China movie-goers say no.

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by bman, Jul 2, 2017.

1. Miyaren

Miyaren Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    That's ok i didn't want to come off strong. I'm actually preplexed by the comment that aoe had less robot screen time than tlk. To talk about make sense or not is irrevelant. Whatever didn't make sense or satisfying to some maybe the opposite due to the language barrier or translation. So I challenge everyone to time the robot time in aoe vs tlk. Just stop watch any time the robots are on screen

2. RHALX

RHALX Well-Known Member

If you are more interested in humans and care chase, I can understand why you like it. Personally I was expecting to watch a movie featuring Transformers for more than a third of its runtime, and it sadly didn't happen.

This failure is well deserved. What saved a movie like rotf was the transformers action / good fights. This movie drags on forever and we barely have any interesting fights/transformations. I'm not even talking about Megatron and Optimus, the first one is pointless and the second one is barely present. I don't know what the hell they were thinking while making this movie.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Miyaren

News Credits:
    So true
    Although I'd say it's not as bad as rotf but equally disappointing. It's funny cos they are both the second chapter of their trilogy.(if it remains a trilogy)
    I'd say there r good robot times in 2/3 but the action is hugely short and unsatisfying. Basically All scenes shown in trailer are the full length of these scenes!!!!

4. Ryan1986

Ryan1986 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Surely they could consider a big budget all cgi movie reboot. I'd lap up a MTMTE like film.

5. Miyaren

News Credits:
    A big budget movie that's all cgi after disappointing box office of tlk? If this movie made 1.5 billion then yes now no

6. Miyako Hakubi

Miyako Hakubi Well-Known Member

Nah, Transformers has always been doing well in China. It's biggest franchises there (FF now take its crown though). TF1 is #1 movie of 2007, ROTF is #2 of 2009, DOTM is #1 movie of 2011 with all time opening record (#2 all time at that time behind Avatar). Even in Taiwan ROTF DOTM AOE are all in all time top 10 box office.
    This is what I hate the most. Talking about box office in a forum that's not particularly about box office. Like we all know big budget blockbusters usually spend hundred millions dollars on marketing, but don't just pull out of your ass random number "they spend 200 millions on marketing". Where is your source for this number? Yeah, every movieneral rule is that to break even the gross must be 2.5x production cost, but studios do not make money from tickets sales only. They also get a lot from post theatrical sales & product placement,... Paramount sold the movie right to China local company for 100 millions dollars + multi guarantee deals so you all don't need to worry about that "only get 25% of box office" .

7. Dmhead

Dmhead Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    'Transformers' Short-Circuits With Shocking 78% Decline In 2nd Weekend

8. Promoney121

Promoney121 Well-Known Member

thats crazy talk.

9. Dmhead

Dmhead Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The 100 million was not a profit for Paramount. They probably used it to cover up their flops from Monster Truck and TMNT 2. Almost forgot Star Trek Beyond. So overall, Paramount will lose money regardless what you Bayfans say.

10. backhawkdown

backhawkdown Well-Known Member

The $100 million would apply to Transformers. Whether Paramount is profitable as a whole at the end of the year across all of their films is irrelevant.

11. Dmhead

Dmhead Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Of course as a whole for Paramount is relevant. The 100 millions isn't going to their pockets. They have to use some of the money for covering up losses in their deparment. Paramount financial situation is concerning, and they thought they were going to hit double jackpot with the Last Knight. You think Paramount will pop the champagnes with those 100 millions? Than you're more naive than I thought. Stop defending a studio that has brought this destruction on to themselves. And stop defending Bay. This man is soley to blame for this.

12. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout Droppin' Space Colonies

He's not innocent but he's not the sole problem - Lorenzo has had nothing but fucking awful ideas for the films (not wanting the robots to even talk in the first one!) and he sounds like a total asshole as well when he doesn't get his way.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Dmhead

Dmhead Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    When Paramount is going to cut down on employees which I reckon will happen regardless, I hope that hack Lorenzo will be the first man out of Paramount's door. Bay won't return and Paramount won't even allow him back after this horrible movie.
    Just look to what happened in WB and DC after BvS and SS. Many of those people behind the movies are now gone and a similar situation at Paramount happening is very likely. I've predicted this many years ago in this board, but everybody dismisses the idea that Bayformers are like some holy grail that are untouchable. Well, there is a saying that nothing last forever.

14. backhawkdown

Stop making up arguments that I haven't made that I have defended Paramount or Bay. The fact that you jump to such an extreme that by disputing you I have defended Bay or Paramount reflects your rationale in addressing the specific arguments that are being made. Your being irrational doesn't make me naive.

The studio can do both -- judge the performance of TLK individually, in which the $100 million applies, as well as judge their financial performance as a whole. The fact that you can't do both only further exemplifies how irrational you are. Nobody argued an extreme that if TLK is even a modest success, or not a huge failure, because of the $100 million that they would pop champagne as if the studio as a whole was successful simply because if that. The fact that you jump to that extreme interpretation of the argument reflects your irrationale and inability to argue an actual position not anyone's naivety on the topic.

15. Miyaren

News Credits:
    Lol what u r saying has nothing to do with tlk. thats same as saying despicable me 3 money is used to cover the mummy flopping. Of coz the studio has every right to spend the money they make

16. Miyaren

News Credits:
    Not if u can read Chinese on their movie boards, talk Chinese with other Chinese about what they think.

17. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout Droppin' Space Colonies

...you do realize that argument makes no sense because The Mummy was a Universal picture, while Despicable Me 3 was an Illumination production that Universal only helped distribute, right?

• Like Like x 1
  18. backhawkdown

Irrelevant. Logic is about the form of the argument in which elements can be swapped out. If the form of the argument is sound it's a logical argument.

Just because these specific movies don't work doesn't mean the argument is flawed. But what you just commited is the logical fallacy of insignificance to distract from the actual point of the argument. All he has to do is substitute the films actually made by the same studio and his argument is true, thus a mistake in the studio doesn't negate the actual point of the argument.

19. ZeroiaSD

ZeroiaSD Autobot

I can see being set in a country help some, but only a relatively small amount, it's not why a film sets records and then it's sequel flops.

My hypothesis is TF does well in China because they love giant robots.

20. Dark Skull

Dark Skull Well-Known Enabler Veteran

News Credits:
    There's no shame in it at all. People like what they like, and not like what they don't.And depending on how much they don't like it, they'll express those sentiments accordingly. Would you rather they be dishonest about it to appeal to how everyone else might feel? Or would you rather they be honest with their own opinions? I prefer the latter.

It's understandable to want a beloved franchise to succeed, but I choose look at it with a different lens. Especially after AOE. To be honest, the prior movies were only entertaining to me. Were they in my opinion, true blockbuster movies in every sense of the term? Not really. But YMMV. They did make a lot of money though. But after a while, when watching these movies again, each sequel really started to feel like it was merely riding on the coat tails of the name itself. There were a lot of things not answered, and forced upon the audience to "theorize." I'll use the last two movies for example. What happened to Galvatron? Did he indeed somehow change back into Megatron? And if so, why was Megatron transforming around as if he was never "rebuilt" with "Transformium?" What happened to the creators? Just how "badass" were these legends supposed to be? Obviously not really much of a badass since Grimlock served to be nothing more than a sideshow comedy when Bay made him into nothing more than a huge metallic pet dog in TLK. The rest of the dinobots? None to be seen after AOE with the exception of what....1 or 2 if I remember correctly. And prime turning into "Nemesis Prime," but not really "Nemesis Prime?" I could probably nit pick some more even though I found more enjoyment in TLK than in AOE. In fact I found no enjoyment in AOE. It was as if they knew AOE's story sucked a huge one and they made TLK to make up for it.

The franchise just needs a crew that can provide a better cohesive story where it doesn't leave so many questions unanswered.

Yeah. I hear ya. You can't have any room for improvement without failure.

I think it can work. I think it boils down to what the studio is willing to do, and how the story is written.