right near the top of it. Insert it until the top edges of both pieces align.

[​IMG]

Once both pieces are inserted inside V-11, close off the top. This completes Step 42.

Step 43:

[​IMG]

Cut out Pieces V-07 and Y-03 (1 Each)

[​IMG]

Assemble the pieces, and apply glue to the bottom of V-07. Keeping the holes aligned, insert it into Y-03 until it bottoms out. Note the direction of the Arrow in relation to Y-03.

[​IMG]

Get the assembly from Step 42.

[​IMG]

Applying glue to the tabs inside the V-07 piece, insert the rod through the hole until the marks in the middle align with the edges of the Y-03 assembly.

This completes Step 43.

Step 44:

[​IMG]

Cut out pieces V-01 and V-03 (1 each)

[​IMG]

Assemble the pieces as shown, note the flaps on piece V-01 are left folded out.

[​IMG]

Just like in Step 39, apply glue to the bottom of V-03 and insert it into V-01 until it bottoms out, reinforcing V-01.

This completes Step 44.

20. chapsy

chapsy Well-Known Member

Step 45

[​IMG]

Cut out pieces Y-02,Z-01,Z-02,Z-03, and Z-04 (1 each), and Pieces Ye-01, Y-02 (6 each), and Y-03 (2 each).

[​IMG]

Apply the Ye-01,02,and 03 pieces to the marked boundaries on the Y-02, Z-01-02-03,and 04 pieces.

*Note - There are only 4 areas for each yellow marking (except piece Y-02, which only has one.), yet there are 6 Y-01 and Y-02 pieces, and 2 Y-03 pieces. I think the others are extras in case the small parts get lost, but in this case I used the extra pieces to add some depth to the markings on the front. (Z-03 and Z-04 are the front waist armor pieces.). You don't necessarily have to do this, it's just something extra I did*

[​IMG]

Once all the marking are in place, glue the pieces together as shown.

[​IMG]

Cut out pieces Z-05 (1 each) and Z-07 (2 each)

[​IMG]

Assemble the Z-07 pieces as shown. Note that the large flap at the end remains outside of the rest of the box.

[​IMG]

All of the previously assembled pieces in this step, along with the assembly from Step 44.

[​IMG]

Insert the Step 44 assembly through the bottom of piece Z-05, gluing the tabs in place.

[​IMG]

Glue the armor flaps onto their corresponding points. Note the direction of the arrows. The Y-02 piece gets glued onto the front flap on Z-05. Align the top of the box on the back of Y-02 with the top of Z-05.

[​IMG]

Cut out pieces C-08 and C-10 (1 each)

[​IMG]

Assemble them as shown.

[​IMG]

All previously assembled pieces in Step 45, along with the assemblies from Steps 41 and 43.

[​IMG]

Carefully slide the Step 41 assemblies onto the rod on the bottom of the waist. Careful! The fit will be tight! *DO NOT GLUE THE JOINTS IN PLACE!*

[​IMG]

Apply glue to the top of the Step 43 Assembly, and carefully place the assembly with the Waist Armor onto it. Keep the arrows and flaps aligned! After everything is aligned, Glue the Y-02 piece in place on the front of the Step 43 assembly.

[​IMG]

Apply glue to the bottom of the waist assembly, and attach C-10 to it. Try to keep the piece aligned to back-center as much as you can.

[​IMG]

Glue piece C-08 to the back of the waist assembly. Note that the bottom edge of C-08 meets the edge of C-10.

This *FINALLY* completes Step 45!