Characters you think the 'new name' is better

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Suboptimal Optimus, Aug 9, 2020.

1. pilot00

pilot00 Well-Known Member

Even in fantasy an able mind can filter through information and situations and assess the good the bad and learn a thing or two.
    Nothing is black & white.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Dolza_Khyron

Dolza_Khyron Well-Known Member

So, you try to tell me that nothing is ever black and white, while making a very black and white statement.

Good job.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2020
  3. pilot00

pilot00 Well-Known Member

Υουr abilities to process the written word and how easy it is to trigger you, does not surpass my 5 year nephew.

Good job.

4. Bass X0

Bass X0 Captain Commando

News Credits:
    I tend to deadname Transformers.

5. ObakaChanTachi

ObakaChanTachi woke among sussy soyjak

News Credits:
    Not sure if this counts but Dreadlock > Drift, period. Jetfire didn't change his name, not sure why Drift had to. Do all Autobots need to have passive, non-threatening names by default or something?

6. Coffee

Coffee (╭☞ꗞᨓꗞ)╭☞

News Credits:
    I’ve been deadnaming Skytread as Flywheels just because it’s what I’m used to him being called, yet it hasn’t been until this thread that I’ve realized Skytread really is a more fitting name for the guy.
    I think it was actually Drift > Deadlock > Drift. Megatron named him Deadlock because his name was too passive and non-threatening apparently. I agree though, his christening was essentially just something to make him standout as a turncoat.

7. Rodimus Primal

Rodimus Primal Well-Known Member

Facebook:
    Twitter:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Most of the time I absolutely abhor the name changes as the original usually has a purpose, especially if they were named by Budiansky.

For example, Bluestreak is the better name. Sure he ended up being silver, but his NAME has nothing to do with the color of the car. Bluestreak talks a LOT, hence the term "talk up a blue streak." When he was named it still had relevance. After all, Ironhide even called it out. "Quit yapping Bluestreak, this is MY fight!" Naming him Silverstreak was merely done for trademark. They got the name back and its how it SHOULD be. I don't mind there being two toys of him either. Maybe his blue color is a powered up version of himself.

Slag. This one is a biggie. One for trademark and two for people in the UK getting offended over their weird slang terms. The actual word means molten metal, which goes in line with the Dinobot's ability as a FLAMETHROWER! However it means slut in the UK and people get their underwear in a twist. It's just like a British slang for cigarette is an offensive word here in the US. If they have to call him Slug for the trademark its understandable, but to me he is ALWAYS SLAG! The fact that it is offensive fits the character even MORE! "Me Slag say you full of Berryllium Bologna!"

Jetfire/Skyfire. This one I go by the idea that they are TWO separate characters. The original was Jetfire who is more of a warrior and has the battle mask. He's the one that Budiansky wrote and was built by Shockwave before being reprogrammed by Buster Witwicky. Skyfire was the scientist who befriended Starscream and ended up being an Autobot transport (especially when they needed to get to the geographical center of Africa in TWO HOURS!) I find it interesting that Furman is making Skyfire exist in the Marvel continuity as well.

For this very reason I detest name slapping to keep up the trademark too. I understand why its done but it always comes across weird. Look at Armada with Wheeljack, Red Alert, and Smokescreen. Better names for them should have been Blackjack (or Rampage), Ratchet, and Grapple respectively. Yes I am aware of the Japanese names, which clearly fit better. Even the GARBAGE toy of Sideswipe appears to be a name switch from his Mini-Con Nightbeat since he was blue and he had the young and naive personality. I am okay with Hot Shot even though the character was conceived as Bumblebee. The two are clearly different. It just that NOW Bumblebee takes on many of the traits of Hot Shot instead of being the Autobot's kid brother.

I'm not particularly a fan of some of the names used in Beast Wars despite loving many of those characters like Cheetor, Rhinox, Rattrap. This is where the name is more in line with their alt mode instead of their function or personality quirk. If Cheetor transforms into a car (which he has with Botcon exclusives) then it looks weird unless its spotted up with cheetah prints.

There are exceptions to the rule. I still call him Flywheels and maybe he and Battletrap switched names during production but Skytread is a better suiting name. As is Twinferno over Doublecross.

8. Mako Crab

Mako Crab Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I got one but it’s a case of I preferred the old name better.

Prime Nova.

Remember when he used to be called Prime Nova? Now he’s just Nova Prime. Such a simple little thing, but putting Prime first in his name made him unique. I liked that.