Childhood Toys

Discussion in 'The Toyark' started by Venixion, Jun 20, 2017.

1. Slave IV

Slave IV more wealth than you can imagine!

What, you didn't have this?
    [​IMG]
    :p 

• Like Like x 1
  2. soybean56

soybean56 Well-Known Member

I have that same Littlefoot stuffed animal. Love it! Mine's in good shape, unlike my stuffed Raphael TMNT who over the years lost both eyes, his bandana, belt, all but one wrist/ankle wrap, and got chewed on by the family dog. Still hanging in there though :) 

• Like Like x 1
  3. Venixion

Venixion Evil Dust Bunny-con

News Credits:
    Sweet!
    It was all in the name of fighting the Shredder. ;) 

4. Liege Prime

Liege Prime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I have two toys from my childhood- Powermaster Optimus Prime and the original Jedi Knight Luke. Luke is in pretty bad shape and has no accessories, but PMOP is complete. The rest of my toys were given to my younger cousins when I was a teenager. I wasn't happy about that.

• Like Like x 1
  5. koonfasa

koonfasa Well-Known Member

Same as you bro, same as you. Especially the joes, but yeah Slave, that parachute never worked for me either.

When I was real young relatives from Hong Kong would send boxed toys which were kept safe till we were older. From then on I always looked after everything as much as I could. My brother was the complete opposite.

We both got Daimos...
    [​IMG]
    and the broken ones on the left were his.

Kept everything, but I had two major toy purges in my childhood. The first when all those boxed toys stacked high up in mum's closet were all trashed from a burglary. And the second when we moved house. Kept most the cool stuff, but didn't realise mum had given away the Playmobil...

And as far back as I can remember, this is my first toy:
    [​IMG]

Before moving house Vader & Supes were also mantelpiece icons next to a blue clock tower money box I was filling up in the first 13 years of my life.
    [​IMG]
    I'd like to fix Vader one day, but yeah...
    [​IMG] (Only pic I could find of Daimos is with Daltanious, which btw was the biggest badest looking toy ever in the catalogue that came with the former.)
    [​IMG]
    (Hmmm, and the same with Superman - no pics, but my brother and I had the other two as Superfriends(?) action figures, this trio became our iconic superheroes.)
    [​IMG]
    I've upgraded them all.
    [​IMG]
    Multiple times over even...

I had $100 in that money box, and spent it on back issues of Captain America.

• Like Like x 2
  6. koonfasa

Shoot, I got a bit nostalgic there.

• Like Like x 1
  7. NemiMonkey

NemiMonkey Whippin Dem Fungals

News Credits:
    Mmmmm noo it was kind of more like this.......

Kind of remember doing some weird things with my toys back in the day. You know like having my old Toybiz Cyclops dusting my Little Peoples garage with a little feather duster my sister had created with construction paper(Yeah my mom saw that and immediately thought "that boys not right in the head"). I also would "amputate" my joes by removing limbs. Mom asked what was going on once and I just casually told her it they lost it in battle.

The arms on Vader are actually pretty easy to fix.

alternative fix

Oh and a cheaper alternative for a cape replacement.

• Like Like x 1
  8. AMG

AMG Old School

Here are a few childhood toys I have pics of.

IMG_20170422_103500-2.jpg

IMG_20170505_014333-2.jpg

IMG_20170517_003802-2.jpg

Those bots have seen a lot of floor battles.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Venixion

News Credits:
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Venixion

News Credits:

They look great!

11. Slave IV

Awesome history here!

12. Dachande

Dachande Pleasure Toast Moderator TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I've always been blessed/cursed with being able to detach rather easily. From people to possessions, I really don't hold many things on a nostalgic level.

I didn't have much as a kid, but I was fortunate enough to have relatives that liked making a show of giving.

My mother was single since I was a little one, so sometimes holidays didn't happen on a normal scale. I still remember building a cardboard starport for a Millennium Falcon that never arrived. It wasn't her fault, but it's just how things were.

My relatives gifted me with a complete set of the big Shogun Warriors, Legos, Godzilla stuff and other out of reach goodies. I still have the Shoguns boxed up in my mother's attic, the old Legos in a plastic bin and most if the Godzilla stuff in my attic.

Of all the stuff I ever had, three stand out.
    1. The Shogun Warriors Godzilla with the launching fist and flame tongue. I got it for $13 one summer evening from a discount store, right before a power outage. I remember holding on to it during the storm. Made me feel good.
    2. G1 Devastator. Back then, you had to buy the individual pieces. We had to trek around to several stores over a few weeks to finally find all the bots. It was amazing!
    I sold it off a few years back, but ended up buying it back because it just felt right.
    3. Godzilla from the Godzilla Gang collection. This is the one figure that I somehow lost years and years ago, and have regretted it ever since. I actually think the delinquent neighbor stole it, because I loved that figure and would have never lost it. Heck, I can still remember the store I got it from, the price and even the day. It's also the only figure I've never seen since, and will probably never own again. For some reason, I truly miss that figure.

• Like Like x 5
  13. Tekkaman Blade

Tekkaman Blade Professor of Animation

News Credits:
    I have some but my mother loved to give away my old stuff when I was in my teens, (usually weather I wanted her to or not) (If I'm not careful she'll still try to give away my things, she freely volunteers me for things with her friends I don't have time to do and I have to back out of) (As I Have to keep reminding her, She's and Dad are retired I still have a full time Job)
    Gone is the Castle of Lions, My Gi joes, The Thunercats, thundertank,Cats lair,All m yold TMNT toys, the van, the blimp and so on, Castle Greyskull and the He-man figures. My Captain Power collection.
    I had a lot of Toys and bases.

Many though I've replaced with better modern versions, so it doesn't bother me, but some of those old play sets would have probably worked with the new figures as well.

My of my remaining old toys are from College when I caught the collecting bug again. So Beast Wars, MOTU 2002 and so on.

14. Ampere

Ampere Isn't the sharpest crayon

Are those Grand Champions? If that's what those are... I loved them as a kid! I've still got one lone Arabian Mare that survived a donation purge from years ago.

Anyway, I still have a good deal of my childhood toys sticking around. Pokemon toys and Plushies mostly.

• Like Like x 1
  15. koonfasa

Oh wow! Thanks NemiMonkey! I think I still have the cape.

16. Venixion

News Credits:

Yup! :D  I'd love to see your mare?

17. kgorman79

kgorman79 WAVE POUNDER

Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    Yeah, got absolutely loads of them left. Apart from the G1 TF's i've always had out on display, i found a massive box of stuff in my parent attic a year or so ago.
    SO much goodness!

Here's a few pics, the rest are in this Flickr album: Old Attic Toys

[​IMG]Untitled by Kevin Gorman, on Flickr

• Like Like x 2
  18. Rewind

Rewind Data Slug

News Credits:
    Almost all of my best childhood toys met a tragic end in one way or another - which is especially ironic because my dad taught me to take care of my things and I did, immaculately. Despite all of my efforts most of my toys were handed down to nephews and neices who completely destroyed them in less than a year. Transformers, GoBots, Robotech, GI Joe, Star Wars. I had tons of stuff and very little is left. Somehow my Panosh Place Voltron managed to escape the blitzkrieg, along with the pilots. I still have that, and my daughter plays with it now.

The biggest loss cannot be blamed on destructive children however. I had a Powermaster Optimus Prime and I treated it reverently like a holy artifact. I didn't just like playing with the toy, I liked the box and I enjoyed taking the pieces out and putting them back into their places in the package when I was done. It was the ONLY toy package I held onto, and because of this the toy stayed in perfect condition and ended up in a closet away from the other toys and was never given to nephews. So far so good.

Well...one day in college I went to my favorite tobacco/liquor store and noticed that a new store had opened across the street. A used toy store. I walked in and saw all of the old Star Wars toys and things like that and it was the first time I was exposed to the concept that there was a market for old toys. Not long after that, in 'dire need' of beer and cigarette money, I remembered my immaculate Powermaster Prime and I remembered the used toy store. I brought it in thinking it would be worth a lot. The guy looked it over for all of three seconds and said, "Eh, nobody wants Transformers anymore. I'll give you $10."

And can you guess what I did? In a long series of regrettable beers and regrettable smokes, those were those most regrettable. :cry 

• Like Like x 2
  19. Faelon

Faelon Well-Known Member

It's a phase many male children go through in their early to mid teens. Sid from Toy Story is a very true to life character. Somewhere in the boys mind a rejection of kids stuff forms alongside a compelling interest in things exploding spectacularly. Most grow out of it quickly having only suffered the loss of a few toys and typically their eyebrows. Some never grow out of it. Some, such as Michael Bay, make a career out of remaining in that one adolescent moment forever like a pyrotechnic Peter Pan.

• Like Like x 2
  20. Slave IV

Nice "battle Damaged" He-Man! ;) 

$10?! Oh man...1 pack of smokes and a couple beers?:p 

Haha, pretty much. I enjoy firecrackers and fireworks to this day but have a lot of respect for them. When I was a kid, it blew my mind that we could get 1/4 sticks of dynamite and even the small firecrackers were super strong depending on which ones you got. Had to put them to the test.

• Like Like x 1