Chicago might not Chicago despite what Bay says

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by Jimmy88, Jul 19, 2010.

1. Jimmy88

Jimmy88 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Chicago might not be Chicago despite what Bay says

Not sure if anyone else pointed this out but if so just let me know. I just noticed this from this photo I took on set today and from this Chicago might not be Chicago despite what Bay says. You will only agree with me if you are from Chicago and know what Im talking about so here it is. All public transportation in Chicago is known as the CTA("Chicago Transit Authority") and if you can see the bus although upside down it says MTA, what that stands for IM not sure. The bus appears to resemble a CTA bus but even when they filmed the Dark Knight the buses were CTA but instead of CTA it said GTA("Gotham Transit Authority") Let me know your thoughts guys....

[​IMG]

2. Bgrngod

Bgrngod Autocon

News Credits:
    They haven't been using any actual city names in any of the movies so far have they?

No surprise the Chicago filmed footage would be in a fictional city in the movie.

3. Jimmy88

News Credits:
    Well Im kinda conflicted on that because they call Los Angeles "Mission City" in the first film yet when Sam goes to college and meets Leos internet buddies who find the Shanghai footage one replies "Yeah just like the robots in LA two years ago." Im guessing that that was LA and Mission City was maybe a top secret NEST nickname for it. I doubt Chicago would have another name but what got me thinking was this bus......

4. NCStarscream

NCStarscream Me Grimlock cute

News Credits:
    I know they mention Philadelphia by name when Mikaela takes the flight in ROTF.

But yeah, I was expecting Chicago to be used as a generic urban area because of the "Mission City" thing, despite the references to L.A. in ROTF.

5. marshall dusty

marshall dusty Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    MTA is in new york....
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metropolitan_Transportation_Authority_(New_York)

also, it may or may not be fictional chicago. but that bus is not your typical cta bus, so they probably rented the bus and painted with a typical cta scheme. maybe they couldn't use cta as part of the paint scheme due to copyright issues or they just didn't want to pay cta to use their name in the movie.

also, in some of the pictures, you see the chicago police cars clearly labeled chicago police.

also i noticed the 'font' of the chicago police wording is different. it's almost like it's painted on a car they mimicked a CPD car. or a sticker.

real cop car,
    http://congresschicago.com/files/chicago_police_car_horiz.jpg

movie chicago cop car
    http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/trans...dates-tf3-filming-chicago-17.html#post4989293

also, notice the squad lights on the movie cop car. it's blue and red almost like a traditional police car. but a chicago police car have all BLUE LED's.

lastly, all cars filmed in chicago have Illinois license plates.

so i think it's chicago

6. Metallitron

Metallitron Decepticon of Malice

News Credits:
    Good Point!!

7. Starscream NZ

Starscream NZ Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Shanghai, Philly, Qatar and LA were all mentioned officially, and judging by the rest of the props we've seen it's likely that this WILL be Chicago.

But then again, Qatar wasn't actually Qatar.

8. Fit For natalie

Fit For natalie tfwiki nerd

News Credits:
    The LA thing from ROTF was just the film makers screwing up. Mission City was a made-up non-descript city in Nevada, possibly standing in for Las Vegas, which was used in the novel (which itself was probably based on an earlier version of the script).

But yeah much of LA's skyline and downtown was used for shooting the Mission City sequences, with some of Detroit and sets on the Paramount backlot.

9. HighCaptSpock

HighCaptSpock Autobot Logician

News Credits:
    Was it an error by the film makers, or was Sector 7/NEST successful in distorting and misdirecting the information? Perhaps they staged actual training exercises in several cities (including LA) to help cast doubt on any "giant robot" sightings from Mission City.

Alternatively, as the wiki suggests, the similarity between Mission City's skyline and LA's skyline might have been the source of confusion for Leo and his minions.

Though, it was probably just an error.

10. Jimmy88

News Credits:
    OH man I noticed those exact points too, especially with the cop cars, I thought about the chicago cop cars and thought, following seeing the bus, that those are just used for stunts without recognizing the name on screen(kinda like pointing out flaws on screen)but I did not know about the MTA in New York...interesting....but yeah it could be the copyright issues as well.......I am hoping the Chicago is Chicago, and if not I would rather them not mention the name of the city rather than make up a fictional name for it.......

11. ServO

ServO Seeker (I look for stuff) Super Mod

News Credits:
    MTA???
    That's easy..
    Metroplex Transit Authority...
    Give the big guy some chicken legs, and a head like a deformed bird and we're in business.
    Thank You Michael Bay.
    Or no?

12. x BlackMagnus x

x BlackMagnus x Is not impressed

News Credits:
    I highly doubt that any real transit buses would be destroyed for the movie anyways. Junkers made-up to look like them yes, actual ones, I don't think so. Shit, if we are going to start pointing out plot holes already...

13. uruseiranma

uruseiranma Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    When they were filming down La Salle St, my co-worker and I were looking over the cabs, and one of them had a cab company name of a suburb where I used to work in, so they are throwing little bits of reference into the setting.

Even the singed flags waving down by the Board of Trade were the Chicago flags.

Maybe Bay and Dreamworks didn't want to pay the CTA their demands to destroy a CTA bus...or maybe it's like those situations where a company or service doesn't want their logo associated with something like a bombed-out bus.

In The Dark Knight, there was a bus with CTA colors, but they changed the logo to read 'GTA.' (most likely for Gotham Transit Authority).

14. marshall dusty

marshall dusty Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    yeah, it did say GTA, funny i think it was CTA but they put a sticker on the C so it looked like a G. but yeah. i think it's about paying and getting a real bus to blow up.