Chinese Shipping Problems: Slow Customs, or What?

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by Pessimus Prime, Dec 3, 2017.

1. Scourgatron

Scourgatron 4D Smart-ass

News Credits:
    CNE tracking very delayed. You also have a big package. Big packages are slow this time of year.

I'd start to worry closer to the end of the month. I assume show.z is your shipper. work it out with him first.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Evirdrevo

Evirdrevo Well-Known Member

I've been waiting on a package that was shipped around November 15th, but wasn't trackable until the 17th. Processed through Beijing EMS, China FOUR times, the last time on the 24th. Nothing since.

3. Counterpunch?

Counterpunch? Interior Renovator

Ebay:
    Over the past year, I've noticed my packages from China and Hong Kong to be taking 5-7 days to get through customs after arrival. Haven't had one inspected, they just languish there for days.

4. MnemonicSyntax

MnemonicSyntax Macrodata Refinement - SVR'D Access

News Credits:
    I don't know why people are so impatient regarding packages and filing claims. You now have 180 days to file a claim through PayPal. That's nearly half a year.

With Chinese packages, I'd give it two months before I would even start panicking.

They're all inspected, just not necessarily opened. Each is measured and weighed.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Scourgatron

Scourgatron 4D Smart-ass

News Credits:
    Truths? In this day and age? How dare you speak It!

• Like Like x 1
  6. Red leader

Red leader Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    its so busy in China / HK at the moment that most couriers are only allowing each seller / business to ship 300kg per day, each day, its backlogged already so likely to get worse throughout December.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Pessimus Prime

Pessimus Prime Slackerbot Commander

One reason is that your money is tied up, which means missed opportunities. To me, I will be more concerned about a long shipping time if it's a seller that is new to me or relatively untested. With respect to the item that cause me to start this thread, it's my first order from this seller and the seller in question has positive feedback but had not been tried by anyone on this board (from checking the Chinese seller thread), so I'm taking a chance. And what I bought is a figure that is relatively rare, and at a reasonable (i.e. not suspicious or clearly trolling) price. So if it takes 6 months to get here, I'm worried about possibly getting a box of rocks, while I'm also out my $60.00 bucks or whatever, and not necessarily wanting to spend another $60 or more to get it somewhere else, and risking losing out on other opportunities to get that or another item from someone more reputable.

In general, I've been getting my stuff from people like bababobo, netclow, and clothing.2009 within about 2 weeks, usually 10 days. If it takes longer than that it will get my attention, but because I trust them (relatively), I don't get too worked up about it. Past a month, I think one could reasonably think about filing a claim and backing out - certainly after the "estimated delivery date," which is pretty generous, has passed. But with a new seller, yeah, I get antsy.

Also, people just want their stuff. I buy from China because I can get better prices, but the prices are rarely so much better that I want to wait 1-2 months over getting them from TCP or something at a bit of a premium but I don't have to worry about it being lost or a box filled with rocks, etc.

8. deathsheadII

deathsheadII Not a Bounty Hunter yes?

News Credits:
    yeah can be really slow especially if going by sea like my soldier story unicron which has been 4 weeks now and i don't expect it to be here for at least another couple of weeks

9. MnemonicSyntax

News Credits:
    All this is well and good, but it just boils down to patience. Trust isn't even really a concern because if you do get a box of rocks, hey, you get your money back.

To note, I didn't suggest to wait six months either. I said that is PayPal's new time period to file a claim. That being said, two months is probably the most I'd wait before starting to get slightly concerned.

Any of those sellers can go rogue at any time. While experience and time does build up trust, I certainly wouldn't rely on it for any purchases I make over the internet, be it from China or the next state over.

You're free to file a claim past whenever, but China shipping is, par for the course, anywhere between two to six weeks, if not longer on average.

I really think this is just a case of jumping the gun.

There's another solution there. Personally, I think that if you file a claim with what could be a potential future trustworthy member, it not only dings them, but it dings us with future PayPal fee increases. That's why I wait for two months, at minimum, before I consider filing.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Necrobot

Necrobot Mechanoid Vivisectionist

With respect to the "box of rocks" concerns, I think it is true that eventually you will get your refund. However, it's the hassle of filing the claim, sometimes fighting with eBay, PayPal, and then waiting for a hopefully favorable response.

Let's face it... if we could acquire these items in the States, or the UK... we wouldn't probably deal with the suspense thriller that is buying 3P, KOs and even genuine Takara Tomy Transformers from China!!

I work with a guy who ordered FT Stomp last December and received a thin manila envelope with colorful beads.

Previous to this, when I would hear/read these stories, I always thought it was a stereotypical complaint based on Chinese prejudice and akin to fake news... until it happened to him. And this guy also happens to be of Chinese heritage so the irony or poetic injustice was not lost on either of us.

PayPal finally awarded him his refund in March of this year... but the hassle was palpable!!

He returns to China every few years and regales me with stories. A couple years ago he went back to China in November and told me about their 11/11 insanity.

Evidently people order soo much on 11/11 that store-fronts are piled with cardboard boxes. He said that if you stare into a glass storefront, all you see is tan cardboard. I couldn't tell if he was joking but he said that there are risks of box packaging avalanches when the packages are stacked by date instead of weight due to instability... and people have gotten injured. He also was saying that courier services can only accept a finite number of kilograms being sent out each day.

All of these factors likely contribute to the shipping delays that we experience in the months of November and December.

I can be patient... but I wish that the Chinese postal and courier services had a better way to track packages and update us on the statuses... Aaannndd, I hope no one is injured by stacks of our 3rd Party and KO Transformers creating an avalanche!!

11. Necrobot

Necrobot Mechanoid Vivisectionist

Definitely!! Show.Z and Mr. Rubadub really run a tight ship!! It's the couriers and the customs agents that I don't trust this time of year!!

12. MnemonicSyntax

News Credits:
    These are all well known issues when you take the chance of purchasing from another country, especially China, online.

I mean, you take a risk when you do it. Writing about it on a forum post isn't going to make wishes happen, especially when the logistics behind it all is mind-boggling.

It seems that there are some people who don't realize the massive about of packages that leave China alone and they have this idea, perhaps in the back of their minds, that their package is the only one there.

There's a reason buying stuff from China is cheap. There are also other options. Take them or leave them.

Rubadub doesn't do anything except try to get deals. He has nothing to do with who ships out what. At best, he gets the lowest possible discount price.

Beyond that, there are no logistics involved and everything is done second hand.

13. ProtectronPrime

ProtectronPrime Subjectively Objective

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I had no idea that Charlie Brown was a Transformers collector.

14. autobot prowl

autobot prowl Well-Known Member

I've been having issues with sellers taking forever (weeks) to mail stuff lately. They will send a tracking number quickly, but sit on the item for a week to 2 weeks before actually mailing stuff which makes the wait even worse! Driving me nuts. Doesn't help that one package FINALLY arrived in California, only to be sent to Honolulu... I live in FLORIDA!!!

15. MnemonicSyntax

News Credits:
    I can't explain the former part, but the latter isn't the shipper's fault. Once it hits the US it falls to the USPS or whatever carrier is dealing with it.

Still sucks though.

16. Nightwing

Nightwing Well-Known Member

Oh man, THIS. People, don't mark something as shipped if you're going to sit on it for two weeks afterward. Ebay should have rules regarding that practice.

17. timcrook

timcrook Well-Known Member

I also ordered from Baba during the eBay flash sale on November 22nd. My Xtransbot Cyclonus arrived yesterday in West coast Canada.

18. autobot prowl

autobot prowl Well-Known Member

Oh I know, just drives me crazy when the post office does stupid mistakes when a package is already taking forever. I don't blame the seller once it's actually shipped. They just have to actually ship it first!

19. CigarJackal

CigarJackal Cy-gar smoking beast warrior

Ebay:
    4 weeks is not uncommon. If you are getting items from China, you are probably getting them at a pretty good discount in terms of money. That cost is offest by time.

• Like Like x 1
  20. DrCalligari

DrCalligari Does it come in purple?

News Credits:
    I messaged hhim yesterday and he gave me a new tracking number and told me Ibshpuld see movement in a few days... that's a bit frustrating.