Charticon Cancelled

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by thewiredknight, Jul 2, 2014.

1. Bigbot3030

Bigbot3030 Well-Known Member

I'm of course speculating, but that sounds to me like the very thing that made it fold. Going big is not cheap, and it looks like it caught up to them. I, like everyone else, hope that they will be able to continue this in the future at some point and wish everyone involved the best of luck.

2. bithomas

bithomas Seeker of Seekers

I think this sums up my feelings exactly.

While I knew most of the people involved in organizing the show, I didn't know the exact financials, but I did know that the show was dead for 2015 once the funding goal wasn't reached. I'm proud to say that I was one of the supporters, and I would gladly do so again because the 2013 show was such a fantastic experience. The show certainly appeared to be well-attended, so that makes it even more sad that it couldn't be enough of a financial success to carry forward. As much as I loved the guests from 2013, *IF* having them was a big part of the cost, I honestly would have been happy with having fewer or possibly even no guests. The show really was about community and meeting with local Transformers fans, and while I'm sure the guests are a draw, hopefully other events could have been organized to help mitigate that. As it was, even with the show being as relatively small as it was, I still didn't have time to do everything I wanted.

Knowing all this, I'm even more thankful that Charticon happened at all and turned out as well as it did!

3. PlanckEpoch

PlanckEpoch Just a regular old plumbus

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    YouTube:
    New conventions could learn a lot from a particular MLP convention that crashed and burned hardcore last year. Las Pegasus Unicorn was a great example of a first time convention that wanted to do big, huge things and that bit the organizers in the ass.

In general start ing conventions need to start small and spend the first few years growing a base as a the first priority. It sounds like a good idea to have big name guests and exclusive toys but look where that got Charticon.

4. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    Wished I could have went.

5. Arkvander

Arkvander Optimal Optimist

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Instagram:
    Hi everyone,

Thank you all for the wonderful comments. As the primary organizer for the show, I was the one who was responsible for deciding if we should continue or not. Originally we were only going to do one show, there was only talk of a second once the 2013 show was over. But we knew going in that there was no way to make a profit if we held the show the way we wanted. We are fans first and businessmen second so if there was something that would improve the show while costing us a little more we usually decided for it. We wanted a very polished show, because I felt to do otherwise was a disservice to the fans. We knew that if we were going to do another one in 2015 and keep the same level of quality, which was a requirement of mine, that we had to find another way to fund it. Unfortunately it just didn't work out, but we accomplished the goal we originally set out to do, which was put on an amazing Transformers fans convention. I wish we could do Charticon every year, and if I ever hit the lottery then there's a good chance it will happen, but until that day I'll just say thanks for all the support that you've shown us. The community embraced and helped us in more ways than I can count and it just goes to show what you can accomplish when we all come together.

'Til All are One

-Eric

6. flywheels

flywheels Decepticon Assault Team Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I echo Arkvander's words! I was asked if I'd like to help organize and help w/ the show and looking back I can't believe everything we accomplished collectively. I've been to the old Botcons, OTFCC and Fun Pub's Botcons, and Charticon was the most fun I've had in a very long time. It was a lot of hard work, but man was it a lot of fun! Thanks again for all the kind words and the support.

7. DumpsterJ

DumpsterJ Well-Known Member

If I win the lottery im funding it too . Seriously

8. Bruticus82

Bruticus82 Well-Known Member

I was never able to attend, but gladly bought the non-attendee exclusives to show my support.

I hope you manage to make this show come back in some shape or form.

9. allew

allew Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I wasn't able to attend but I was glad to be able to get the Baleful (Spinister) head and Snipenose (Needlenose) custom kit. Missed out on Aftershock (Quake) figure, kudos for such a nice convention exclusive with a beautiful old school G1 styled box

10. Hollywood Hoist

Hollywood Hoist Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    This is exactly what myself and my team are doing, we are starting small, the money we make will be used to grow the convention. We are doing an exclusive but we are doing it ourselves and not relying on any other company.

11. worldsgreatest

worldsgreatest Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I echo the sentiments of most of the people on this thread. Charticon was a ton of fun. I basically went by myself (driving down from PA) and not knowing anyone still had an absolute blast.

Sad news indeed.

12. PlanckEpoch

PlanckEpoch Just a regular old plumbus

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    YouTube:
    Exactly. I'm not saying Charticon was bad or anything, but I think the way they went about it wasn't sustainable. They came out swinging, which is nice, but we see that this meant they ran into the money road block.

13. Brokenn77

Brokenn77 Autobot Wrecker

I am sorry to hear this. Last years Charticon was my first and only convention thus far and I was planning to attend again next year. I had lots of fun and spent LOTS of money. Was looking forward to doing it again. I guess it was too good and too convenient to last.

14. Cascadia

Cascadia Mt. St. Hilary

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Charticon was fun when I went to it. It is sad to see it retired but I can understand how hard it would be to put a convention on, funding-wise. Kudos to the organizers to put on an amazing, well-polished show.