cheap toyworld headmasters - KO or clearance?

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by deruberhanyok, Nov 10, 2016.

1. deruberhanyok

deruberhanyok Likes the G2 neon lights

Hardbone, Brainwave and Swamper are being listed by multiple sellers on ebay right now for under $40 each. I was tempted to pick them up at BBTS' $60 clearance price, but this makes it even more tempting.

Does anyone know if these were KO'd? Or is it just sellers trying to clear out stock that isn't moving anymore?

2. OriginalFire

OriginalFire Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Might be a scam. No news of KOed Toyworld headmasters

3. koonfasa

koonfasa Well-Known Member

They've been around for ages, and with FP, MP and TR having a go, they are prolly being clearanced or swapped out for the new ones.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Flash1087

Flash1087 Department of False Hope

Ebay:
    Brainwave specifically has been getting real cheap lately, I think I got mine for $50 shipped from a dude in a Facebook group earlier this year. I imagine the fact these characters are starting to actually appear again in other forms might be driving the cost down; I imagine a lot of their previous value came from the fact there weren't a lot of representations of these guys beforehand.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Scaleface

Scaleface Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    They have been showing up cheap on Aliexpress too.

6. deruberhanyok

deruberhanyok Likes the G2 neon lights

Yeah, I figured that might be the case. Seemed odd that they would show up as KOs now with the Hasbro figures all over the market, lots of effort for a factory to go to.

7. Scaleface

Scaleface Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I don't think they are KOs.

8. LBock

LBock Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I sold my Toyworld headmasters for around $40 eBay earlier in the year. There isn't a ton of demand for them since they aren't going to finish the line.

9. Max Tower

Max Tower Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yeah they can be pretty cheap now - not so much the Crocodile but The Autobot ones can be really cheap. I bought a couple of extra ones just in case of breakages as they were so cheap.

It seems a bit foolish to not make at least a couple more but I guess Hasbro tread all over their toes on these.

Perhaps these Manufactures need to think outside the box and make Nightbeat or Minerva instead of the someone's everyone else makes.

I actually kinda like them as they are a nice size - but they did have some little design niggles that I can see how they would have put people off - they might be best described to be 3rd party toys made before they all decided to raise their game a bit in 2015-16.

10. primalxconvoy

primalxconvoy グーグル 翻訳は素晴らしいです!

News Credits:
    Be careful with Brainwave; my one's wing snapped off at the tiny little tab that connects it to the rest of the figure. It is a huge design flaw to have so much hanging off of such a tiny piece of plastic.

PicsArt_1451216925911.png

Last edited: Nov 12, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Windsweeper II

Windsweeper II The Pristine

News Credits:
    Infinitor was great. Swamper isnt the greatest 3P effort: aside from the questionable decission to make his G1 accurate robotmode partsforming, the figure is very fiddly and the way the legs are built isnt the best design. I havent handled the Autobots. All of them are indeed on clearance wherever i look. I dont feel they where fishing in the same pound as Hasbro's TR toys as these where a bigger size. Fansproject however was fishing in the same pond with a very similar size and they are still continuing their series. I think the reason they discontinued the line despite the great quality of Infinitor was because bad sales and i think that was because the designs prior to Infinitor werent very good.

12. Windsweeper II

News Credits:
    Take note MMC

13. primalxconvoy

News Credits:

MMC?

14. Max Tower

News Credits:
    MMC's hips skirts keep breaking they need to learn to make those parts in two halves and ideally with metal hinges.
    Heck the sensible thing to do might be to make hip skirts out of a rubbery plastic.

I was hoping some one might home-cast the attachment points for Toyworld's brainstorm's wings out of a strong resin or metal. since they tend to crumble.

I would suggest to anyone buying a new one - DO NOT KEEP THE WINGS ON THE HINGES - instead gently wiggle them off the joint and put them in the screw holes on the back of his shoulders instead this not only is more character accurate it avoids any stress on those hinges as you never even need to move them then when he's being used in robot mode.

15. Windsweeper II

News Credits:
    MMC's designs almost invariably look georgeous but i have a love/hate relationship with the company for the way they tend to build their figures out of comparatively thin plastic pieces, use elaborate transformations, and often comparatively large and/or heavy pieces move on hinges that challenge my nerves.
    They are not the only company this applies to but it does seem to be a house style.

16. primalxconvoy

News Credits:
    Oh, I see. I just refuse to ever buy Toyworld products again. Likewise for KFC (and their "x" whatever line they are). Simply vote with your wallet. It worked with Xovergen; they disappeared after their awful GI-Joe OPs and equally failtastic Non-Powermaster Prime, ahem, "upgrade" kits...

17. Windsweeper II

News Credits:
    The problem is MMC often win me over with their beautifull designs ;)  i got Jaegertron and Kultur on pre-order even though Jaegertron seems to take lots of critisism from people who normally rave over Mmc's figures.
    On the whole i think its as much hit and miss with any third party company as it is with Has/Tak, you just have to watch the reviews before you buy.
    I love Toyworlds Infinitor and am interested in getting their Hegemon if i ever find him but seeing as they've turned MP now just like so many others i dont see myself buying much of them anymore myself.

18. Max Tower

News Credits:
    Toy World seems to make some bad choices in materials and get tolerances or designs of joints wrong.
    Fansproject toys seem to be a combination of stupidly tight and insultingly loose pieces. duplicated parts left-to-right and sharp edges
    MMC toys seem to be overly fussy and have some issues with clearances during transformation (I.e Hextatron's legs & head)
    TFC - issues with sharp edges, slightly poorer plastic and some floppy joints. and the odd bad joint design, some use of duplicated parts between toys.
    KFC/X-Transbots though they are getting much much better lately there has been issues with paint scraping and joint looseness and some issues with having to bend things past other things to actually be able to Transform them.
    Perfect Effect - some problems with material choices and fragility and general fiddlyness.
    Also iGear when they were around some characters couldn't hold their own weapons, or had impossible Transformations that risked breaking them.

Some quirks can be dealt with - some just make you think you wasted your money - like the exploding knees on the TFC LeoKaiser that just isn't great.