China Ebay Seller Check - New-comers READ FIRST POST!!

Discussion in 'Transformers On Ebay' started by ChromeMagnus, Mar 31, 2016.

1. The Happenin Rhinoceros

The Happenin Rhinoceros TEAM MONKEY PANTS FOREVER

I'm not saying the seller is legit, and the lack of recent sales are definitely odd, but you're comparing apples and oranges. You can't compare Chinese retail prices with US retailers. These prices mostly line up with stores like ShowZ and TF Direct when you add the price plus shipping cost.

2. SJW

SJW Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Trying to see the point of your post to me. Im not the one that needs convincing or comparing apples and oranges.

Excluding shipping for the moment those listings and those prices are a definite red flag for potential buyers.

Taking the shipping prices on there own doesn’t stack up. I’ve bought plenty from EBay/AliExpress (from Chinese sellers) and elsewhere to recognise if something doesn’t sit well. This eBay seller chartering a plane all to itself to ship Superitron.

I’m not comparing Chinese retail with US retail. You won’t get those figures from Chinese sellers on AliExpress for those prices and they have tended to be competitive.

The person that placed that post I responded to asked what people thought. I gave an honest reply. So you would buy from that seller given you want to challenge me on my post?

3. The Happenin Rhinoceros

Obviously not, considering the first line of my reply to you said I'm not arguing the seller is legit. And you were comparing their prices to BBTS and TCP...that is comparing Chinese to US. It's also a very common practice on both Ebay and Ali to drop the price and compensate with higher shipping costs so you appear cheaper, so that in itself is not a red flag. I've bought from plenty of legit sellers who engaged in that practice. Nobody is chartering a plane to ship a Zeta set, the offset is to make up for the discounted price. It's the total number here that is important.

Looking at the feedback, I think a transaction with this seller could go either way, but given the feedback is under 1000 plus a lot of repeated feedback, I'd likely err on the side of caution.

4. SJW

SJW Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Just a simple no you wouldn’t touch that seller would have sufficed for the benefit of the person who asked whether it would be prudent to purchase from that seller. It wasn’t obvious from your previous post and I’m not the one that needed the validation but you clearly wanted to pull me up on the content of my original response to educate me that I wasn’t giving a fair comparison between that seller and BBTS/TCP. Thanks but not necessary. I can find other Chinese sellers who are in the same ballpark as BBTS/TCP to make it a fairer comparison.

I’ve not experienced AliExpress sellers dropping figure prices massively like this Ebay seller and then charging heavily inflated shipping costs which wouldn’t actually be charged at that rate to the seller which they will only pocket the difference. If I’m going to cough up a lot of money that exceeds the value of the product (Superitron being the example) from that seller, I would expect it to go chartered rather than cattle class going around the globe before it gets to me. It’s a shady practice. Shipping costs in the main from China to elsewhere are relatively cheap. I highlighted other factors with that seller. I’m not the one you need to be replying to with the wisdom you want to impart.

5. The Happenin Rhinoceros

You seem to be misunderstanding my intent. I'm not out to get you or harass you. I'm trying to have a rational conversation about a false understanding on overseas pricing practices. That's all

If you're going to give reasons why it's a no, they should be accurate, not based on misinformation. You can't just refuse to acknowledge that shipping inflation to compensate discounts is a fairly standard practice, especially on Ali where sorting by price does not include shipping so it boosts visibility. You have to understand that price is not actually for the cost of shipping, it's shipping plus an offset for the discount which boosts clicks. People are attracted to cheap. If you find it distasteful, fine, don't buy from them. But don't insist it's a red flag when it's really not.

The reason I'm commenting is because I'm pointing out the fallacy in your reasoning which could affect assessment of other legit sellers who use that business model. They exist whether you want to believe it or not.
    Screenshot_20210513-101722_AliExpress.jpg
    By your assessment this is a scam flag. However, GiftLoveStore is one of the best and most reliable sellers on Ali Express.

Last edited: May 13, 2021
  6. SJW

SJW Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    There is no fallacy in my reasoning and assessment. I gave other reasons not just primarily focused on the price/shipping breakdown. Yes my choice if I want to use such sellers carrying out such business practice. I tend to not.

I don’t just assess AliExpress sellers or EBay on total price including the breakdown between product price and shipping costs. My assessment wouldn’t rule out that seller on Ali you have given as an example on just the breakdown of the total price. I would look further than just that.

I look at the feedback from people examining whether the seller has form for not protecting contents adequately as well as problems (delays) on processing. Are they accessible and keeping in contact via message/email systems. I’d look at what items they are selling and whether at the lower value end predominantly with some higher ticket items in the mix or predominantly catering for just collectors. If any breakages have occurred are they receptive to helping out.

I’d rather pay marginally more given a seller properly protecting contents than cutting corners. I appreciate in transit items can get damaged but would rather a seller has made an effort. I’ve experienced the good and bad sellers in going the extra mile protecting orders and those doing very little on both platforms. I keep to sellers I’ve used before. You say GiftLoveStore is one of the best and most reliable. That is your opinion and from positive experiences you have probably had with them. That is great. I’ve had the same from others. Bombusbee being an example. In my opinion I think AliExpress is safer for buyers than EBay. I’ve not experienced any rogue sellers on there (yet) but I have via eBay fortunately not too many. I must be doing something well or just extremely lucky.

The sellers on eBay that don’t quite sit right I’m happy to take a punt on for lower value products. I would always use paypal to give me extra protection on purchases on both platforms.

I’m not disputing shipping inflation is taking place to offset discounts to boost traffic but it’s not a practice that sits well with me. Most people will associate paying more on shipping with a quicker speed of delivery of the order. If I’m paying for more costly shipping in the UK to somewhere in the UK it will be to guarantee I get my order in a more timely manner.

• Like Like x 2
  7. The Happenin Rhinoceros

Gotcha. I think we both understand where each other are coming from pretty clearly now.

And good breakdown on your seller criteria above...I'm sure there are many here who will benefit from the process outline.

• Like Like x 2
  8. Pool5555

Pool5555 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Thanks guys. i am not planning on buying from this seller. To many red flags imo.

Appreciate the insight and I mainly wanted to bring up a suspicious looking seller that has sold succesfully and had past older references from 2019 but no new ones.
    Lots of times these sellers get hacked or sell their accounts to scammers who mark down the cost significantly to catch newbies in the hobby looking by land a great figure for great price, and then disappear with the money and run.
    I myself fell for this years ago and only buy from sellers on the china sellers list now and even then reference their feedback continually as good sellers will sometimes go bad.

• Like Like x 1
  9. The Happenin Rhinoceros

Yeah, they go from reliable to scam faster than you can blink. I feel this one could be legit, but there's enough weird about it to recommend not risking it. There are so many sellers that it usually isn't worth the hassle, even if you aren't concerned about the monetary risk.

• Like Like x 1
  10. HMRC4EVR

HMRC4EVR Well-Known Member

I'm seeing a new account for bababobo00712 with 'light' at the end. Anyone know what the difference between the two accounts are?

11. Goregrinder

Goregrinder Well-Known Member

Anyone got any experience with yjym-50? i know there was some posts from back in october that they'd not been a member for long, but has anyone tried buying from them?

12. sk8erboi

sk8erboi Member

Update on Toyfly2015: I received my order without any issues. They packed it really well with foam panels.

• Like Like x 1
  13. fulipppo

fulipppo Member

14. MF DOOMTREE

MF DOOMTREE Use A Napkin

Ebay:
    YouTube:
    Any news to report?

15. SquishyOH

SquishyOH Votes MPG-07 = Mixmaster

Don't know why they've turned so much of the feedback private. But there seems to be a decent amount of experienced buyers leaving good feedback on a variety of Transformers products. Some brand new buyers, but lots of experienced buyers with lots of feedback of their own. They all look like legitimate sales and happy buyers. One lost package from last year during the pandemic is the only negative I see, and they said they refunded the buyer so don't know why that one negative is even there.

16. fwestivus

fwestivus Well-Known Member

I placed an order with them on 21st April, it got a tracking number on the 22nd with estimated delivery between Mon, 10 May - Wed, 23 Jun. So far no movement on the tracking.
    I'll update if/when it turns up. Fingers crossed it does!

17. fedgez

fedgez Well-Known Member

The order should be delivered today. It is just a few hours away.

HOWEVER, looks like this seller JUST went scammer. So as to what I will receive no longer matters--do not order any longer from quduomoss

Why do these sellers go rouge? Is a couple of hundred dollars really worth it?

18. MF DOOMTREE

MF DOOMTREE Use A Napkin

Ebay:
    YouTube:
    That sucks!! Sorry dude. I ordered a Giga Gutter from a scammer last year and got a bootleg Lego minifig doctor with a mask on. So lame.

19. sk8erboi

sk8erboi Member

Is mr.brian2009 legit?

20. SquishyOH

SquishyOH Votes MPG-07 = Mixmaster

Normally, yes, although I haven't checked his feedback lately. I think there have been some issues with pre-order items. But if it is in-stock then he's normally good. He's actually got 3 or 4 different accounts and if you search this thread you can find what they are and see if any of his other accounts have gone rouge.