Characters you wouldn't mind Hasbro permanently killed off

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by ErickCruz, Jun 25, 2021.

1. Ramberk Magnus

Ramberk Magnus Well-Known Member

Huh? What's your point? Nemesis is a Greek goddess. Artemis is also a Greek goddess. If you want to use mythical names for characters, you don't need to call the male character Artemis-- just use Apollo. The two are twins. I don't know if Nemesis has a male equivalent though. Or you can just use any name for any gender if you prefer that too.

• Like Like x 1
  2. volatus

volatus Aristocratic Airborne Decepticon

I have to wonder why they never do Blaster anymore. There was a SW vs Blaster gift set a couple years ago but where's my Kingdom Voyager or Leader Blaster and Autobot Cassette Warriors?

As for my answer, I first need to ask something like "Is the real title of this thread 'which characters do you hate?'" because I see answers like Wheelie and Hot Shot--characters who have by no means ever hogged the spotlight in the long view the way some of the 84 cast has--and characters like Windblade and Drift, who people hate because of social issues, who are also not particularly over-represented.

Anyway, I think regardless of who's removed or not, the series needs new and worthy core characters with modern, Earth alt modes that are interesting and functional takes on modern vehicles and household objects. How long it's been since a NEW, creative character format like Soundwave \ Blaster or Perceptor? We get Botbots instead, and effectively commercials for the latest hot, unaffordable car. Remember, most of the Autobots were not luxury cars and top-of-the-line $50,000+ variants of their body types, as the Bayverse gave us.

But for the sake of this thread, I'd retire Wheeljack; his ending could be some sort of "I have to become part of the system to fix the system" thing where he goes Golden Throne like the God Emperor of Mankind and ceases to be conscious, instead becoming some sort of network maintenance node for Cybertron's sake.

I'd also retire Bumblebee, despite the thread saying I can't. He has over 300 unique toys. He's the star of most modern Transformers media. It's not interesting and it doesn't work, not even for my small kids. He needs to set sail for another galaxy to spread peace and justice and then die on the way back to his home planet with no last words and no monument built to remind us of him.

Lastly, I think the concept of female Cybertronians needs reinventing. If we're going to have sexual dimorphism akin to sapient organic humanoids, we need an explanation for this that meshes with the relevant origin story. In Quintesson Origin it makes sense because they were consumer products meant for a variety of roles and tasks; female ones being servants and entertainers and such. But I would retire all of the existing female characters except Shadowstriker, Slipstream, and Bludgeon (as all 3 of these characters do a good job breaking away from the G1 Female Cybertronian mold).

When I said Bludgeon I was thinking of Clobber

Last edited: Jun 26, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  3. ErickCruz

ErickCruz Well-Known Member

Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    My initial post didn't say you couldn't mention BB (and Optimus and Megatron) I said you didn't have to mention him since they would be popular choices (to get rid of) so they would be phased out automatically and not worry about picking them.

Also, the thread is not intended to be a hate thread, though people may see an opportunity for naming characters they dislike, the intent is to start thinking outside the box and allow for more creative freedom (either in the toy line or other tie-in media) by not confining the toy lines (and/or stories) around the same circle of characters.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  4. GrimCharr

GrimCharr SciFi Geezer

Thinking about characters, it's of course hard to say Bumblebee, Optimus Prime, Soundwave, etc. You could in theory do a complete reboot with characters that have not been done before. Even with all new characters. But nobody is pining for SpiderMan without Peter Parker. The brand is what it is. I can certainly imagine main characters done differently than they typically have been.

I actually prefer Bumblebee as the friendly little-guy scout from G1, and any of the dozen other iterations could have been any other almost random characters. He's a G1 character who has been over-used, but has little or nothing to do with his actual G1 character. His character in the Bay films or cartoons could have been HotRod or Hound or Sideswipe or Chase or Rapido, etc.

Starscream is almost always portrayed as a lone character, when I would prefer to see him specifically in the context of being with his group of air seekers. Something other than sniveling and ineffective.

I'd like to see certain concepts ditched that are always brought up that I think write the stories into corners.
    1) Unicron/Primus being actual physical things rather than mythology
    2) The idea of the original Primes being tyrants and setting everything into motion.
    3) The "endless war" trope for the history of Cybertron
    4) Facial hair (or any hair) implied on robot sculpts. Even as a kid I thought that was turbo dumb.

5. KFGatri

KFGatri Madman with a Blue Box

Ebay:
    The ones who come to mind for me are Artemis Crock and Artemis of Bana-Mighdall. Both women. I can't recall any male characters named Artemis, and I think I would if I'd seen one because it would be a WTF moment for me.

6. SG Roadbuster

SG Roadbuster SG Wrecker

News Credits:
    well, the idw books had a pretty good idea with Anode and Lug. Cybertronians that left cybertron, interacted with organic races that have sexual dimorphism, and deciding that they like female identity/pronouns.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Bass X0

Bass X0 Captain Commando

News Credits:
    Movie Brains

• Like Like x 2
  8. Bass X0

Bass X0 Captain Commando

News Credits:
    doesn’t make them physically female. There’s no such thing as male, female or transgender transformers because they are robots with no biological organic sex organs.

There are masculine and feminine personalities though. When we refer to transformers with gendered pronouns, we are saying the character has a masculine or feminine personalities. Nothing to do with “what’s in their pants”.

9. Prime Noble

Prime Noble Well-Known Member

Alpha Trion
    Orion Pax
    Rattrap
    Bulkhead
    G1 Bumblebee
    Kup
    Wheeljack
    Perceptor
    Windblade
    Drift
    Black Arachnia
    Airachnid
    The Insecticons
    The Wreckers
    The Witwickys

• Like Like x 1
  10. Terrorpin

Terrorpin Well-Known Member

Transformers has been more of a "5 Man Band" type brand the past few decades.. arguably most incarnations except G1 and Cyberverse. Usually you have The Leader, The Youth Element, The Muscle, The Science Guy, and one slot that seems to shift, between Token Female or Loner Badass, and sometimes combines the two. Usually as the series progresses, more characters are added. That's where we see the diversity element come in. "Season 2" characters shake up the formula and challenge the status quo, providing growth to our core.

Now, the 5 man band can definitely be switched up a bit. God knows Transformers has a HUGE cast.. And it has been, really. I'd say Bumblebee hogs the youth element slot now purely because people expect him to, but then we have Ratchet, our perennial science guy, taking a back seat in Cyberverse. There will be people who say the core cast is the core cast for a reason, but think of the energy each character brings. The dynamics change and let us see something new. Like how Ratchet is an old friend to Optimus, but Wheeljack is the mad scientist who tests Optimus' patience. I wouldn't mind letting Ratchet retire for a bit and having Wheeljack there. But give or take a few years and it might be nice to have him back.

Or we could get something completely different, like Perceptor or Brainstorm, which I think is the heart of the issue here. Back in 2015, they minimized the science guy role (literally and physically) with Fixit. He was a bit quirky, yes, and his design.. wasn't great... So the chances of that character coming back probably aren't good.

When you do something different.. rather than doing it just for for the sake of doing something different, tell a good story with it. You may see it again sometime. If it's forgettable or doesn't reach the audience right, you probably won't. Hell, sometimes you get something great that you never see again, like Animated Prowl. So there are no garauntees.

• Like Like x 3
  11. worldsgreatest

worldsgreatest Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Shockwave

12. Shepard Prime

Shepard Prime 1st Cybertronian Spectre of the Galactic Council

Artemis Fowl

Artemus Gordon too but since it's not the exact spelling I doubt you'll count it. :D 

13. KFGatri

KFGatri Madman with a Blue Box

Ebay:
    And I feel compelled to say, as above "WTF?". Artemis is a goddess' and therefore a woman's name. Using it for a guy just sounds wrong. Is there at least some commentary on the name in universe?

14. Terrorpin

Terrorpin Well-Known Member

Artemis Entreri in Forgotten Realms. Not a guy I'd want to taunt over having a girly name...

15. volatus

volatus Aristocratic Airborne Decepticon

Possibly done by people who don't know the history of the name and because Art, Artem, Arthur, etc. are very popular names.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Girl Pants

Girl Pants aka brickonator

News Credits:
    I don't think there's any characters I'd want gone forever. I do think there are *versions* of characters that could really use a break.

Revolutionary-turned-despot Megatron has been done in way too many series now, and it almost starts to seem like it gets less well executed each time.
    No-fun, stoic-speeches-only Optimus, likewise.

And I'm not calling for wild "in-name-only" revisions. I just like it when you can point to each incarnation of the same character and have some unique points to make about each. For example, you could see a written quote from G1 or TF:p rime Optimus and probably be able to tell which one it was. Could you tell apart IDW, Machinima and WFC Trilogy Optimus nearly as easily? Probably not.

...some of this is just me longing for the 2000's era where the brand and characters practically got reinvented every 1-3 years. You had no real clue what next year's Prime would be like outside of the vague idea of being a truck good guy leader of some kind. Sure, that would lead to misses sometimes, but at least it didn't feel repetitive or stagnant.

17. Riddler87

Riddler87 Everything's a puzzle

Gears

18. Effigy

Effigy Well-Known Member

I’m a G1 guy, so if they killed off anyone from any line after that I wouldn’t personally care, but I know plenty of people would, so I say ‘nobody’. Every Transformer is somebody’s favorite.

Except for Huffer who obviously just sucks.

19. Oceanus Prime

Oceanus Prime Beyond your wildest desperation.

You know what, I'll stand up for Huffer. He's annoying sometimes, but I think his design is pretty neat, and, unlike roughly half of the g1 autobots, he has a pretty distinct personality. He's thoroughly unlikeable, but unlike other annoying characters, he's supposed to be a jerk in-universe. I'll take Huffer over 20 Autobot cars who stand around and don't do anything.

20. Effigy

Effigy Well-Known Member

His Kingdom toy is incredible. I really like that figure!

• Like Like x 1