Cheap places to eat??

Discussion in 'Transformers Conventions and Get Togethers' started by Master Zarak, Mar 15, 2008.

1. Master Zarak

Master Zarak Emperor of Destruction

Ebay:
    Anybody know of some affordable places to eat within walking distance of the convention centre? As usual, the hotels are too expensive to eat at everyday. I'm aware there is a food court at the nearby shopping centre, but they may not be good for breakfast. Any advice on this would be appreciated.

2. Dreweido

Dreweido Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Yeah I would like to know as well... although you usually find out whence you get there.

3. kronos

kronos PSN = METROPLEX_84

News Credits:
    well, that all depends on what you want! I will make a few suggestions of places to eat at while in cincy!

1. Goldstar - Coney dogs that are awsome! (my fave between goldstar and skyline). They have a burrito thats awsome!

2. Skyline - The original cincy style coney. Try a 3way!

3. Larossas - its a bit more expensive for pizza, but its damn tasty! (get the Topper, great pizza)

4. Montgomery Inn - BEST BBQ in ohio! Its not cheap. But not super expensive either. Bob Hope would have their ribs flown to wherever he was. I recommend the BBQ chicken sandwich with bacon, lettuce, and tomato with kitchen chips (thick potato chips)

And their is a plethora of all you can eat places. I mean this is ohio!

4. Deefuzz

Deefuzz Beard On! Beardmaster! Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Damn. I had forgotten all about Skyline and Goldstar.

Shit that brings me back.

5. Baccala1976

Baccala1976 Well-Known Member

Don't you gotta pay extra for that?

:lol 

I kill me.

6. kronos

kronos PSN = METROPLEX_84

News Credits:

LOL, if you want THAT kind of 3way, you can drive around Covington Ky. LOTS of girls their put out!

7. Blackout05

Blackout05 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    There is a wendy's on 4th street

8. hockeygamer40

hockeygamer40 Autobot Hockey Player 40

News Credits:
    I answered this same question in other threads but here we go again! :) 

Top Ten Food Places Worth Going To Downtown from the Convention Center

1 - It's worth saying again -- Skylines are all over the place downtown. Definitely worth the stop!

2 - Fountain Square -- Safe walking distance from the convention center, it features a Graeter's Ice Cream restaurant and other restaurants including a steakhouse.

3 - Tower Place Mall -- Typical mall but very tiny for a large metro city mall; has a food court with the usual suspects for eating; S'barro's, Subway, Chick-fil-A, the normal Chinese and Vietnamese homemade restaurants, and other places. Don't forget the mexican restaurant too!

4 - Scotti's -- Homemade Italian food ! Yum ! -- Seats go quick in this place since it's tiny but it's worth the visit.

5 - There are restaurants around the mall's exterior including QUIZNO's --> friends of mine run that one, and I've always left satisfied.

6 - First Watch breakfast/lunch - A little distance away but worth checking out; same chain as the one in Orlando, FL

7 - Izzy's Famous Corned Beef -- 'nuff Said ! They are locations around Cincinnati outside of downtown (e.g., Fairfield/Forest Park) if you are not staying downtown.

8 - Cincinnati has a lot of buffet style Indian restaurants; the one that was open near 7th and Vine was good.

9 - Hofbrauhaus Newport - German food and drinks
    (but don't go to the Irish Pub in Newport based on my miserable experience).

10 - It's a walk but Burrito Joe's on 4th St is really good eating! But the lines are long if you arrive after 11:15 am and before 1 pm during the lunch rush.

Hope this helps! You're getting a lot more info than I did when I went to Botcon 2007 because I ate at Seekonk more than Providence. The hotel was near a lot of the typical chain restaurants.

9. ChaoCatcher

ChaoCatcher Anarchist Autobot

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Okay, being an Okie/Texan, I have a question for the Cincinnati locals, since kronos pointed out this Skyline place... what *IS* a Cincy-style coney? I grew up near a little town called El Reno, Oklahoma, that's famous for fried-onion burgers and coneys which have a special type of cole slaw on them - very finely-chopped cabbage, mixed with LOTS of mustard, sugar and a bit of pepper - perfect mix of sweet and spicy! VERY tasty grub! :D 

So now I'm curious about a Cincy-style coney. I'll have to check it out when I'm there - can you give me a clue of what to expect?

10. hockeygamer40

News Credits:
    Good question. Sorry I could not respond to it sooner than I actually read it due to scheduling issues.

Skyline Chili is based using cinnamon and chocolate/cocoa instead of Texas style spices, beans, and/or vegetables. It's a little on the runny side, and it does not have an immediate kick -- it has more of an aftertaste with a subtle kick.

The coney itself is made of a smaller than normal hotdog in a fitted bun, the chili poured on top, and topped with shredded cheddar cheese and onions.

Both Goldstar and Skyline make this type of chili and sell coneys, but their recipes do differ. I like Skyline better, but my mom served Texas style at home. :) 

11. ChldsPlay

ChldsPlay Well-Known Member

I use a bit of cinnamon in chili...but chocolate? That just seems strange.

12. Freyabeads

Freyabeads TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Unsweetened cocoa powder is awesome in chili. Just a tablespoon or so in a whole pot is all you need but it deepens the color and adds great flavor.

13. ChaoCatcher

ChaoCatcher Anarchist Autobot

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Hmm, cinnamon and cocoa in the chili... sounds intriguing. Can't wait to try it next month - thanks for the info, hockeygamer40! :D 

14. hockeygamer40

News Credits:
    You're velcome :D 

I just heard about Spaceballs: The Animated Series coming out, so I have a lot of stuff to talk to you all about when come to town!

Look for the guy wearing a hockey jersey with #40 on it. That be me. =)

15. videriant

videriant Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Spaceballs the animated series!!!! Haven't heard of that. Linky???

16. videriant

videriant Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Repeat: please delete.

17. hockeygamer40

News Credits: